MES Digital Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kirka62

Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Boston, Ma
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a new model; MES digital smoker either the
[h1]Masterbuilt 30'' Elite Digital Electric Smoker Manufacturer model #: 20070213.[/h1]
or the
[h1]Masterbuilt 30'' Electric Smokehouse with Viewing Window Manufacturer model #: 20070312.[/h1]
I am hesitant  as  I have seen several complaints about the digital controllers not working on these models. Could anyone here either confirm or deny this? Is one model more likely to be hassle free likely than the other? If there is a problem does MES stand behind these units for service. I am guessing they both have 800 watt elements is that sufficient power for the 30" models?

Thanks

Kurt

Both have the same control units and both are the new generation which have had some problems. Masterbuilt has been aware of this and have responded with good custmer service but...... I went over three months for my 40 and finally had to give up as they kept sending me bad units. Having said that when these things are working they are great units. I had an older mes 40 for a few years and loved it. As for the element 800 watts works well in the 30. Hope you get a good one.

With Bear on this one...the MES with a AMNPS is a perfect pairing. Like anything else, hearing good news vs bad....bad news always comes out fast and furious, good seems to lurk in the background, but I would be curious to see what the actual percentage of bad units that MES has. I'm willing to bet it is much lower than most would think by reading around places like this.

The one on the link is not the gen 2. And its not a 20070312.....which is a good thing. Thats the tried and true 0311 40 inch with remote, top vent, and 1200 watt element. Why they got off this design is beyond me but snatch it up... grab an AMAZN smoke generator like the guys say and you will have a great set and forget smoker that produces fine q. All the best to you.

Last edited:
Thanks!!:yahoo:
my DH ask me how it was going to last in the open elements with it being electric on the deck..
I bought a cover for it!!
My sister in law leaves hers on her deck and has NO problems..

He's SO old fashioned..
Sorry guys.. You all are the smart ones here..
I'm not :yahoo:

Thanks!!
yahoo.gif

my DH ask me how it was going to last in the open elements with it being electric on the deck..
I bought a cover for it!!
My sister in law leaves hers on her deck and has NO problems..

He's SO old fashioned..
Sorry guys.. You all are the smart ones here..
I'm not
yahoo.gif
I can't tell you how that works. Mine is under roof, and I keep a cover on it.

Don't know how good my cover would be in the rain & snow.

Bear

The one on the link is not the gen 2. And its not a 20070312.....which is a good thing. Thats the tried and true 0311 40 inch with remote, top vent, and 1200 watt element. Why they got off this design is beyond me but snatch it up... grab an AMAZN smoke generator like the guys say and you will have a great set and forget smoker that produces fine q. All the best to you.
Yes thanks,

that's my question its the 2nd generation smokers I am inquiring about. I heard many good things about the previous generation. I see the 2nd gen at BPS and have a bunch of gift cards but several of the reviews there seem to say they didnt work when they got them. 

Thanks

Kurt

I bought this cover:

I can always put on my inclosed screen porch because the desk ison the side of it when the weather gets bad..
That looks like a better cover than mine. Maybe someone who keeps theirs out from under a roof can tell you how it works.

I'd hate to let the digital controls wet. I guess some remove it & take it indoors---I never did.

Bear

Posted onto a thread in another forum that I finally tried to do a pulled pork Boston butt on my MES 40 second generation with window today.  I AM NOW A TRUE BELIEVER!  OMG, is that gooood.  I used a rosemary and brown sugar rub that I found on the internet.  Wow, is it good!  I smoked it at 250 degrees for 7 hours to get to 195 degrees.  At that point, I stuck a fork in it and turned it 90 degrees and it shredded.  Also it was pulling away from the bone so that was a good sign.  It took no time to shred the 8 pounder and now it's chow time!!!

Yes, I FINALLY remembered to document it!  :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky