My virgin smoke out!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sharpi

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Lafayette
OK

I am getting ready now. Just went to the grocery store and got kosher salt and apple juice among other things. I am going to try smoking an 8 pound Turkey Breast (Honeysuckle White) I think it has some rib meat and other stuff. It is thawing as we speak. I am using a weber kettle type of smoker that I have used as a regular grill for several years now. From what I have read I am going to use indirect heat...charcoal on one side and the bird tit on the other. I bought some square foil cake pans to use as drip pans etc. I have also been reading about using sand instead of water...which seems like a good idea since this will be a longer smoke and I surely don't want to risk sickness from not cooking hot enough.

I plan to brine the bird tit for about 12 hours and start cooking it early early Thanksgiving morning. It's just me and the kiddo so I don't have to have it done by any certain time...but it would be nice to have it near lunch time and be able to snack on it through the day. I figure at around 8 pounds I will end up cooking it about 5-6 hours. (all based on what i read)

I bought plenty of butter and have tons of good spices for rubbing and might even inject something or other because i have an injector/baster. I am open for any all suggestions...like I said this is my first attempt and everything I know is just stuff I have read and can remember.

Also it is going to be cold here Turkey-Day...like highs in the mid to upper 30's and possible snow flurries (I love snow so it probably won't happen!) Is this something that I should take into account with the cooking because of the ambient temperature around the grill?

I also bought the makings for ABTS and am considering making some of them as a trial run for starting a fire...keeping it hot etc. I will take suggestions on them as well...in fact if there is a good link on how to's for ABTS I wouldn't mind reading it. This forum is HUGE! I just figured out how to start a new thread!

I plan to post pictures to this thread as I get this turkey tit going...nothing too exciting for you experts I am sure but photography is a hobby for me so I plan to play with it and have a good time! Hope you either have suggestions for me or at least enjoy the thread with pictures and my usual antics.

Peace and Chicken (Turkey Tit) Grease!

cold is not the enemy of smoking.......i have smoke in below zero......takes longer to get up to temps that cold........but its the WIND that steals heat.......smoke in some kinda windbreak..........somewhere so that you are outta the wind.........mind you tho.......the wind shifts.......so you make have to make adjustments to whatever you are using as a windbreak

i will look up a abt thread for you

good luck.......i know i didn't answer ALL of your questions, but there will be others buy

d88de

Thanks for the links...yeah I think I might have to go and fire up the grill tonight and try some of those ABTs. I have only been dreaming about them for like a MONTH!!!

you mite either want to pre fry up JUST atad.......or nuke em just a minute or so......helps crisping up in the smokker

d88de

Thanks debi those are great links...I also read them last night but didn't bookmark them so thanks AGAIN!

Also...if this works out I think ima have to go and buy me a real smoker...or make one from a 55 gallon drum...I have access to those. LOL!

I think I'm hooked and all I've done is start a fire!

I will say that I will grill out in snow...love meat and veggies cooked over fire.

My tit is officially "brining."

I would take pictures but who wants to see a raw tit in some juice. Thanks debi for the recipes and guidelines!

I got a late start this morning...but it's all good because I have no schedule to keep. My fire is going ...sorta slow due to the snow flurries and dampness...but its finally going and getting hot. I plan to put the bird on in the next 20 minutes or so...it brined overnight. Wish me luck!

LUCK

just put my bird on...........snowed bout 3 inches last nite........so its a nice slippery mess outside.......

once again.......good luck

d88de

thats a difficult question.........mine is up.......others will say down

maybe flip it..........you have a thermo to check internal temps?

d88de

yup I do...I will start it up i guess and then turn it. I am just about to put it on! I took pics of it dressed up for the fire...will post after a while. :)

OK just checked my temp...I'm at 154 inside the breast and about 220 ambient...I have had a hella time keeping my temps up in the grill. I actually had to bring my bird inside and put it in the oven at 225 for about an hour earlier to get my fire temp back up. I need a better smoker...next time! It looks and smells delicious tho!

Now for the pictures...

I am content with my first smoking attempt. Think I was pretty brave to start with poultry...lets hope we don't get sick!

ugh...i have to have a URL for photos...that sucks! Lemme work on that!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky