MES control panel problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The deflector plate is just a piece of thin aluminum plate? Will be traveling right past one of the metal yards in town tomorrow....

You were told right---Probably by me. Moving the top vent of the Gen #1 from the back right to the back left was one of the suggestions I gave them.

Should eliminate the need for my deflector plate.

Bear
But that new design doesn't do either one of us any good if we don't buy one of those newer models. I'm hoping my good ol' Gen 1 has years of fun and usage left. I'll just deal with the old vent into the foreseeable future. It hasn't stopped me yet from putting out some really good Q.

My MES is 3 years old, sits on the deck usually covered. I wanted to use it today, 90 degrees out, (so not the cold problem) and the display panel just has 8888. It is turning on but no way to set the temp. Do I need to replace it or is there another fix?

Last edited:
My MES is 3 years old, sits on the deck usually covered. I wanted to use it today, 90 degrees out, (so not the cold problem) and the display panel just has 8888. It is turning on but no way to set the temp. Do I need to replace it or is there another fix?

I would call Masterbuilt & tell them what it's doing.
See what they say.

If they're no help PM " tallbm tallbm ".
He's one of the good fixers here.

Bear

I called MES customer service on Monday and was asked if I left it outside. I told her it's a smoker, of course I leave it outside, but it's covered.
Ideas?

Ha!! Great response.
My MES 30 Gen 1 sits outside, uncovered on my roofed over deck. In Alberta, near the foothills. Has done for 3 years, and worked flawlessly. That said, the control panel just died.
I'm bypassing the control panel and installing a PID.
Gary

I would call Masterbuilt & tell them what it's doing.
See what they say.

If they're no help PM " tallbm tallbm ".
He's one of the good fixers here.

Bear
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'm sure we can get him straitened out of MB support doesn't come through :)

It sounds to me like the control panel may have gotten moisture in it or something has gone wrong with it. MB support may likely send you a new control panel and that may fix the issue.
If not and you decide you want to go with an aftermarket PID controller (basically the only kind of aftermarket controller), just let us know and be sure to msg me and I'm positive we will all chip in and get you going.
There are some major benefits to a PID controller setup and you can basically keep your MES running through anything short of a tornado :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky