My build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indy_nubie

Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Indianapolis
Ok so found alot of inspiration in this forum and figured I would add my build. I decided not to bore you with the been there done that cutting the lid,fabbing the firebox, ect here's some pic's

All that's left is the reverse flow plate, cooking grates, and the handle for the lid (stainless steel from a retired propane grill). Anyway thanks for looking. Oh and paint of course.

Yeah the train was a birthday "gift" to my 7 and 11 year old from my parents when they where younger. I say "gift" 'cause they live down south and I live in Indianapolis, so I had to go get all the materials cut them all to length and help assemble. But it did turn out aight and the boys have really had a good time playing on it.

I would like to build another at some point but I'm getting a little burned out on it atm, working full time+ with 4 kids and other obligations leaves me a couple hours in the evening and as much time as I can squeeze in on the weekends to get as much done as possible. As such I have been sacrificing things (like sleep) in order to get this thing done. Also I have a brewstand to build as soon as this is painted. All things considered I would probably do a few things differently such as using a propane tank instead of an old air compressor tank (old as in 30ish years) that would save me several hours of cleaning anyway. Also the steel for the firebox was from the placards off an old CMS overhead crane we had laying in the boneyard at work. Both of these were the right price ($0) but cost time and labor instead. If I were to do it again I would probably order the steel cut to size and not mess with trying to get a deal(free) stuff that costs me time and energy, just not worth it sometimes. All that said it's nearly done and it didn't kill me so............

Mcmaster carr, fastenall, granger industrial or my favorite steal them off of my welding table :)
Looking good

Ok little more done tonight, then I ran out of wire.......again. I don't have access to a sheet metal brake so my only choice is to score the reverse flow plate with a cut off wheel till I can get it to bend and then weld it back up

Then I went to weld it in and got almost half way there when the wire gave out.

Oh well needed to cut the tie in to the firebox and the end cap on the reverse flow plate anyway, I'll get some more wire tomorrow and see if I can't get this finished up and ready for paint by Sat.

Your documentation of your smoker build is greatly appreciated. Keep the Q-views coming.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Ok here's last nights progress, was too tired by the time I quit to take pics or post. Finished welding the reverse flow plate, end cap, and firebox tie in then cut and welded in the grate slides then fab'd the lower grate. I welded the uppers too high so I'll prob do a hanging grate on the upper.

That's lookin pretty nice and really heavy duty and it looks like you could cook for the entire neighborhood with it. I hope to bite the bullet and do one from scratch one day too.

I do have a question though. From the short amount of time I've been looking into this whole smoker thing, it seems that the stack would be on the the other end if not on the side in the opposite end from the fire box. What do I not understand here?

In a traditional smoker with tuning plates and such yes but this is a reverse flow. It has a plate that spans almost the entire length of the smoke chamber that the smoke and heat must pass under before heading back and to the chimney.

Small amount of progress tonight due to mother in law emergency, but the upper grate is done.

I get it now, thanks.
I need to look at your pics more closely. I didn't realize that the heat had to travel under that last V shaped plate you added. When I look closer I can see the gap on the left end. Makes a whole lot more sense to me know.

Ok so she's done. Spent fri doing the little stuff that was needed to get ready for paint i.e. fab'd the handle mounts (decided to go with a wood handle) and the lid stop and finish up a couple other minor details (staining the wood ect.) here are the pics thanks for looking and more so thank you to everyone who has post builds before me that gave me ideas and motivation(though SWMBO my not feel the same way).

preping for paint

first coat

starting to come together

and here she sits bathing in the sun

I say this knowing it sounds like I'm patting myself on the back but she turned out better than I could have ever hoped. I'm really glad I went with the wood handle and tray they really add something visually that I hadn't anticipated.

That looks nice, really really nice. There'll be some happy smokin with that thing for a long long time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky