My turn to try one too!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hurriken

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Chicagoland
I've been reading some of these fatty posts for a while now and I have to admit I was skeptical. I was concerned it would taste like a big overwhelming pile of grease but all the rave reviews convinced me that I had to try one for myself. I did it today. My wife had even more concern than me and even had a "just in case" meal stashed in the fridge.

Here are my ingredients: Johnsonville Beer style bratwurst (1lb), Krakow deli ham, Swiss Cheese, red pepper(from my garden), Onion, Mini Portabella mushrooms, and spinach, and the ever important bacon.

7add57f6_IMG_2258.jpg

The steps:

Sausage, ham, and cheese. Swiss cheese with no holes? Go figure.

80579be2_IMG_2259.jpg

After reading many of the posts here I really felt I needed to saute the onions. I added the pepper as well. I used olive oil and I seasoned with black pepper and Goya seasoning(an old simple favorite). I didn't use any other seasoning because the ham was a bit salty and the bacon would add salt for sure. I also did not want to hide the bratwurst seasoning.

1ea84449_IMG_2260.jpg

assembly.

b04e1379_IMG_2261.jpg

After this picture I finised the mushrooms and added a good pile of spinach in the middle and also diced up some more mushroom and put that on the last pile of spinach. I then used a cutting board to compress the ingredients.

I rolled that puppy up and wrapped it in bacon. I threw it on my Cook N Cajun for two hours and used hickory chips.

Before:

09e746ed_IMG_2262.jpg

After:

66472441_IMG_2263.jpg

My wife and daughter insisted on watching when I cut it. It smelled great by the way.

3b96cf9c_IMG_2268.jpg

82ab82a7_IMG_2270.jpg

Finally the money shot!

d724bc2b_IMG_2272.jpg

My wife roasted potatoes in the dutch oven and I steamed the rest of the spinach which I added mushrooms fried in butter and garlic. I have been told that I will be making this again. A very nice change of pace and some good dinner variety. Thanks for the influence all ye Fatty Smokers!

WOW!!!!

That looked GREAT! I think I am going to borrow that idea! I just looked at another poster that used sun dried tomatoes and I think I will add it to what you done.

Man you got to love this site I think I am on overload....lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky