Maverick Model ET-732

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have the ET-73 thermometer. I do wrap these wires in foil if I use them on the grill but the specs for the new ET-732 say both probe wires are heat resistant to 716°F. I am guessing wrapping the new ones should not be needed for any smoking applications.One of these days I want to upgrade to the newer ET-732!

After toasting my probes on my first whole hog cookout in Oct 2012, I purchased a couple more from Todd, but they got buried behind some stuff in my garage until last week. Perfect timing, as it turns out. 

I calibrated in boiling water, and both probes registered 214°; close enough. I smoked 2 pork butts for Superbowl Sunday on Saturday night, and wow, what a blessing it was to monitor the temps from the comfort of my warm bed. Worth every penny not to have to get up 2 or 3 times in the night and go outside in the cold to check the readings.

Last edited:
After fighting to get mine to work correctly I threw it in the garage. Food probe will show LLL for no reason, start working and then give screwy temps. I have not damaged the probes nor got them wet while cleaning. The smoker probe is all over the place. I even tried it in the oven and it showed the oven to be 360 when it was set to 325. I did the boil/ice water test and the probe was close. Also, it would register as out of range when it was maybe 50' away (smoker on patio with remote in kitchen).

I have decided to spend more $ and get something better. I have looked but have not found something suitable yet.

After fighting to get mine to work correctly I threw it in the garage. Food probe will show LLL for no reason, start working and then give screwy temps. I have not damaged the probes nor got them wet while cleaning. The smoker probe is all over the place. I even tried it in the oven and it showed the oven to be 360 when it was set to 325. I did the boil/ice water test and the probe was close. Also, it would register as out of range when it was maybe 50' away (smoker on patio with remote in kitchen).

I have decided to spend more $ and get something better. I have looked but have not found something suitable yet.
How do you know your oven isn't heating to 360° when you set it to 325°? My mother-in-law's oven was off by way more than that. Also, 325° is an average. They spike and dip, just like electric smokers.

Has anybody else had problems with their temperature probes?  Just this last weekend, my bbq probe showed LLL.

Would the probe getting wet cause this?  This is the first problem I've had with the 732, so I'm probably going to just get a new probe unless this has been an issue with other users.

When it reads LLL that means the temp is out of limits. Meaning its either really cold or really hot. Only time mine shows that is when the temps outside are extremely cold. Once my pit gets up to temp it starts reading.

I would say either the probe isnt plugged in all the way or its bad. Try swapping the meat and pit probes and see if problem swapps. If it does then that probe is most likly bad.

Has anybody else had problems with their temperature probes?  Just this last weekend, my bbq probe showed LLL.

Would the probe getting wet cause this?  This is the first problem I've had with the 732, so I'm probably going to just get a new probe unless this has been an issue with other users.
I just fixed my second bad prob.  You have a bad crimp inside the probe.  There easy to fix if you have something to grind off the crimp on the probe tube.

This is the first one I fixed and it still works great.  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/133733/whats-inside-the-mavrick-732-probes-easy-to-fix    I just re-crimped the second one I did not solder it.

Hope this helps.

Stan

LLL is less then 32 and HHH is above 572 i think are the high and low reading.
I know, so why would it show me LLL when the probe was sitting on the grate and the smoker was rolling at 230 degrees?
Why? I can tell you why..... Because it is junk. If you so much as look at the probes wrong they will give you LLL. As I said earlier, I'm tired of fighting with it and am moving on to something that will give me good reading AND is durable. Even if it costs me more $$$$$.

LLL is less then 32 and HHH is above 572 i think are the high and low reading.
The probe coverts resistance to degrees and when the crimp on the wire loosens the resistance changes.  If you hold the probe under hot water it might start reading but 100* cooler and if not then the connection is open.  High resistance low temp reading   Low resistance high temp reading. 

Stan

I e had mine over 2 yrs and no problems what so ever with them. I check them routenly with hot water and always dead on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky