Meet Chuck......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirt guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Oklahoma
.... a 26.5 lb. chuck roast for next Wednesday night's smoke. Chuck is pictured with his "grillfriend" Saucy. Saucy is a gallon of pure nectar from the Rib Crib restaurant. Chuck will be part of a feed for my son's wrestling team next Thursday evening. He'll be spiced, smoked, sliced and wed to Saucy as they provide some delicous BBQ beef sandwiches for the boys.

383763644.jpg

Plans are in the works for Chuck to be joined on the grill with Tom, a Honeysuckle White turkey breast injected with a butter/creole mixture. There will also be a small pork tenderloin joining the party in a blanket of bacon. The pork may turn into a Pork-U-Pine. It is being fixed for a family that gave up red meat for lent. If there isn't any beef in my butcher's hot links, that's what will happen.

Stay tuned for the "Adventures of Chuck and Saucy"!

hmmm.... high school wrestling team.... OK... so you got enough food for the first 4 kids, what are the rest having!
biggrin.gif

Looks like a good menu!

Never seen a chuck that big. WOW! I'm looking forward to some future pics of this adventure. You might have enough there to feed a small wrestling team. LOL
icon_smile.gif

Holy **** !!! How many hours you think that hunk of meat is going to take....that thing is the size of a medium sized dog (not a great comparison I know!!!).....I've always wanted to cook one of those in the oven or smoker, just to say I had.....feed the whole neighborhood.....!!! Please post a lot of QViews on the way to food time.....yeah !!!

Rick

so what is that, maybe a 16 hour smoke? start tuesday so its ready for thursday? i'll be right over with a couple cases to help out

Now that has got to be the Mother of all Chucks...good luck my friend.

I guess I'm smoking his l;ittle brother vinnie this weekend. Heck I thought a 12lb sirloin tip roast was gonna be a biggun but you have really showed me there Bruce. Well I'm sure yours will turn out great and don't forget the Qview.

I didn't really know what to call the cut. I knew it was more than just the chuck roast. But, I got it at the $2.49 per lb. price they had the boneless chuck roasts on sale for. Soooo.......I named him Chuck.
icon_wink.gif

I'm thinking he will be an all-nighter. I'm not sure how long he will take. I'll get him to medium rare/medium temps. Then I'll wrap him in foil to finish. After being left to simmer in his own juices, he'll be pulled/chopped and put into a roaster with the bbq sauce.

The turkey breast and the pork loin will be a piece of cake compared to him.
biggrin.gif

I personally have never done one at home but have a friend that has done a couple of them for parties and they were great. A little research showed that these can be lean and some people cook them to a lower internal and some go up to 190+ like for pulling and chopping. The ones I've had were done to the fall apart pulling stage.

One thing I would advise is give your self more time than you think. A large 25# hunk of meat could go as long as 36 hours. Always better to do way head than not meet your deadline.

I wouldn't think it would take nearly that long. I'm figuring about 14 hours, tops. If it took 36 hours, I'd think food safety issues would appear.

In any event, I plan on either cutting it in half or maybe thirds just to make it easier to handle. The weather forecast looks like rain and storms on Monday. If that happens, I'll be moving the smoke up to then.

The pork loin will be a "BACON-BLANKETED PORK-U-PINE". I'm making two--one with cheese, one without.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Can't wait for the qview! It takes a big smoker to handle all that meat at once, and a set of cajones to take on the project.
points.gif

A 10# brisket will take 14+ hrs. I know some people advocate grilling/searing a brisket first or cooking at higher temperatures than the traditional 225*, low and slow, which will cook it faster. But if that's the temp you're cooking at then plan accordingly.

Unless you plan to pull that big hunk of meat early and serve med-med/rare you better cut it up or start a lot sooner than you thought. When my friend does his he starts the day ahead. 25# of meat is a lot of mass to cook through. I'm thinking the stall will be a bitch. I've had small 4# corned beefs stall for 2 hrs. If you cook it whole it will be incredible but you could also butcher it. You could remove the top blade roast from the clod and make flat irons steaks out of it. Just a thought.

I just don't want you to be stuck with hungry kids and not be able to show off that bad boy cuz it will be awesome
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Holy cow, literally!

Sounds like it's going to be a great feast for the kids, but from a former wrestler, don't let them gain too much weight!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky