My first 80Gal RF build... This is going to be a blast!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Alaska; my angle iron for my bottom grate is flush with the bottom of the door opening. It can just slide right out. Hope this is what you are asking. As far as the top grate; if your pit is vented properly you shouldn't "smoke out" the food. Just my thoughts. Thanks.

Alaska; my angle iron for my bottom grate is flush with the bottom of the door opening. It can just slide right out. Hope this is what you are asking. As far as the top grate; if your pit is vented properly you shouldn't "smoke out" the food. Just my thoughts. Thanks.
Thats exactly what I was asking about….Thanks! Wasn't sure if putting an upper grate in was going to work since this is an 80 gal tank

Alaska,

Howdy.  I'll give you my 2 cents worth on the smoke issue....for what it's worth.  My top rack is way high too.  I've been experimenting with different techniques.  First off when I over smoke something it's usually because I don't get a good burn on my wood first.  When I put my meat on before the heavy smoke that often happens until the wood catches good...bang my wife gives me the blues....this is too smokey....The other thing I've learned is the amount of time I let it smoke before I wrap it.  I smoke a brisket or pork butt for 4-7 hours before I wrap them...depends on size.  Ribs...2 hours.....and turkeys about 4 hours.  If I have to add wood to the fire I try to do it while I have a really good bed of coals to make sure the new wood catches fast and thus just a little heavy smoke.  Thin and blue...the best is when you really have to look to see the smoke.  Practice, practice, practice......

Wasn't sure if putting an upper grate in was going to work since this is an 80 gal tank
A removable upper rack is nice for when your doing ribs, or chicken that take up a lot of rack space, and all you really need is about 6" between racks for that, could even sqeeze it down to 5" if you had to and be alright. For normal cooks, you just remove the top rack and hang it on the back of the cooker, out of the way. With the bottom rack able to slide out, even at 5" spacing, you will have plenty of room to work the food.

I will suggest , that with pull out racks, you leave your serving shelf low enough to set a drip pan on with the rack extended out, or you will end up with juice all over the front of the cooker and your feet!

You build is looking great Jerome............... I 'll be getting back to mine real soon.............. Keep up the good work

Joe

Good evening everyone... Here are the latest photos on my build!

I got the RF Plate cut and welded into place.
Then I got my rails made and because of everyone's suggestions I added the angle iron to keep the racks from tipping.
Next came the racks which I made from 1in square tubing
Then added the expanded metal. Check out my birthday present from my son... Made a big difference with the numerous welds.
Decided to add something different for my handles... Intake valves from a 1946 F4-134 Willys Jeep Motor.... Kinda Cool I thought..
Next comes an additional piece of expanded metal on the side of the rack so I don't have some Q fall under the RF plate.... That's all for now.

Now that's what I look for in a build....something custom to you...the valves...cooooool man. great job on your q. You won't regret the angle rack HD downs either!

Sure looking good, you will be glad you went with the top rack, I know you are ready to see some meat on those racks.

Gary

P.S.    65º here today

Sure looking good, you will be glad you went with the top rack, I know you are ready to see some meat on those racks.

Gary

P.S.    65º here today

Hey Gary…. After putting the top rack in it made more sense to me especially when someone mentioned its a good place for the ribs. I like the after thought you just were popping at the seams to mention…..65 degrees when it was 22 up here. I cannot complain though since its -42 last night where my sons at.

I need some help with thermometers, as in I don't have a clue what to use. I don't know if there is a forum member that sells them but if thats the case Im all about supporting a member. It seems like the right way to do this is to have two so aside from that Im at a loss. Thanks

Alaska,

Looking good.  Great call on the 2nd shelf, great for ribs, wings, ABTs.  

I've done some reading on thermometers.  Tel-Tru and Taylor are some of the best ones out there as far as accuracy.  A good accurate thermo is important to me.  They are also the most $$.  I am planning on placing my thermo's about 2-4 inches above my main cooking grate, using a short 2-3" stem.  The short stem will keep it from hanging up on the shelves or food items.  I'm still not sure about placing 1 or 2.  That's a "looks" thing for me. 

I have a Maverick 732 wireless that I will use as my main temp reading.  I did also get some Taylor oven thermos that sit on the rack, these were pretty inexpensive ($7).  I also have a magnetic stove thermometer I plan on using on my FB so I can get an idea on hot the FB burns. 

Hope this helps out a bit, I'm a tech kind of guy, love my meters / gauges. 

RG

There is a new site sponsor Fire-Craft, and they carry some Tel-Tru (but not all sizes), and the prices are pretty fair compared to Amazon.  . 

Link to FireCraft

http://www.firecraft.com/category/bbq-thermometers

Alaska, good morning   I have River Country and Tel-Tru   The Tel-Tru is a better quality gauge, I bought the River Country because I got a deal on several. One thing that happened on a couple was there was moisture accumulating inside the gauge, I contacted River Country, they asked me to shoot them a picture of the problem gauge, I did and in about 3 or 4 days I had a new gauge.The one I am using now I have not experienced any problems with. I check it several times a year for accuracy by putting the stem into boiling water so far right on the money.

Another 65º day here today all week I think  hoping yard will dry out so I can get the rest of the pine needles raked up and mowed over before it rains again.

Gary

Alaska, morning..... when you find a therm, and place it in the smoker, you don't have to worry about it reading the correct temperature of where the meat is in the smoker..... It will be an indicator.... when you get the smoker up and running, with meat etc. in it, a remote therm next to the meat on the rack, and the installed therm in the CC, there will be a difference... Note the difference and adjust from there.... they could read from 0 deg difference to 30 deg difference... just something you have to live with.... Dave

wont be long........................
grilling_smilie.gif

th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

The mass air flow indicators for the intakes I usually buy from Hyperderm, radial jets from Summet, digital tachyon converters from Nasa, if I don't have time to make my own...

Gotcha.... You forgot they blue tooth WiFi enabled WPS encrypted dense wave multiplex GUI smartphone APP to control that jet trash.... LOL

Hey Alaska, any progress, can't wait to see

Gary

R W    any progress on yours?

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky