Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear’s Thoughts & Findings)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thanks for posting Bear. Those are really great pictures as well as delicious pictures. I am going to have to try placing my Maze on the bottom rack like you did. I note you had your ham in a pan, so there was no danger of drippings getting on the Maze. On meats placed on the rack with no protection for the Maze from drips since it would be above the water pan, I would have to figure a way to protect it though. A couple of questions ...

1. I assume you smoked with the Chip loader fully in place....? Always fully in place.

2. Where did you get the rack you have inside the pan for the ham to sit on. Since I'm not supposed to insert links, just search "8" x 10" Half-Size Footed Draining Grate" or "Wire Cooling racks".

I definitely need to do a ham and follow your instructions as you make it easy to understand and follow.
Thanks,

Bear

. Where did you get the rack you have inside the pan for the ham to sit on. Since I'm not supposed to insert links, just search "8" x 10" Half-Size Footed Draining Grate" or "Wire Cooling racks".

We're not?? I didn't know that!

We're not?? I didn't know that!
I've done it already, and nobody said anything, but I've seen them get removed.

I think it's because we have paid advertisers here, so we shouldn't send people to their outside competitors. Makes sense to me.

Bear

Rick, that is how we did it back then on the Weber Kettle. Haven't tried it that way for 8+ years though. Without a wireless probe, you had to do a first one to see how long to leave it in after the first 5 minutes or so. A 2 to 2 1/2 lb one would be 40-45 minutes. A 3 to 3 1/2 lb one would be 50-55 minutes. However with a wireless probe, you can just watch your Maverick to see when to take it out. When I buy another Weber 22 1/2 inch Kettle, I might try that method again and see what happens.
The cooking times seem correct to me, Jim. I have a Weber 22 1/2 inch Kettle and I actually prize above my Masterbuilt.

The first time I ever had grilled Tri-Tip steaks was at a party thrown by a co-worker of my wife's back in the mid-80s. The steaks were marinated in this:
and then grilled over charcoal. The flavors imparted from this marinade made the Tri-Tip the most incredible grilled steak I'd ever had. I bought the Basque Meat Marinade for years but they no longer sell it where I live. I'd love to find it somewhere locally or find a copycat recipe online. Ah--the Basque company sells it online from their website. Very cool.

Just found out a restaurant in Chico, CA called Basque Norte that apparently markets it's own Basque meat marinade. Some people rate it highly but I've never tried it. Have no idea why I'm giving this stuff so much space. It's because you put me in a Tri-Tip grilling mood, Jim.

Last edited:
The best price by far I have seen on the Half Size 8" X 10" drain grates to go into your half size foil pans is from Food Service Warehouse or FSW at $1.35 each. This is much cheaper than anything I have found on Amazon. Shipping is reasonable as well and they shipped same day.
[h1]This is the item I selected but they have other brands: Pinch (WPG-810C) - 8" x 10" Chrome Plated Wire Pan Grate[/h1]

The best price by far I have seen on the Half Size 8" X 10" drain grates to go into your half size foil pans is from Food Service Warehouse or FSW at $1.35 each. This is much cheaper than anything I have found on Amazon. Shipping is reasonable as well and they shipped same day.
[h1]This is the item I selected but they have other brands: Pinch (WPG-810C) - 8" x 10" Chrome Plated Wire Pan Grate[/h1]
That's a Great price!! Anything under $2 each is awesome!!

I think I paid $1.89 locally, no shipping charge.

Bear

Looks like it. The 2.5 is the only Smoker that is Bluetooth.

Everything that can be seen from the outside could be either a Gen #2 or a Gen #2.5.

However I've only ever seen the Sun Shield over the control box on the Gen #2,5 BT.

Bear
I can't confirm it is a 2.5 because I can't see the water pan in the picture, but I have to agree with what Bear said and without seeing the water pan but seeing the Sun Shield over the control box, I would guess that it could be a 2.5. 

BTW, for $30 more you can get a 40" with legs at Sams.

I dont have a Sams membership, and tons of credit to HD.....

Guys, looking for some advice on the a-Maze-n smoker box.

Should i get one right off the bat, or use the actual heat element and wood chip loader in the MES?

From what i understand, using a-Maze-n completely disengaged the smoking element of the MES?

Thanks for the help.

I am not sure this is the right place to ask this question so redirect me if not....

I just bought the Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker 20070411. It has the remote control. My question is, shouldn't the remote control tell you what temp is in the smoker? It tells me the temp I have set it at, but it doesn't tell me the actual temp that it is. I called Masterbuilt and asked them and this girl I spoke too who didn't know much and I could barely understand her, said that the remotes don't tell you this info. That's crazy!! And I at least thought it would beep or something when it reached it's set temp but no!! Whats the use of the remote? Just to turn on/off? 
icon_rolleyes.gif

I am not sure this is the right place to ask this question so redirect me if not....

I just bought the Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker 20070411. It has the remote control. My question is, shouldn't the remote control tell you what temp is in the smoker? It tells me the temp I have set it at, but it doesn't tell me the actual temp that it is. I called Masterbuilt and asked them and this girl I spoke too who didn't know much and I could barely understand her, said that the remotes don't tell you this info. That's crazy!! And I at least thought it would beep or something when it reached it's set temp but no!! Whats the use of the remote? Just to turn on/off? :icon_rolleyes:
My 40 inch when I press the meat probe on the remote it displays the probe temp then the set temp then the actual temp and alternates the actual temp and set temp several times before defaulting to just the set temp.
-Kurt

I dont have a Sams membership, and tons of credit to HD.....

Guys, looking for some advice on the a-Maze-n smoker box.
Should i get one right off the bat, or use the actual heat element and wood chip loader in the MES?
From what i understand, using a-Maze-n completely disengaged the smoking element of the MES?

Thanks for the help.
No it holds pellets in a perforated stainless steel maze tray you light with a torch that you put in the smoker that burns on its own without using the chip pan and loader on the side of the smoker. Go to the bottom of this page past all the posts and you'll see the sponsors and you'll see A-maze-n products to click on.
-Kurt

My 40 inch when I press the meat probe on the remote it displays the probe temp then the set temp then the actual temp and alternates the actual temp and set temp several times before defaulting to just the set temp.
-Kurt
Ahh...hadn't thought of that!! I will see if that is what I need to do. Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate it. 
thumb1.gif

No it holds pellets in a perforated stainless steel maze tray you light with a torch that you put in the smoker that burns on its own without using the chip pan and loader on the side of the smoker. Go to the bottom of this page past all the posts and you'll see the sponsors and you'll see A-maze-n products to click on.
-Kurt
yeahthat.gif

Yup!!

Bear

On Edit---I don't know why, but those business card ads aren't at the bottom of my pages right now, so here is a link to the AMNPS:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

Last edited:
Did you get one yet? I bought the mes 30 signature series. I absolutely love it. Cant do a full brisket on any of them, but you can do half at a time which .......ehhhh

I have no regrets, but I will add the mailbox option. I don't like the slanted pan leading to the water pan, I think it adds a shield to the heat unit? But never have a problem - and all the heating times are right on target.

I don't know if its a gen 1,2, or 3 - none of the descriptions match my unit. DEFINATELY DO NOT GET one with a window in it - glass is a horrible insulator

Theres a maze smoking unit you can put in the smoker. I have not gone that route yet, though I plan to. It will be the mailbox version, be on the outside of the smoker. What I do not know is does this unit upset the thermocouple of the smoker? IS this why they burn out on the MAsterbuilts? Also, by disconnecting the original smoke box, how does the heating element turn off and on? I see it working real hard without ever stabilizing, and thus will burn out? People say theres no issues but I have my engineering hat on too much.

I am going to get all the parts for the add on smoker and install - keeping all the pieces to put back once something goes awry. I love this smoker and don't want to ruin it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky