my first chicken smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

davidhef88

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 24, 2011
Rochester, NY
bfe84413_100_6546.jpg

tender, juicy, smokey, deliciousness.  My wife got me a master forge vertical gas smoker for fathers day and I think it is the best gift I have ever received.  The best part is that she also loves the food that I have cooked in it. 

thanks everyone for the compliments.  they came out great.  it was only my second smoke, but I think I'm getting the hang of this

David, would you be willing to run through your method on the Master Forge for cooking these birds?

I have a new one and just "hail Mary'd" a bird in there a couple of minutes ago.

Nuts,  I dry rubbed them threw them in right on the racks, with the smoker at about 230.  I beleive it took close to 3 hrs. 165 internal temp. I smoked with apple wood and they were delish. After that smoke I got a self stick flat fire place gasket and sealed both doors.  keeps the smoke and heat in a little better which is a little nicer to the Lp tank

Thanks David.

Mine's been running for 30 minutes and she's all smoked out. I'm using a combination of chunked & chipped hickory. Any suggestions to get a longer burn on the wood??

you don't need alot of smoke.  just barely able to see it and smell it is enough.  The chunks I buy I split even smaller with a hatchet, into about one inch by one inch squares.  I usually have to put more water in the pan every 45 min to one hr so I will just throw a couple pieces in then.  I sometimes soak them but have never really noticed a difference when I did.

Glad you mentioned the water pan, I might have forgotten about it. ;-D

I guess my cooking with charcoal may have me looking for smoke where as the propane gasser isn't as visible.

Feeding that smoke box at temp is a trick...

Appreciate the help!

I use a long set of tongs and just pull the lid and toss a couple chunks in.  I only use chips in the begining before it gets to temp for that reason.  I am working on some ideas for a auto matic water system for  keep ing the water pan full I will keek you informed on it when I do iTrying to keep it very simple.

Please do sir!

If my bird turns out half as good as yours looks I'll be a happy man.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky