Mayo rubbed thighs on the WSM

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by smokinal, May 21, 2011.

1. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Grabbed a pack of bone in thighs at Wally World. Brined them for a couple of hours in a simple salt & sugar brine. Rinsed them off & patted them dry. Next something new. I covered the thighs in a coat of mayo, both sides & under the skin, then dusted them with Everglades fish & fowl. Got the WSM set at 275, with hickory & mesquite. Put the thighs on skin side up. After 1 hour I sauced both sides with Jeff's diluted 50/50 with water. I flipped them over skin side down for the next hour. Sauced both sides again & flipped them back to skin side up. Checked a few of them with a probe & they were done, 175 IT. I have heard that the mayo keeps the skin from getting rubbery and it works. The skin was not crispy but it was as tender as the meat. Overall the chicken was very juicy with a nice smoke flavor. I will definitely do the mayo thing again.

Here's how they looked ready to go in.

[​IMG]

And ready to eat.

[​IMG]

And a cut open closeup for Bear. They had nice smoke penetration. 

[​IMG]

2. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Looks delicious!!

Must be the oil in the mayo...hmmm

Craig

3. hardslicer

hardslicer Smoking Fanatic

I've tried rubbing my thighs with mayo before.....but I kept sliding out of my chair!    nice pics.....

4. rp ribking

rp ribking Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Al ya did it again, nice trial w/the mayo. I'll give that ago when I smoke sum 1/4's. They look Great!!!

5. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

great looking thighs there Al....have heard of the Mayo twist but have never done it. I wonder if Bear coats his with Miracle Whip?? <grin>.....

6. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Good looking thighs you got there AL  i never thought you can us mayo on chicken.

every day you learn new things .

thanks AL

[​IMG]

7. That looks great, I will try that next time I do chicken.

8. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

AL that Q looks great.. Man i bet that was tasty nice job[​IMG]

9. uncle_lar

uncle_lar Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

wow first I saw this post!

you got some nice looking thighs there Al!

might have to give that a shot

another cool mayo thing I have tried and love,

when ya make a grilled cheese

coat the outside of the bread with Mayo instead of butter

gives a nice crisp browned bread and not as oily as butter!

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  10. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Wow Al !!!

That looks great----thanks for the tip!

Yes Willie, since we don't allow Mayo (so boring) in our house, I will have to use Miracle Whip.

I'm sure it will work the same. The only problem is, I'm not sure Mrs Bear is gonna appreciate me rubbing Miracle Whip all over her thighs. Who knows---Maybe she'll like it!  [​IMG]

Thanks for the nice close-ups Al. The one with the sauce on qualifies quite well as "BearView".

Bear

11. looks great Al...giving that a try!!!

12. looks great,will have to try that.

13. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Never thought mixing mayo & sauce going together but that's why this site is awesome!

14. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Looking great Al, I'll have to try that.I've fried chicken in mayo before, pretty darn good. 

15. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great Looking Chicken Al and the Bearview is great too..

Thanks to being a test subject for the rest of us.  Now we can all try it...[​IMG]

16. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice job Al!

.... and Bear.... [​IMG]    LOL

17. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Somebody`s been watching Paula Dean...Nice job they look great !!!!!!

18. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Awesome looking chicken Al.  

19. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, even you Bear. I think Mrs. Bear might like a little mayo on her thighs!   [​IMG]

20. big twig

big twig Smoking Fanatic

Looks great AL. I use mayo on chicken all of the time, the wife's favorite is skinless breast coated in mayo then bread crumbs or special k cereal then baked......so good, like a poor man fried chicken.