Maverick Remote

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bassman

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 15, 2007
I took my Taylor Weekender back to Lowes. It would only stay on for a minute or two then shut itself off. Every time I wanted to check the temp, I had to turn the unit back on. I found the Maverick at Bed Bath and Beyond, so decided to try it. Are there any quirks with this one that I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.

Keith

Do the boiling water thing to make sure its accurate. I had to have one replaced because it was off. Do not rest the smoker probe directly on the grill.
Brian

Thanks Brian, I'll do that. I used it yesterday when I smoked the fatty. It was done and not dried out, but just to make sure, I'll check it anyway. Keith

I have 1 ET-73 and 1 ET-72. The 73 has 2 probes, the 72 has one. I like the 73 better, but I like the probe for the 72 better(thicker and longer wire lead). The 72 can turn on without opening up the back of the transmitter. I have always hated that with the 73! Paid 32 bucks for the 72 at BB & B, and 45 bucks for the 73 online.

I like my 73, but I agree with the Capt that removing the back pieces to switch are a pain. You have to do this if and WHEN the remote stops receiving signals. Sort of re-booting it. I have now just removed all the rear parts from my 73 and just leave it all open in the back, batteries exposed. Also, on the remote part, the dipswitch is getting loose, so I do not use it to go on or off, I use the battery by pulling it out or putting it back.

The only complaint is the range, not much more than 50 to 75 feet. I tend to put the remote outside a window or door so I can see it and so that it doesn't lock up if it loses its signal.

I really love the fact I can monitor smoker temp and the roast of my choice and have found that the 73 has stayed accurate.

i got one for christmas and i LOVE it.....tho i do agree, pulling the back off to turn on/off is a pain.........Steve......i am sure you know if it rains, to make sure the back is on..........i also have a problem with the lil dial thingybobby you turn to open up the back.......one side keeps popping out......i am afraid sooner or later, the lil leggy thingybobby will break off.......

OTHER THAN THAT..........i love it.........my "NEST" is in the basement......with this remote, i don't have to run up and down the stairs to check temps.....plus with two probes i have both meat and smoker.....important on the smoker temps......when temps get too high, i can dragg my sorry *ss upstairs to adjust the dampers.........or to low.......stir up or add more charchol.....instead of having momma......who "nests" upstairs to check temps......

all i need now is a baby monitor camera, so i can tell when i need to add more smoking wood,.....like when the TBS stops.............

i know.......lazy
cool.gif

Yeah, its the thingybobby that frustrated me so much. I finally told my self, Life's too short for this, so I just put all those little pieces and covers,etc in a plastic baggy(well, i'm still not ready to throw em away Dude) Baby Steps I guess---anyway, I use an EZ-up when it rains or cabbage leaves?

Time for bed, Hey we had leftovers tonight, but I couldn't find the leftover thread that was out a few days ago, but I made Bratty Pork Pizza which was Brisket, fatty, and pulled pork all on fresh dough. Yum---Good Night:-)

I just bought the Et 73 online for 39 bucks. They hit me 10 bucks for shipping. I hate those checkouts that don't reveal the shipping to you untill the last step. By then you have already entered cc info and shipping address.
Sounds like it is a good functional unit but cheaply made?? I went with it strictly because of the dual probe. Can you use only one probe at a time? Say you are doing spares or baby backs and can't use the meat probe will the smoker probe work on it's own? I also have the Weber Lifestyle remote. I think this is the Oregon Scientific under the Weber name. I used it for prime rib and has worked well. you choose meat doneness rare, medium or well insted of a actual temp which is a drawback however. But a well built unit.

I bought a Maverick one probe for xmas for myself! and used it twice before returning it for another one. Someone it got stuck reading HI and wouldn't stop beeping so I tried everything and evetually brought it back. I got the other one yesterday and used it the first time no problem and hope it holds out. I paid $14.99 at Canadian Tire (in Canada).

What is the boiling trick?

Water boils at 212 F , knowing this allows to calibrate the probe as this is a absolute mark for you to measure against.

i got one for christmas and i LOVE IT............and yes you can use just the smoker probe.........i use it for when i cold smoke, or do ribs, where there is no real meat to insert the meat probe.........

now, if only if would tell me when the smoker stops producing smoke, i.e. the chunk box needs more wood...........maybe a baby monitor camera is in order.............

it is also known as the redi-chek

Is this the same as the Maverick E-73? I bought one yesterday because I heard good things about it.

The thing popping out of the back and the little tiny switches... are problems but mine has performed well....

got a new single probe (Oregon Scientific) from Smokeys my Pet that talks and is really kool....

I tested my ET-73 using the boiling water and crushed ice and water test. The results are:
Boiling water:
Smoker probe sat at 212 for about 2 minutes and then went to 213 where it stayed.
Food probe reached 210 and held there the entire time. Kept both probes in the water 2 to 3 minutes and did not allow them to touch the bottom of the pan.
Also tested my Brinkmann thermomter that mounts in the door of my SnP. Never reached above 200. This thermometer is quite old and has seen some abuse. I wonder if a new one would be closer?

Crushed ice and water:
Crushed ice in a plastic cup. Added cold tap water and stirred. Put both probes in the water and let sit for about 5 to 7 minutes. Both probes leveled out at 34. Never varied from that.
Overall I would say the Maverick (at least my probes) are quite accurate. Or at least accurate enough to do the job. I am especially pleased with the smoker probe being as close as it is.
Looking forward to my first smoke. Looks like Sunday if I can find a decent slab of spares.

i just got 2 maverick et-807c digital thermometer and timer as a gift from my mother in law....does anyone use these ,are they any good ????

I have the 73. the smoker probe just died. all i get is HHH on the display. It only lasted one season. It was silly to have to take the door off to turn on/off. Could not use a weather proof switch? also it would lose connection and gave you no warning. had to go outside to verify. I guess you could watch it for several minutes to see if the receiver symbol comes on or not. Our baby monitor lets you know if it is out of range or not and is less money. It will also reconnect w/o turning everything off and on again.
Was satified w/ it but has a lot of room for improvement

I have the ET 73 and other than the switch under the panel on the back, I've been very pleased with it. Mine lasted two years before the food probe went out. I checked with Maverick and found replacement probes are a little expensive. A two pack runs $20 if I remember correctly. I'm now trying the Oregon Scientific. It's not the two probe model but I'll trade the two probe for a couple single probes if I can get more durability and convenience (switch under the back cover).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky