Mayo Slathered Whole Chicken!!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lspilot82

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Lakeland Florida
I haven't done a whole chicken in awhile on the smoker because I dont like the way the skin comes out so usually Ill just roast one...but today I feel like doing on and decided since Ive read so much about putting mayo on one, I decided to do it that way to see how she turns out. 1st I brined Susie in a mixture of salt water, garlic, powder, basil, oregano, mrs dash and lowrys...then I injected her with some melted butter mixed with some more lowrys, kosher salt and some Carolina Gold BBQ sauce....Then I sprinkled Susie with some pepper and more mrs dash then slathered her with the Mayo....Hopefully she turns out good. I'm going to smoke her over some apple and cherry wood until shes nice and brown. We will see how she turns out???
5227aad3_Chicken.jpg

I've been reading a lot about mayo chix here lately.  I have to try it soon.  Can't wait to see how yours works out.

Good luck and good smoking.

Is Susie done yet?

Nope...she isnt done yet. Shes been on for almost 4 hours and still not done yet. Shes a 4 pound bird and shes being a little stuburn. Shes been on there almost 4 hours and the breast temp is about 150 degrees....so im sure ill be pulling her off in a hour or so.

Wow, Susie was pretty darn tasty. The skin was nice and soft and edible with great flavor. The injection really kept it nice and moist and gave it a nice flavor. The mayo trick really worked...from now on that will be the way I do it. There is non left not even a crum. I'm glad it turned out. The smoke flavor wasnt to intense and realy mild...which my wife and sister in law like it that way. So here are a couple more pics...out of the smoker and my plate which included french fries, garlic green beans, rice a roni...lol, and of course one of Susie's breast...lol. I also ate one of her legs and most of her thighs. 
9497a500_chickenout.jpg
fa236a5b_chickencut.jpg

OK.  I gotta have an answer here.  The soft and rubbery skin is the knock on chix at lower temps.  Do you think that mayo helped crisp up the skin, or did it just add a flavor element?  Not questioning you here,  just need to get your opinion on the rubber skin issue?

OK.  I gotta have an answer here.  The soft and rubbery skin is the knock on chix at lower temps.  Do you think that mayo helped crisp up the skin, or did it just add a flavor element?  Not questioning you here,  just need to get your opinion on the rubber skin issue?

It is the 1st time I've done it so my scientific analysis is a little lacking...but giving what I observed so far, I'd have to say that it did make a difference. Everywhere that the mayo touched seemed to be nice and soft skin...not rubbery at all. It was a combo between crispy and soft...the skin kinda melted in your mouth. Where the mayo wasnt, which wasnt much area, the skin was rubbery like normal. Over all I was very happy with the outcome and even though I like crispy skin, this skin was great and had the consistency like a rottiseree chicken would, which I like. 

Thanks.  That is exactly what I was hoping to hear!  Meaning that the mayo actually helped to crisp up the skin a bit.  Actually mayo is a great thing in cooking even tho I like the "other one".  Let the flame wars begin.  LOL

Thanks.  That is exactly what I was hoping to hear!  Meaning that the mayo actually helped to crisp up the skin a bit.  Actually mayo is a great thing in cooking even tho I like the "other one".  Let the flame wars begin.  LOL

The other one being miracle whip??? EWWWW...I hate that stuff...but each to their own. I might try that though next time instead of mayo.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky