MES Digital Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok so I ended up buying the Master Forge 30" digital smoker at Lowes for $179. So far so good. I seasoned then smoked some brats just to get a feel for everything. Next I loaded it up with two 3.5lb flat briskest and two 7.5lb pork butts. Those turned out very moist and tender but since I smoked them in shallow foil pans not a lot of bark :( Today I threw in a 7.75 picnic and I'm going the no foil method. I can honestly say I'm pleased with the results so far. Nice bark, and smelling good. I'm in the middle of the stall right now, so no q-view until the temp starts rising again. I haven't purchased the AMNPS yet, but generating smoke hasn't been an issue yet with this smoker. Chips last over an hour and because I'm mopping every hour anyway it's just as easy to dump more in after I mop. So far I'm thrilled with the results.

I own the MES 30 and every time I open the door to mop or baste or to take out the AMNPS to re-light it and then put it back in I lose about 20-30 degrees of heat and have to wait about 20 minutes for the smoker to return to the target temp. Do you have this same problem with the Master Forge when mopping every hour?

My Master Forge does loose about 20-30 degrees when i mop, but gets back up to heat in 5 minutes or so. It has an 800 watt element and come back up to heat fast.

You should have got the 40" which has 1200 watts. After closing door,  it's back up to temp well under 5 mins.  Twenty or thirty minutes seems way too long. could be an element or controller problem and maybe a conversation with MB customer service is in order. Trust me they Masterbuilts' do screw up. I know this as I am in the process of sending back my second unit. Don't let your 90 warranty lapse without resolving any problems. I paid them $99 to get a 2 year warranty and they may wish they never sold it to me. 

Bill

I open/close the door as quickly as possible, and if the temp drops I close the vent for a few minutes and it comes right back up.

LOL---He's a Great Son !!!

He bought me a brand new 2008 Dodge Ram for my 60th Birthday. He said he was afraid my '94 was going to fall apart in front of a big truck on the highway!!!

I had been keeping it, because with my health, I figured the '94 would outlive me!!!

Somebody did a Helluva Job raising that kid!!!
biggrin.gif

Bear
Darn, can I adopt him! I need a new truck!!!

Picked up my MES 30" 20070910 last night and opened it this morning.  The only real assembly remaining was putting on the digital controls, which was the mfr's only real opportunity to leave out a part, as the rest of the unit came pre-assembled.  And they took advantage of the opportunity.  The "hardware kit" was nowhere to be found, and I went through every scrap of material in the box.  But I went ahead and hooked it up and will find some screws tomorrow.  I was a little surprised too, that they missed the screws.  After all, it must be an upscale product, as I noted that it's imported!

All the interior parts were present and fit properly.  The unit's feet were right on for level out of the box.  However, the back of the unit was not flush with the top right at the point of one of the missing screws.  A bit of insulation shows.  If the screw can snug it up that will cure that flaw.

I seasoned it carefully following Jeff's instructions, which differed only slightly from those in the manual.  He was right on.

I just ordered the Maverick late last week and hope it arrives tomorrow, as I'd like to get smoking.  After the 3 hour break in was concluded I put one of those $6 round oven thermometers in it and let it sit at least 15 minutes.  When I opened the door to check it showed nearly 200.  The smoker's digital readout was reading 205.  That has me anxious to get a Maverick reading, as that oven thermometer is consistently 50 degrees low in the oven.  But that is at temps of 350 and  up, so it may be right on at this low temp.  We'll see.

The unit's temp readout was pretty consistent between 272 and 275.  But if that controls the heating element and it's way off, well...

I do have one question that maybe can be answered here without  starting a new thread.  Was there anything else other than a pair of screws in that missing "hardware package"?  I will call the company Monday morning, but I'm curious today.

Meatloaf & brats tomorrow, with or without the new thermometer!

Hi. I have the same smoker. Nope all that came was the screws to mount the digital control box.

I have the same smoker as well. I thought they didn't give me the screws as well but I double checked and the screws were there. There was so much packing I missed them the first time :D

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: gimmeharmony
Thanks, guys.  I went thru the packing pretty carefully, looking for them.  But I'll bet they are hidden in there somewhere.  Maybe I should go take another look.  Why couldn't they just be taped to the device?

They were in a pretty small plastic bag. And I agree they maybe should have been taped right to the control box or maybe put in a large plastic bag with the owners manual, etc.

I would also recommend getting the Maverick thermometer. I've found the MES to be up to 15 degrees off at times.

This was my first smoker but it has worked well so far!

Enjoy!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Sure enough, I found them.  Due to the deformed back panel the "passenger" side holes are not lining up.  I think I'll just drill another hole in the back panel at an angle and live with it.

I googled AMNPS.  Sounds like something I may want in the future.  For now I'm still waiting to smoke my first food.  This smoking thing reminds me of my first boat.  By the time I bought all the stuff we "had" to have, we couldn't afford enough gas to get out of the slip! 
32.gif

Wow, my MES also has an 800 watt heating element but it takes a lot longer for it to heat back up again. Don't know why since I don't see any smoke leaking thru the doors or anywhere other than the top vent.

The 30-inch was in my price range, the 40-inch way out of it. I've read the MBs do have a thermostat accuracy problem but I've had mine over a year and has done this from the start. I'll write customer service and see what they're willing to do.

Wrote them a couple of days ago; no answer yet.

Last edited:
Sure enough, I found them.  Due to the deformed back panel the "passenger" side holes are not lining up.  I think I'll just drill another hole in the back panel at an angle and live with it.

I googled AMNPS.  Sounds like something I may want in the future.  For now I'm still waiting to smoke my first food.  This smoking thing reminds me of my first boat.  By the time I bought all the stuff we "had" to have, we couldn't afford enough gas to get out of the slip! 
32.gif
LOL----I used to have a "Skeeter" Bass Boat, and I learned a Boat is a Hole in the water that you throw Money into!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky