mes cold smoker kit.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What amazes me is that the people who get the amnps to work can't fathom that the pellet tray doesn't work for everyone.
Ditto.

It would be nice if, somewhere on the A-MAZE-N Products web site, it was noted that the AMNPS (specifically, the 5x8) doesn't work at altitude. Perhaps in one or more of such obvious places as the product description, Instruction PDF, or FAQs?

It would be especially nice if the vendor didn't ship such a product to a location where he knows it won't work, charging the customer and letting him spend hours trying to keep the thing lit.

Well I did some tinkering with my amps today. I was going to give 2 more try's before I gave it away. After deciding to do the mail box mod as getting 10+ hours of smoke is very appealing. As is getting a whole nights sleep. I start rereading threads, looking at pictures etc to see how to do the mailbox mod right the first time. I noticed in a few pictures that some had taken the exhaust port out completely. This made it a full 3" of total exhaust. Then added a 3" adjustable 90, and a vent cap. So that is what I did. I shoved in as far as it would go, then took a sharpie and marked the inside edge inside the smoker on the flex 90. I then took a pair of tin snips and cut lines on the flex 90. I only cut to the previous marked line. Roughly about a inch. Some less, some more. Then folded those tabs around the smoker wall. I didn't screw into the smoker wall as some had done. Mainly due to it being very snug. I also taped all the joints on the flex 90 with hvac high/low temp tape, to keep it from leaking and condensating black moisture. As I smoke in the winter and summer here in Illinois. I then took the chip loading tube, and enlarged the 9 draft holes to 1/4" each. (I was prepared to go bigger, but I wanted to try this first). I had thought about taking a 1" hole saw to the inside of chip tray cover on the left hand side. I would have made the hole on the left side. Basically so you would have been able to see all the way from the outside to the far inside of the smoker, through the chip loading whole. After turning the smoker on to 225 degrees, I lit the amps, and used a torch and a heat gun to lite the amps. Got a good cherry going, and let it flame for about 10 mins, then blew it about with all the spent ash. I pushed all the cherries into the pellets, then reloaded it. Lit it again, and the followed the previous steps. I then stuck the amps in the smoker over the hole for the water tub. It smoked pretty good, and played around with the position of the chip loader tube. I then happen to read a thread of putting the amps directly over the grease drain hole. Played around some more with the chip loader tube position. I ended up going with putting the amps over the grease drain hole, and taking the chip loader tube about half way out. As taking it completely out seems to smoke to much? But it cold here, not sure how much is steam. As its getting ready to snow here. So far it has been working, about 4 hours. Good enough that I put 2 butts in.

If this hadn't of worked (or it fails to stay lit), I am going to to do the mailbox mod. As much as I love the Masterbuilt cold smoker, buts it's very inconvenient to load, unstick the wood chips in the "hopper" every 4 hours or less.

I just wish someone had told me to do this 1.5 years ago (I think that is how long I have had this amps now).

That being said, maybe try the mailbox mod ($20-$30), that way it gets plenty of air. As I saw a thread about high altitude, and putting 3 addition holes in the mailbox lid to get plenty of air movement.

I will try to keep it updated over this smoke. Hopefully this will help you. Granted this info should be included with the directions. Also, if you have any questions ask away. I'm not always the greatest at putting into words what I have done. At least not very clearly.

I  don't know what altitude your speaking of, but I'm setting at 4355 ft and have smoked several lbs of cheese using the "dust" with my 5x8 AMNPS.  I started the first shot using  the pellets and had some problems with keeping it lit. A quick call to AMNPS ---- and  loading the tray with the dust, I'm smoking up a storm.  A-MAZE-N Products has a phone no. and "E" address to help with your questions.  I , for one, am super happy with the unite and service after the sale.   

Larry said that from out here in New Mexico.

I  don't know what altitude your speaking of, but I'm setting at 4355 ft and have smoked several lbs of cheese using the "dust" with my 5x8 AMNPS.  I started the first shot using  the pellets and had some problems with keeping it lit. A quick call to AMNPS ---- and  loading the tray with the dust, I'm smoking up a storm.  A-MAZE-N Products has a phone no. and "E" address to help with your questions.  I , for one, am super happy with the unite and service after the sale.   

Larry said that from out here in New Mexico.
I'm at 6600'.

From searching / reading the forums, it appears that the 5x8 AMNPS doesn't work above 5000'. For example:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/165159/amnps-at-high-elevations#post_1200360

Todd did offer to swap the AMNPS for a 12" tube or just let me return the AMNPS for a refund. By that point, though, I'd already acquired the MES cold smoker kit and it was working great - especially with a dimmer and 3' of ducting.

I have used pellets in mine. I have my MES set up in my shop with a vent pipe running up to a exhaust fan. The first smoke I was getting too heavy smoke so I shut the element on the MECS off and cracked the ash drawer open about 3/8 inch. It continued to burn and put out a nice TBS for 2.5 hours until the pellets all burned. You may have to put a exhaust pipe like mine to improve airflow to get this to work.

Rdog, I am considering getting the cold smoke attachment for my 30 mes. You turn the cold smoke unit on for 15mind and then shut it off after start smoking? By pulling the drawer out if allows air to keep them smoldering? That pipe hooked above the damper. Do you keep that on during cook cycles or smoke cycles with the mes element and chips in there

I was set on getting the side box cold smoke for my master built but now I'm a little unsure. Seems to not have very good reviews so far. Anyone else git any tips that wold make the process easier and less painful using it

I was set on getting the side box cold smoke for my master built but now I'm a little unsure. Seems to not have very good reviews so far. Anyone else git any tips that wold make the process easier and less painful using it
I have used mine for over a year now on a gen 2 40" MES. I found that I had to check mine every few hours when using it. I never got more then 4 hours of usage before having to refill regardless of the outside temperture I was smoking in. I have used it from -10° to 90°+. I found that every 1-2 hours, I had to take the chip tube holder out and "shake it" to get the chips to feed correcly. Otherwise the chips would stick in the upper tube. But mine does have a lot of creosate buildup in it. I have also learned that if I let out a corner of the air tray about about 1/16th of a inch, it breathed a lot better.

The mod I did was taking out the diffuser (3? screws on the inside) and replacing it with a 3" 45° metal elbow ($5 roughly @ lowes) and a 3" metal cap with vent ($9 @ lowes #26365). When I installed the adjustable elbow, I drew a line with a sharpie around the inside wall edge of my smoker on the elbow(roughly 1" all the way around the elbow). I took a pair of tin snips and cut slots up to the the line i drew about every 1/4"-1/2". That way i could I fold them back against the inside wall. It made it very snug, and didn't have to screw it down like others did. I then took hvac high temp tape and taped the seems on the outside portion of the elbow. Then installed the vent cap, and taped that seem as well.  This has allowed my smoker to breathe so much better. It is almost like night and day.

After doing all of that, I found that my AMNPS now works. So I use that now. It is nice being able to get a good night sleep now. Instead of checking on the smoker every few hours. I just wish I would have found that mod 2 years ago.

Do you ever use the smoking kit and leave the power off on the main smoker?  I've been trying to decide between this and the AMZN.  I see some negatives on both (some folks complain about bitter taste with the ME, and others say they have constant problems with the AMZN), and I see positives on both.

Thanks!

Do you ever use the smoking kit and leave the power off on the main smoker?  I've been trying to decide between this and the AMZN.  I see some negatives on both (some folks complain about bitter taste with the ME, and others say they have constant problems with the AMZN), and I see positives on both.

Thanks!

I haven't done any cold smoking yet. The only time I ever really got a bitter taste using just mes smoker attachment was on wings (over smoked) and one time I was tired and filled the hopper for over 4 hours with nothing but mesquite wood chips.

I still have problems with my amps. Even after the first round of mods I did, it stopped working correctly once again. I finally had to do the mail box mod. With this being said, I still have to watch it some.

I haven't done any cold smoking yet. The only time I ever really got a bitter taste using just mes smoker attachment was on wings (over smoked) and one time I was tired and filled the hopper for over 4 hours with nothing but mesquite wood chips.

I still have problems with my amps. Even after the first round of mods I did, it stopped working correctly once again. I finally had to do the mail box mod. With this being said, I still have to watch it some.
Thanks, that's why I'm in a quandary.  Honestly, I don't currently plan to ever smoke cheese, and my smoker has been fantastic for chicken and everything else - with one exception.  I tried smoking salmon at 100 and gradually bumping it up, and it was pretty much impossible to get the smoker to hold anything close to 100 (kept wanting to go higher), and of course, I couldn't generate smoke.

So I thought I'd check into these two options.  I actually bought the MBCS and got it today, and it was pretty awful, so I'm hoping I just did something wrong.  If I can't get it to work, I'll return it and try the AMPS, or more likely, I'll just go back to what I was doing, since the only thing is, I have to add wood chips every 30-45 minutes.

Here's what I did.  First pass, I left the main unit off and put a good bit of apple chips in the MBCS and started it up.  I couldn't see any smoke coming out of the MES, so I opened the door, and there was a ton of smoke sitting on the floor.  It wasn't rising, which seems really weird to me.  Over time, it finally filled the MES and started coming out the vent, and I added some cheese and bread just to capture the smell and taste.  The smoke smelled acrid and so did the bread and cheese.

Now, I'm still a noob, so maybe you're not supposed to stick in break or cheddar cheese, but even the smoke smelled acrid, like burned paper or something.

Any suggestions?  I'd love to get this thing to work, although like I say, I'm not married to it, and I can also just go back to what I had or try the AMPNS.

Thanks!

You did the MBSC wrong, I assure you.

Do you monitor and adjust your vent? Do you crack the ashtray a little to get good flow? You can set a piece of 4" PVC about 2 foot long over the 3" vent also and that will effectively change the air draft from a 3 '' to almost a 4" vent without you trying to change the bore.

I get 6+ hours of smoke from mt MBCS attachment easily, probably get even more. You can start the heater, get smoke rising in the smoker and turn the heater off and allow it to smolder on that'll usually give a couple of extra hours.

The only problem I have encountered with the MBCS is that last 1/3 to 1/4 in the top of the chimney will stick after numerous smokes. I just tap it with a stick though and it dropsn right down upon the heating coil.

When attempting cheese, you need it frigid outside. I have a full tray of cheese in the project reefer just waiting for some cold. Plus its my understanding that cheese is like nuts and jerky. you only need a couple a hours in the box. It tastes like an ashtray anyway you do it until you allow it to mellow before packaging.

I have an AMAZIN  5x8 tray, AMAZIN oval adjustable, and the MBCS. All of which work great, you just have to prep and achieve a smoke with the AMAZIN products, whereas with the MBCS you just adjust your vents and turn it on. I use all three and each does fine.

I am experimenting now with the 2 foot extension stack. I am getting unbelieveable smoke, burning a load of pellets but since the oval tube is new as well as the stack extension, I can't tell yet for sure whats creating the smoke. BUt I blackened the outside of a prok roast tonight with only 4 hours of smoke! AND I was watching the smoke out the chimney. LOL

You did the MBSC wrong, I assure you.

Do you monitor and adjust your vent? Do you crack the ashtray a little to get good flow? You can set a piece of 4" PVC about 2 foot long over the 3" vent also and that will effectively change the air draft from a 3 '' to almost a 4" vent without you trying to change the bore.

I get 6+ hours of smoke from mt MBCS attachment easily, probably get even more. You can start the heater, get smoke rising in the smoker and turn the heater off and allow it to smolder on that'll usually give a couple of extra hours.

The only problem I have encountered with the MBCS is that last 1/3 to 1/4 in the top of the chimney will stick after numerous smokes. I just tap it with a stick though and it dropsn right down upon the heating coil.

When attempting cheese, you need it frigid outside. I have a full tray of cheese in the project reefer just waiting for some cold. Plus its my understanding that cheese is like nuts and jerky. you only need a couple a hours in the box. It tastes like an ashtray anyway you do it until you allow it to mellow before packaging.

I have an AMAZIN  5x8 tray, AMAZIN oval adjustable, and the MBCS. All of which work great, you just have to prep and achieve a smoke with the AMAZIN products, whereas with the MBCS you just adjust your vents and turn it on. I use all three and each does fine.

I am experimenting now with the 2 foot extension stack. I am getting unbelieveable smoke, burning a load of pellets but since the oval tube is new as well as the stack extension, I can't tell yet for sure whats creating the smoke. BUt I blackened the outside of a prok roast tonight with only 4 hours of smoke! AND I was watching the smoke out the chimney. LOL
Thanks!  Well, I have to admit, I know nothing about smoking cheese, so maybe you're not supposed to slice cheddar, stick it in for an hour and then immediately eat it?  :-)  From what you said above, it sounds like a "no" to that!

I didn't crack the ashtray, just started it up, and it seemed to fill the MES from the bottom up.  I've never seen that much smoke in my MES!  I had the vent wide open, too.  I'll try this some more Sunday and hopefully next weekend.  I was also considering the AMZN 5x8, but I'll see how this goes.

Thanks again!  BTW, you said you get unbelievable smoke.  Now, I've always had some smoke, but never a ton, and the flavor has been great, but since I'm new to this, maybe I'm missing something and should have been getting more smoke all along?

thanks!

Heres my take upon smoking, you can do big smoke for a short period or a smaller smoke for a longer period. You look for thin blue smoke, but I don't think an electric gets warm enough to really achieve it. yes you can reduce smoke you can see, but its not what I call thin blue smoke which you see coming out a large pit. 

Just my opinions. 

With cheese, nuts, and any cured smoked product always allow what I call a mellow time for the product to smooth out before bagging and tagging or you will get that ashtray taste.  Also never judge your flavors on these right after smoking, again, give it some time to smooth or you will throw away perfectly wonderful smoked items..

"I" control my smoke with the vent. I don't leave mine open all the time, I use it to maintain what I consider to be the right flow. That way my pellets last longer, my smoker uses less electricity and doesn't cycle as much. Others say leave it wide open, they say smoke gets stale. Creosote taste comes from incomplete burning, not stale smoke. Sure too much smoke is always a worry, and usually can lead to incomplete combustion, but its doesn't have to. I regulate my vent and I don't get creosote.

Heres my take upon smoking, you can do big smoke for a short period or a smaller smoke for a longer period. You look for thin blue smoke, but I don't think an electric gets warm enough to really achieve it. yes you can reduce smoke you can see, but its not what I call thin blue smoke which you see coming out a large pit. 

Just my opinions. 

With cheese, nuts, and any cured smoked product always allow what I call a mellow time for the product to smooth out before bagging and tagging or you will get that ashtray taste.  Also never judge your flavors on these right after smoking, again, give it some time to smooth or you will throw away perfectly wonderful smoked items..

"I" control my smoke with the vent. I don't leave mine open all the time, I use it to maintain what I consider to be the right flow. That way my pellets last longer, my smoker uses less electricity and doesn't cycle as much. Others say leave it wide open, they say smoke gets stale. Creosote taste comes from incomplete burning, not stale smoke. Sure too much smoke is always a worry, and usually can lead to incomplete combustion, but its doesn't have to. I regulate my vent and I don't get creosote.
I tried the cold smoking kit again this weekend, and it worked fine.  I'm still trying to figure out the exact configuration I need.  I was smoking chicken, so the MES was on.

I followed tips from another guy who said to start the CSK with the cover off to let that initial thick smoke dissipate and then cover it.

I forgot your comment about the vent, so my whole smoke was with the vent wide open, and a lot of smoke flowed.  When I turned the CSK off to see how long it would continue, I'd say it continued another 20 minutes.  All in all, I filled it almost half full, and I'd say it burned an hour and a half.

Oh, and I pulled the ash tray out about 1/4"

So, what I need to resolve:
1) do I need to take that first step of having the CSK uncovered to burn off the "bad smoke" and creosote?
2) would I get more smoke flavor (good flavor) and longer smoke from the wood if I close the vent at least half-way?
3) is it necessary to have the MES on, to get the smoke to flow?  If so, I guess I'll never smoke cheese, but then I don't really care about that (at least not yet, but I'm still new)?

I ask number 3 because the first time I tried smoking, the smoke just sat in the bottom of the MES for a long time, and the unit was off.

Thanks!

I tried the cold smoking kit again this weekend, and it worked fine.  I'm still trying to figure out the exact configuration I need.  I was smoking chicken, so the MES was on.

I followed tips from another guy who said to start the CSK with the cover off to let that initial thick smoke dissipate and then cover it.

I forgot your comment about the vent, so my whole smoke was with the vent wide open, and a lot of smoke flowed.  When I turned the CSK off to see how long it would continue, I'd say it continued another 20 minutes.  All in all, I filled it almost half full, and I'd say it burned an hour and a half.

Oh, and I pulled the ash tray out about 1/4"

So, what I need to resolve:
1) do I need to take that first step of having the CSK uncovered to burn off the "bad smoke" and creosote?

I never heard of this, remember Creosote comes from incomplete burning, not from "Stale" smoke. I see note two 

2) would I get more smoke flavor (good flavor) and longer smoke from the wood if I close the vent at least half-way?

First you have the vent fully open to draw a draft, you can leave the tray cracked on the cold smoker. In probably a dozen smokes with the cold smoker, I have Never once dumped the ash-tray, nor has it been needed yet. I get a 100% white powder residue, that is as clean a smoke as possible. If you are not getting a good enough draft for you, try the two foot PVC stack. BTW  If you open the cold smoker lid, you are allowing the heat & Smoke which you need to draw a draft to escape the smoker. Or thats how I would think anyway.

3) is it necessary to have the MES on, to get the smoke to flow?  If so, I guess I'll never smoke cheese, but then I don't really care about that (at least not yet, but I'm still new)?

I have not yet done a complete cold smoke, Today is the day before Mardi Gras and I have on shorts and a t shirt. Although, I believe I have seen Dave say a cold smoke is anything under 90 degrees and I am pretty sure I can do that.  I have blocks of cheese in the beer reefer awaiting a cool enough day. Don't want to chance all that good cheese, 

I ask number 3 because the first time I tried smoking, the smoke just sat in the bottom of the MES for a long time, and the unit was off.

Thanks!

I am really thinking about one of these for my 30. I've been struggling using a soldering iron and chips in a steel can. I can't seem to get rid of the bitter smoke flavor. I want to believe this may be my solution. Are you getting any bitter smoke flavors from your cold smoke unit? I find it hard to believe it's that much different than my diy setup.

Can someone take some detailed pics of the internals of this thing?

Thanks!

-J

I am really thinking about one of these for my 30. I've been struggling using a soldering iron and chips in a steel can. I can't seem to get rid of the bitter smoke flavor. I want to believe this may be my solution. Are you getting any bitter smoke flavors from your cold smoke unit? I find it hard to believe it's that much different than my diy setup.

Can someone take some detailed pics of the internals of this thing?

Thanks!

-J
My last smoke was good, but I think I took too many preventive steps.  I called Masterbuilt today, and they told me:

1) the main unit has to be on (so no smoking cheese, but that's ok with me)

2) the vent should be about half-way open

I'm going to smoke some chicken this week, and we'll see.

The AMNPS is another option you should consider.  I haven't tried it yet, but lots of people love it.  I went with this option because I was curious, and because I didn't want all the prep time with the AMZN or use pellets, and I was seeing too many people having trouble keeping it lit.  That said, tons of people love it, AND it would let you truly cold smoke.

I'll post an update after I smoke the chicken.

well, I took the plunge and bought one on Amazon last night. I love prime. Here in 2 days, free shipping on returns if it stinks. I'll take lots of pics.

-J

well, I took the plunge and bought one on Amazon last night. I love prime. Here in 2 days, free shipping on returns if it stinks. I'll take lots of pics.

-J
Great!  I'm going to try mine again in the next few days, and I'm going to follow Masterbuilt's suggestions
1) turn the smoker unit on
2) turn the CSK on after putting wood in it

3) open the MSE vent about half way

and I'll probably also pull out the little ash tray about 1/4" but I'll experiment with leaving it closed, too.

Good luck, and let us know!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky