MES 30 improvements on smoke consistency?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Todd, are you suggesting a chimney for every MES 30 model? I have a MES 30 Gen 1 and I haven't noticed any draft problems with my machine. What inconsistencies have you noticed with yours--and are you talking about a Gen 1 or Gen 2 or both?

I resist doing mods to my smoker because so far it doesn't seem to need and besides, I'm not that handy with stuff like that.
I would say it would be a good thing to do if you had problems, but your 3 years & my 6 years of MES smokers without any air flow problems show that not all of them need it.

I'm a firm believer of if it's not broke don't fix it.

Bear

I would say it would be a good thing to do if you had problems, but your 3 years & my 6 years of MES smokers without any air flow problems show that not all of them need it.

Bear

Agreed KISS (keep it simple son)
My back patio is wide open from both sides to open green belts so likely plays a role more exposure to wind & drafts possibly.

Bear
And that is why I firmly remain one of your disciples.

Agreed KISS (keep it simple son)
My back patio is wide open from both sides to open green belts so likely plays a role more exposure to wind & drafts possibly.
Yup---With all that wind, you may need something like that chimney, unless you can do some wind blocking.

At that point, it may be a lot easier to throw that Chimney on like Todd mentioned, than it would be to putting up some wind blocking.

Bear

If you search for riverrats damper you will see a simple damper that replaces the chip loader. Here is mine I think it is a corn can.

I also use a stack. After trying a lot of variations this one was 15.00 delivered and it work well. I tried taller  and  fatter This one worked and looked good.

View media item 336193
I  just sit it on the smoker and remove to put the cover on. The stack creates a nice draft and the damper is adjustable for flow.  Jted
Lowes could not find that smoke stack but the new master forge grills have one that looks very similar but its SS.  The SS stack master forge part# 403-01002-05 but Lowes said to call Master Forge direct # 1-800-963-0211 not sure what it cost. I bough a 3 " 90 for now to see if it helps first. 

Hi, I just spoke to a CSR named Ken at 1-800-963-0211 he is with Master forge. He said the important # is item # 1900499 And they had them in stock.
The adjustable 90 degree aluminum elbow works great I just wanted something that looked a bit more conventionall. I got mine from the home depot for maybe 5.00. Jted

You are right!! May have to try this Sunday!!
sausage.gif
Right, Like Gary said, "Try it open".

You want to keep that smoke moving, so it doesn't just sit there & get stale.

The only time I close my MES top vent it when I'm pre-heating it, and when it's not in use (to keep bugs out).

It's always open 100%, unless it's real windy----Then maybe about 50% open to keep the wind from sucking the heat out through the vent.

Bear

I am a stick burner, never had an electric, but my damper is ALWAYS wide open while I'm Smoking. The only time it is closed is when I am done, smoker cleaned up and waiting on the next smoke.  Keeps the bugs and rain out

Gary

The 3" 90 fits like a glove into my MES30 and I can easily remove to put on my cover tonight!!! My AMNPS has been going for 2 hours with steady blue stream of smoke. I am smoking hamburgers not sure how they are going to taste but its all I had to cook at the moment.

The 3" 90 fits like a glove into my MES30 and I can easily remove to put on my cover tonight!!! My AMNPS has been going for 2 hours with steady blue stream of smoke. I am smoking hamburgers not sure how they are going to taste but its all I had to cook at the moment.
You can take the screw out and the damper cover comes off giving more air flow. That is how mine is and it does not fall off 

I used B & B pecan pellets I can taste the smoke flavor in the burger but it's very mild. I suppose lighting both sides might due the trick. The mes30 had a decent amount of smoke when I opened the door so I just need to figure out how to get that smoke flavor I was getting with the chip loader. Maybe mesquite is the answer!

I don't know what temp you're using, or for how long, but you should be careful smoking ground meat without cure.

Bear

I don't know what temp you're using, or for how long, but you should be careful smoking ground meat without cure.

Bear

I set my smoker to 250 and used a probe till the internal temp hit 160 is that safe? I am a newbie what is cure?

Last edited:
I set my smoker to 250 and used a probe till the internal temp hit 160 is that safe? I am a newbie what is cure?
Cure is used to keep your meat safe at a low temp

Prague Powder No. 1 is a basic cure that is used to cure all meats that require cooking, 
smoking and canning.  This would include poultry, fish, hams, bacon, luncheon meats,
 corned beef, pates, and many other products too numerous to mention. 
 Prague Powder No. 1 is a combination of a small amount of sodium nitrite on a salt carrier. 
 To be more specific, a pound of Prague Powder No. 1 contains 1 ounce of sodium nitrite to each
 1 pound of salt.  the formulas in this book clearly tell you which cure to use when it is needed.  

This is also a good time to mention that it only takes 4 ounces of Prague Powder No. 1 to cure 100 pounds
 of sausage, 2 ounces of 50 pounds, and only 1 ounce for 25 pounds.  when curing 10 pounds of meat, it
 takes a little less than 1/2 ounce of Prague Powder No. 1.  Put another way, 4 level teaspoons equal about
 1 ounce of Prague Powder, or 2 level teaspoons will cure 10 lbs. of sausage.

Hope this helps

You should be safe at the temp you have that set at,as long as you know what the real temp is in the CC 

250 is plenty good for burgers. Even 225° would be fine. I just wanted to make sure you weren't doing a lot of time under 200° without curing it first.

Cure is what we use to cure Bacon, Dried Beef, etc before low & slow smoking.

Once it's cured properly, you can smoke it a long time at low temps, without worrying about it spoiling----Even smoke it without any heat for days.

I use Tender Quick.

Check out my Bacon Smokes.

Here's one:

Bacon (Extra Smoky)

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky