My new toy has arrived

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The new controller board is on its way and I have just received a test telling me it will be delivered tomorrow morning. We are hoping that it will fix the problem. Too late unfortunately for the event I am catering for tomorrow... I will keep you updated 
icon14.gif

I can FedEx my MES40 to you. Be there tonight, I'll take an even swap just cause ya in a bind. No need for you to throw anything else in the trade.

I am really likeing that smoker, the more I read, the better it looks, but you'd have to be in the business to justify it.

Ok, Ok.... I'll even cover the freight to send the MES40 to you. Last offer?

I can FedEx my MES40 to you. Be there tonight, I'll take an even swap just cause ya in a bind. No need for you to throw anything else in the trade.

I am really likeing that smoker, the more I read, the better it looks, but you'd have to be in the business to justify it.

Ok, Ok.... I'll even cover the freight to send the MES40 to you. Last offer?
At the moment it is just worth the price of the scrap stainless steel - but tomorrow i am expecting the phoenix to rise from the ashes 
icon14.gif

Throw in a kegger of Coors and I may consider your offer 
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
I am quite certain the people at Cookshack will take care of you as you have already found.  Quite a nice piece of equipment you have there, I'm envious for sure.

Enjoy your new smoker, it's a dandy.

Tom

Hi Tom. Yes they are on the case and I cannot expect them to do any more at the moment. Tomorrow will be the awakening of the beast... I hope 
icon14.gif

Will it require a virgin sacrifice? 
No. I decided that I would try something different this week. The same old routine is starting to get a bit monotonous.

New controller board is in. Unfortunately the first test smoke with it has failed in the same was as it did before. 
icon_sad.gif

Hi Wade,

Below is from the Cookshack Forum it may help? Or is yours shutting down electrically? If it is you may have proven that the controller is Ok and it is something else triggering the shut down

Something else to be aware of with the FEC-120, is it likes a big load. If you want to smoke a few racks of ribs at 225 degrees, you may find the smoker sometimes puts itself out. Reason being the FEC is such an efficient smoker, that it will go to over 225 degrees easily, and stop feeding pellets until temp comes down. Sometimes the fire pellets will be burned up, and when the smoker decides it's time to feed pellets again, the fire isn't there. This has happened multiple times, and Cookshack concurs with my experiences - either raise temp up a bit or increase the load.

As an example, we smoke a full prime for our Ribeye sandwiches early in the week. I like to smoke it low and slow to rare. TO keep the smoker going around 230 to 235, I load a full pan of ice on the lower shelf to keep the smoker producing smoke and fire - if not, it would put itself out.

Hi Wade,

Below is from the Cookshack Forum it may help? Or is yours shutting down electrically? If it is you may have proven that the controller is Ok and it is something else triggering the shut down

Something else to be aware of with the FEC-120, is it likes a big load. If you want to smoke a few racks of ribs at 225 degrees, you may find the smoker sometimes puts itself out. Reason being the FEC is such an efficient smoker, that it will go to over 225 degrees easily, and stop feeding pellets until temp comes down. Sometimes the fire pellets will be burned up, and when the smoker decides it's time to feed pellets again, the fire isn't there. This has happened multiple times, and Cookshack concurs with my experiences - either raise temp up a bit or increase the load.

As an example, we smoke a full prime for our Ribeye sandwiches early in the week. I like to smoke it low and slow to rare. TO keep the smoker going around 230 to 235, I load a full pan of ice on the lower shelf to keep the smoker producing smoke and fire - if not, it would put itself out.

Thanks for looking Brian. Yes I saw something similar on there this morning and have had some success since my last post. It was recommended that for small loads you place a foil covered pan of water on the rack above and below the meat to simulate a heavier meat loading. This I have done and i have been smoking some test rib trimmings in there which have now almost completed a complete cycle (and are still going strong) 
icon14.gif
. That may have cracked the problem.

The CEO of Cookshack does not have this problem when smoking small loads though

Last edited:
That's great news, obviously Darren doesn't know about this solution at ABBQ or he would have said. 

I cracked the 5 degree increments controller problem for him too. The controller was meant for the New Zealand Market not the UK

He was working on the problem with the Cookshack tech support in the US last week so I guess they are not aware of it either.

only the guy said.

This has happened multiple times, and "Cookshack" concurs with my experiences

Remember you are across the pond and instead of holding your tongue of the right side of your mouth on start up, you need to reverse flow with that fonky power you got. Try holding your tongue on the LEFT side.

Hope that solves the problem.

Really sorry for your problems Wade, nothing worse than a new toy and no batteries!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky