My first home made mozzarella. Inspired by SmokinAl and Da Mrs with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Do either of you have an opinion about trying to do 2 gallons at once? My stainless pot is huge and I could probably get 3 gallons in easy but I really want to try 2 gallons at once. If I just double the rennet and citric acid will I be ok? I'm dying to make tons of this stuff!!!
Ya me too! I just got the  rennet and citric acid from the cheese queen in the mail and picked up a gallon of milk after work today. Xmas Mozzerella anyone?!

Just gonna do 1 gallon to start with, but I might get carried away with myself;.

Looks awesome Teez!

SOB

To all the Mozz makers, thanks very much.... Hit the local health food store... Got liquid vegetable rennet, bulk citric acid granules and was ""looking"" at their Non GMO non homogenized low temp pasteurized whole organic milk that said "shake well" before using at $5.89 Gallon.

Dave

PS: I haven't learned how to make really good sausage yet and I'm learning how to make cheese ???

Save sausage for another day. The cheese will be done in 30 minutes.
sausage.gif

Great job Teez. I bought a kit from the Cheese Queen and made some about 6 months ago. I had the same problem where I had to keep microwaving the stuff to get it to firm up and it wasn't bad considering my first time. I have a kit now to make farmhouse cheddar, gouda, etc. so I'm itching to try it, just need to make a cheese press and get a different mold then the one they sent in the kit...it's tapered and I don't have a plate that size to use as a follower.

Always a great feeling saying you did it yourself and it didn't turn out that bad. Thumbs Up :beercheer:

If you have a big container I don't see why you couldn't double or triple the recipe.

Dave the [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Non GMO non homogenized low temp pasteurized whole organic milk would be awesome for this purpose.[/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]A little pricey, but I think the cheese will have a richer flavor & texture.[/color]

Teez

Now you gotta smoke some fresh mozzarella and eat it with beer or red wine

Todd

Do either of you have an opinion about trying to do 2 gallons at once? My stainless pot is huge and I could probably get 3 gallons in easy but I really want to try 2 gallons at once. If I just double the rennet and citric acid will I be ok? I'm dying to make tons of this stuff!!!
I think it would work with no problem

Anybody know if the citric acid is the same as the encapsulated citric acid we use for sausage?  Or if it matters?

Good luck and good smoking.

I tried to reach the cheese and wine store to ask this question for you but they are closed for the holidays

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky