mes cold smoker kit.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I smoked a few chicken breasts with the MES and CSK last night, and it went fine this time.  I guess the key is having the MES on.  It was nice not having to go check the smoke every 20-30 minutes to add chips.  I put a few handfuls of chips in the CSK, and it smoked an hour.

A suggestion, if you know anyone with pecans grab some shells. They work FANTASTIC! Just get most of the nut meat out.

The buckets are where I started

The up side......

Now I am keeping the shells in a 31 qt storage bin. BTW mention to all those friends who always stop by when they see smoke rising. You'll be surprized how many folks will bring you....LOL

Anyway, pecan shells are great smokers.

Last edited:
It Came! It Came!

and I couldn't be happier. Pulled it out of the box and grabbed the dimmer extension cord I made up for the Christmas tree. (you'll be suprised how long those twinkle lights last if you dim them just a touch) I stuck it on the kill-a-watt meter and checked the wattage. Mine pulled about 130W. So I dialed it back to 75W and attached it to the smoker (after burning it in of course). Threw in a piece of bread and let it smoke at 150 degrees for about 30 min just to get a flavor profile. 

It's fantastic. No bitterness, just nice smoky flavor.  So the main difference between this thing and my DIY paint can/soldering iron is that the airflow is through the unburned chips to the element and into the smoker. With my DIY setup, the airflow was heating element, burned chips, unburned chips, smoker.  (hope that makes sense)

-J

It Came! It Came!

and I couldn't be happier. Pulled it out of the box and grabbed the dimmer extension cord I made up for the Christmas tree. (you'll be suprised how long those twinkle lights last if you dim them just a touch) I stuck it on the kill-a-watt meter and checked the wattage. Mine pulled about 130W. So I dialed it back to 75W and attached it to the smoker (after burning it in of course). Threw in a piece of bread and let it smoke at 150 degrees for about 30 min just to get a flavor profile. 

It's fantastic. No bitterness, just nice smoky flavor.  So the main difference between this thing and my DIY paint can/soldering iron is that the airflow is through the unburned chips to the element and into the smoker. With my DIY setup, the airflow was heating element, burned chips, unburned chips, smoker.  (hope that makes sense)

-J
Most people probably don't have the room to put on a 2'X3"  $1.99 aluminum extension between the CSK and MES to give it a little more time to condense volatiles before getting to the product/cooking chamber.  Even several feet.  You'll definitely be able taste a higher quality smoke especially cold smoking.  I'd be very interested to hear if somebody tries it.

-Kurt

Reactions: pa42phigh

It Came! It Came!

-J
Most people probably don't have the room to put on a 2'X3"  $1.99 aluminum extension between the CSK and MES to give it a little more time to condense volatiles.  Even several feet.  You'll definitely be able t 
Looks great!
-Kurt

Just bought an MES 40 and the CSK (MES is model 20075315, From amazon, $320 a few days ago, now $340, was as low as $287 right before Christmas! :(

I will be "seasoning" them both and doing a butt and beef ribs this weekend. I'll probably use just the MES for a few hours to get the feel of just using it by itself, then throw on the CSK. Plan on using pecan or hickory, with a little mesquite.

I am not new to smoking, I have had a cheap offset firebox chargriller model from Lowe's for about 8 years... but I am new to the MES (and ES in general)... I do want to do Jerky and cheese eventually, I'll come back with my observations/experience!

Last edited:
Used the smoker a few days ago for the first time. Without the "cold smoker" attachment I wouldn't be as pleased because it would need wood so often, but I was over all very pleased with the results! I had the top baffle about 75% closed the whole time. I see why people use a dimmer online with the cold smoker attachment, which is refered to as a "slow smoker" in the manual that came with it, potentially because it puts off too much heat to be "cold" unless maybe to 50F or below outside.

I used a motor speed control intended for a [wood] router. It uses a Triac/SCR, not PWM or variable capacitance, so it works great for resistive loads. I didn't put a meter on it but the knob was about 75%, just at the bottom of the "green" range on the knob. It was like $15 from harbor freight if you don't want to mess with putting a dimmer knob in line with it. I'm an EE so a knob would be a cinch, but I already had this speed control so I saved myself a trip to Lowe's and a few bucks. http://m.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html

Reactions: dogwalker
Used the smoker a few days ago for the first time. Without the "cold smoker" attachment I wouldn't be as pleased because it would need wood so often, but I was over all very pleased with the results! I had the top baffle about 75% closed the whole time. I see why people use a dimmer online with the cold smoker attachment, which is refered to as a "slow smoker" in the manual that came with it, potentially because it puts off too much heat to be "cold" unless maybe to 50F or below outside.

I used a motor speed control intended for a [wood] router. It uses a Triac/SCR, not PWM or variable capacitance, so it works great for resistive loads. I didn't put a meter on it but the knob was about 75%, just at the bottom of the "green" range on the knob. It was like $15 from harbor freight if you don't want to mess with putting a dimmer knob in line with it. I'm an EE so a knob would be a cinch, but I already had this speed control so I saved myself a trip to Lowe's and a few bucks. http://m.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html
I just bought this controller from Harbor Freight, and am trying it out.  So far, it's working great!  I have to experiment with where to set it to optimize the smoke output.  I filled the tube about 1/4 to 1/3, and I set the control to the middle of the green section, and it lasted an hour, really good, thin smoke.  Now I'm going to set it to the end of the green section (your suggestion, which I missed the first time through), to see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:
Love your cart, Ferggie!  I need to do something like that.  Where did you get it?

BTW, for the Fourth, I used my MES 40 and the cold smoker, with the variable voltage gadget from harbor freight, and it all worked great!

Does anyone get some smoke leak out of the top of the CSK? Is that normal? Is there a way to seal that better. I'm using mine for the first time today with a rack of ribs. Still getting good white smoke from the main unit.

Hi guys
Has anyone tried one of these yet?
Masterbuilt cold smoker kit item 20070112 for use with all electric digital smokers.
Bass pro has them in stock 13.00 less than masterbuilt. Item number 38-614-059-05 and they use wood chips.
I would like some feedback. Before I buy one of them.
Thanks

Hi,just tried mine this weekend works very well, I have it on my masterbuilt pro dual fuel smoker. Lots of smoke but did find the chips got hung up a couple times, not sure if the chips i used were a bit to big. I did true cold smoke, 3 types of cheese and with my setup. I am new to the site,

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 71
  • with smoker.jpg
    with smoker.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 79
Hi all.. I have a MES Gen 1 with a CSK attached. Much like everyone else, I've been having issues with oversmoked or creosote flavor build up. Gave the MES a good cleaning after my last few attempts with the CSK. Found this thread, and got the Harbor Freight variable controller recommended by dogwalker.

Just curious on the results those of you who followed his suggestion. Smoked a brisket with apple pellets yesterday on the mid-low setting, and although I got a thinner, longer lasting smoke with less creosote smell, the brisket turned out with no smoke ring and a slightly harsh flavor.

I haven't resorted to using the pipes others have recommended, but I wanted to see if I can get the variable motor speed controller working.

Thanks again, keep on smoking..

Hi all.. I have a MES Gen 1 with a CSK attached. Much like everyone else, I've been having issues with oversmoked or creosote flavor build up. Gave the MES a good cleaning after my last few attempts with the CSK. Found this thread, and got the Harbor Freight variable controller recommended by dogwalker.

Just curious on the results those of you who followed his suggestion. Smoked a brisket with apple pellets yesterday on the mid-low setting, and although I got a thinner, longer lasting smoke with less creosote smell, the brisket turned out with no smoke ring and a slightly harsh flavor.

I haven't resorted to using the pipes others have recommended, but I wanted to see if I can get the variable motor speed controller working.

Thanks again, keep on smoking..

It's a constant "trial and error" with me and the CSK. Last weekend, I smoked some steaks, and even though I turned the controller all the way down (once the smoke was going), the smoke just kept coming. However, it was thin. I found the steaks "too smoky" but I was alone in that opinion. Everyone else thought they were perfect.

I've never gotten a smoke ring with the MES. Is that even possible with an electric smoker? I honestly don't know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky