My First Exchange! With mballi3011

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the dude abides

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 12, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
This is cool. A while back I saw that mballi had made mention that he'd never had or seen Cavender's Seasoning after someone posted that they'd used it on one of their smokes. Finally an opportunity. I let Mark know that I'd been using this stuff for years and offered up an exchange. So I packed up that and a couple of my favorite sauces and rubs + a few things I've never tried, but deemed them local to the Midwest and something he might not have access to in Florida.

I think his package might have beat mine in delivery. Here's what showed up today from Mark. ***Special Note*** I brought the box home from work and was getting ready to open it. My wife was asking me what it was. When I told her she said "look at you. You'd think it was Christmas." LOL Heck yes it is.

Mark sent me 3 different sauces. Left to right...
1. Big Rick's Jalapeno Honey Mustard
2. Datil B Good Sloppy Good BBQ Glaze
3. Jack's Hillbilly Bar-B-Que Soppin' Sauce
ry%3D400

and a whole slew of different rubs...
1. Ole Ray's - Rubb-it
2. Gator Mike's Spicy Cajun Creole Rub
3. Bad Byron's Jubilee Seafood Seasoning
ry%3D400

4. C'untry Boyz Rub
-Loved the label on this one "You don't have to be a redneck to use this product, BUT IT HELPS!" HAHA
ry%3D400

and my wife's favorite...
5. Gator Hammock Cooter Rubb
(reading the label I learned that a cooter is a soft shell turtle)
ry%3D400

And my favorite, (probably a new oil rag... just kidding) cause it'll be awesome if my Iowa Hawkeyes get to play them in a bowl game
ry%3D400

I can't wait to do my next smoke. And you can bet I'll be wearing this Gator shirt when I do.

Thanks Mark! Great Exchange. Hope you like what I sent to you.

Woot!!!! A Gator shirt!!!!! That is top to anything else he sent you. Nice exchange Dude!!

Nice Exchange...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I think you should have held out for a BIG Hunk of Gator Meat...
icon_mrgreen.gif
Gotta try smoken new things...

wow a gator shirt!!!
should say national champs two times with a third right around the corner!

Mballi, i can trade some good stuff worthy of that shirt, plenty of jamaican grocery stores around here

Great trade but the best part has to be that GATOR shirt!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks like a great trade - you both will have fun for a long time with that

I'm willing to trade. I have access to Gator stuff too ya know ;) My Food Lion carries some local rubs and sauces that I highly recommend. If anyone in NC area has some vinegar based sauces or white BBQ sauces and some pulled pork finishers they want to exchange, message me. I'd like to set a limit of $40 on the exchange package.

Your welcome there Jay it was fun just putting it all together. You didn't give me a area in which you wanted stuff actually I think you put "Captains Choice" so I just went out an found a couple of rubs and sauces that were local or close. I see the most liked was the cooter rub (it really is for turtle) and "The Shirt" yepper I had to throw in a GATOR shirt if you wanted something good from northeast Florida. I really glad you like all the stuff. Enjoy and the Games at 3:30 sat.

PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif

GO GATORS

That's exactly the best part about the exchange. The fun of deciding what you think someone would like, the search for "local" stuff you normally don't pay much attention to 'cause you see it everytime you go to the store.

Great to hear you all are continuing the Great Adventure the SMF has become, and congratulations on an exciting exchange. Can't wait to have Mark post his end!

Awesome package that you put together Mark! The exchanges are a blast...Just like a kid at Christmas tearing into those things.

Oh, who are these Gators that you all speak so highly of?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Didn't they have something on Animal Planet about how they are becoming a Nuisance down there coming into peoples yards...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Well I just couldn't resist trying out a couple of the sauces tonight! The wifey-poo laid out some skinless chicken breasts this morning to thaw out to make something for dinner. I volunteered to make some homemade chicken fingers (just used the recipie on the back of the Bisquik box) since everyone in the house loves them and they're not too difficult to make.
So I thought I'd give a couple of the sauces a try with these. We tried the Jalepeno Honey Mustard and the Hillbilly BBQ Soppin Sauce. My preferece was the Soppin Sauce, at least with the chicken fingers. I thought the Jalepeno Honey Mustard was a little hot for me. I added some extra honey to it to sweeten it up and liked it a lot.

Dude Jr., my 9 year old, usually only uses ketchup. He puts ketchup on everything. When he saw me get out the honey he tried some of that plain and liked it. I said that he shoud try the sauces. So I put a little into a couple of bowls for him. At first he said he liked the JHM because it tasted like the Hot and Spicy Cheez-its that he likes. Weird kid. Then after a while he changed his mind and said he liked the soppin sauce better. So I think he was torn.

Here's a shot of him eating. We were all done 20 minutes earlier. The kid has never had a hot meal because he screws around so much. LOL Left to right...ketchup, JHM, Soppin Sauce, plain ol honey. Along with a plate with part of a chicken finger, some rice pilaf and some corn.
ry%3D400

Thanks again Mark. It's "Dude Jr. Approved"!

Dude that is soo funny
Our kid used to spend at least an hour at the table a couple of times evey week cause he would not finish his dinner
We never cooked the same dinner twice in a month so he could not develop an attitude against a particular dish
I love those memories even with the pain
He now has 3 kids of his own and is the cook and has the same rule - funny how they learn

Hey Dude, I want that shirt, how much do you want for it! Seriously I need something to scare the squirrels out of my tree and I think that Shirt is just what I am looking for!!!

Let me know, willing to pay top dollar for it.

zjaybird

Man what a package, I am green with envy. Love the shot of the kid.
Whats a Gator?? That shirt would make a good long load flag when you buy lumber.

My Kids wouldn't eat liver & onions, in fact they used to pretend to barf every time I cooked liver in the house. My wife used to go visit her sister upstairs whenever I cooked it. So one day I sliced the liver into squares, dredged it in flour and spices gave it an egg wash coated it with panko bread crumbs and told them I was frying Man Eating shark steaks. Both the son and the daughter thought that was really cool. I didn't do onions with it because that may tip them off. They both loved it. Ate the whole lot of it. So for the next 10 years or so I fed them it every weekend. My wife knew what it was right away and refused to eat "shark. " Kids called her chicken. When they grew up and had left home I got a phone call from my daughter, she couldn't find the kind of Shark her dad used to make. The fishmonger was no help. I finally told her the truth. She hung up in a snit. Next day She phoned my wife to find out if I was kidding. Next time I visited ( 3600 mile trip ) She served it to us and her kids loved it. They dont eat liver either.

Anyway.... nice score

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky