Mr T's "Smoked Cheese From Go To Show" w/ Q- View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
to all,

watch the ones with two temps and you can build them into a cabinet. ours was good ( two temps ) but would freeze up due to circulation. needed to turn down and throttle back on it. then the temps were off. it was a Vino Temp great unit just not good for our application. just a heads up for what you look for. the new unit is a vino temp but different installation in the new ranch and performing fine.

Tom

Going to give smoked cheese/butter a try for a first time tonight, bought blocks of mild and sharp cheddar, mozz, pepper jack, colby, monterey jack, and some butter all to throw in the smoker.

Nice and chilly here in Iowa, so they'll go in the MES30 (unplugged) with the AMPNS.

Plan of attack:

Cut 1lb blocks of cheese/butter in half length wise, keeping good space between blocks. Smoke 3 to 4 hours with AMPNS, keeping interior temp under 75 degrees and rotating racks every 30 minutes and flipping cheese/butter every hour.

Now, the one thing I've got a bit of confusion on is letting the cheese dry after it comes from the smoker. I've seen a couple different opinions, but the general consensus seems to be to put on a rack in slightly open 2gal zip bags with a spacer to keep the plastic off the cheese, overnight or for a few hours prior to vac sealing?

Once vac sealed, best to age for a bare minimum of 2 weeks in a cool place (thinking basement, as it stays consistently around mid 60s).

nrdk,

Sounds like you've got a good game plan which was similar to what I had mapped out.  Yes, put your cheese on a rack inside the slightly opened zip bag so the cheese does not touch the bag at least overnight or when there is no more moisture on your cheese.  Then you can vacuum seal.  You can store your cheese in a cool place or in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks.

I'm planning on doing my 2nd round of cheese this weekend since a lot of it was consumed during Thanksgiving.  I learned from my first mistakes so I think this time around will go much smoother.  Keep notes since that will allow you to perfect your cheese craft!

Shed

Yes, you are good to go.  As SoCal mentioned , once the moisture, if any has evaporated, it may be sealed or waxed for longer storage.

Keep a close eye on the internal temp as the AMNPS does put more heat out than one would expect, especially if placed in a insulated collector.

No need to flip the cheese.  If you are changing racks because of the heat, try to refrain from doing so even if you have to smoke again as you are constantly allowing the smoke to escape.  Not only will your product be done sooner, you wont be putting all your eggs in the same basket.

Keep track of the time, but learn how to smoke to a desired color for each of your cheeses.  Note the ambient and the internal collector temperature along with the smoke density and color. 

The basement should be fine, but keep an eye on it to insure good seals.  

Take your time and have fun.  No need to make a job out of it. If heat becomes a problem, it can easily be taken care of.

Enjoy,

Tom

Top: 1 lb Monterey jack, 1 lb extra sharp cheddar, 1 lb butter split in half

Bottom: 1 lb Colby, 1 lb Pepperjack, 1 lb Mozzerela, 1 lb Sharp Cheddar

Got it started about a half hour ago, thanks for the help guys. Not going to touch it until 10.

Got the AMNPS loaded with a row and a half of the smokedaddy perfect mix and a beer cracked to wait it out.

Last edited:
Took butter out after hour and a half, couldn't resist trying it even after telling myself not to, just as disgusting as everyone says. Wrapped back up, placed in ziploc, sealed, and placed in fridge for some time.

Cheese looking good, had to open the door for a bit to cool back down. Added a bag of ice to help regulate temp

Looking good so far.  With the amount of smoke you are using, try smoking your butter for fifteen minutes and adjust from there.  So many oversmoke products for whatever reason then complain about the process or equipment. They are then discouraged from trying something new again at their loss.  Start out with short durations and build from there and keep good notes.

Tom

Looking good so far.  With the amount of smoke you are using, try smoking your butter for fifteen minutes and adjust from there.  So many oversmoke products for whatever reason then complain about the process or equipment. They are then discouraged from trying something new again at their loss.  Start out with short durations and build from there and keep good notes.

Tom
Thinking that would have been best, but what's done is done. Will give it a few weeks before trying the butter again.

Checked the cheese this AM prior to work, was dry so went ahead and vac sealed all individually and placed in basement, sitting at around 68 degrees when checked this morning.

Thanks for all the invaluable help Tom, hoping here in a couple weeks it'll be well mellowed in time for Christmas baskets.

Thinking that would have been best, but what's done is done. Will give it a few weeks before trying the butter again.

Checked the cheese this AM prior to work, was dry so went ahead and vac sealed all individually and placed in basement, sitting at around 68 degrees when checked this morning.

Thanks for all the invaluable help Tom, hoping here in a couple weeks it'll be well mellowed in time for Christmas baskets.

nrdk, morning.... Personally, I would not stored vacuum packed cheese at room temperature.... The possibility of botulism toxin is present.... It may be a small possibility but it's still there.... Age it in the refer at 38 or below...

nrdk, morning.... Personally, I would not stored vacuum packed cheese at room temperature.... The possibility of botulism toxin is present.... It may be a small possibility but it's still there.... Age it in the refer at 38 or below...
Yea, funny you should mention that, SWMBO thought the same thing, came across it this morning after I left for work and moved it to the fridge, texted me asking why I went to all the work just to forget the cheese in the basement 
laugh1.gif

Last edited:
What a top read Mr T and all who have contributed.
I'm going to do the letter box mod to my keg smoker for cold smokes, but would like some done for Christmas..

One question though. How the hell do you keep it for 12 years??? That would kill me lol..

But on a serious not I'm thinking of wax covering the cheese as presentation plays a big part.. Is it safe to apply a simple sticker to the wax for id reasons?
Or should I be tying a tag to it with string??

Thanks again

nrdk,  I am not going to get into a long discussion about botulism on this thread or on this forum, but there are a few things that one should understand about it. Bot spores are present in everything we eat.  It takes a certain environment for them to grow and become hazardous.  Some think that if a product is simply absent of oxygen it is heaven for bot spores.  I have even seen on this forum that closing the lid on a grill is dangerous.  A couple things that must be considered in inhibiting bot spores in cheese is acidity and pH which is never mentioned.  If botulism is a concern, do research on it.  

Talk to a reputable cheese monger and ask why they refrigerate there hard cheeses and they will most likely tell you that it is a general perception here in the United States that cheese must be refrigerated and many won't buy it if it is setting out.  Just think of all the Old World cheese around the world that is aged in caves at temps in the 50° range.  In short, store your cheese at whatever temperature you feel comfortable with. 

Tom

For what it's worth.... excerpt from the link below..... Spores can be picked up on your kitchen counter from root veggies or darn near anything else.... The possibility is very rare...

Cheese and other dairy products can also be contaminated with the bacterium. For example, in 1999, researchers in Rome, Italy, reported testing 1,017 commercially produced mascarpone cheese samples, as well as 260 samples from other dairy products. Of the mascarpone samples, 331 samples, or 33%, tested positive for botulinum spores. The 7 samples previously identified as being involved in an outbreak of foodborne botulism were contaminated with type A botulism. Of the other dairy products, 11 samples tested positive for spores. The researchers determined that, for mascarpone cheese, at 28 degrees C ( 82 degrees F), the bacterium germinated after 3 days and produced toxins on the fourth day.

http://www.tarakharper.com/b_botuln.htm

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=710035

Last edited:
For what it's worth.... excerpt from the link below..... Spores can be picked up on your kitchen counter from root veggies or darn near anything else.... The possibility is very rare...

Cheese and other dairy products can also be contaminated with the bacterium. For example, in 1999, researchers in Rome, Italy, reported testing 1,017 commercially produced mascarpone cheese samples, as well as 260 samples from other dairy products. Of the mascarpone samples, 331 samples, or 33%, tested positive for botulinum spores. The 7 samples previously identified as being involved in an outbreak of foodborne botulism were contaminated with type A botulism. Of the other dairy products, 11 samples tested positive for spores. The researchers determined that, for mascarpone cheese, at 28 degrees C ( 82 degrees F), the bacterium germinated after 3 days and produced toxins on the fourth day.

http://www.tarakharper.com/b_botuln.htm

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=710035
Morning Dave,  Mascarpone is a very soft cheese, not at all what I would age at warmer temps. 

Tom

What a top read Mr T and all who have contributed.
I'm going to do the letter box mod to my keg smoker for cold smokes, but would like some done for Christmas..

One question though. How the hell do you keep it for 12 years??? That would kill me lol..

But on a serious not I'm thinking of wax covering the cheese as presentation plays a big part.. Is it safe to apply a simple sticker to the wax for id reasons?
Or should I be tying a tag to it with string??

Thanks again
Thank you.

Your mod will help you very much. There are so many things that can be cold smoked.

It's difficult to store cheese for long periods, but well worth it.  As your inventory builds though, it gets somewhat easier.

Apply three coats, one hot and the others cooler, after applying the second coat, place your sticker while the wax is still tacky.  When the third coat is applied your sticker will be secured.

Enjoy your cheese.

Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky