Masterbuilt/SMF Contest - MES-40 Up for Grabs!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done this pulled pork quite a few times. I have done both methods and quite frankly I can’t tell deference in smoke flavor. I will say that the sleep method is much easier to pull it almost falls apart. Both methods produce moist flavorful pulled pork, that I feel needs no sauce. I have also tried to take a short cut and not split the rub just mix with mustard and slather it all over put in fridge and then smoke, but it was not near as good. Trust me take the extra time and split the rub, you get much better flavor, and alot less mess.

KICKED UP PULLED PORK

Dry rub

2 Tablespoons brown sugar

2 Tablespoons garlic powder

2 Tablespoons onion powder

2 Tablespoons Thyme

2 Tablespoons oregano

2 Tablespoons chili powder

2 Tablespoons kosher salt

2 Tablespoons black pepper

2 Tablespoons Paprika

1 Tablespoon celery salt

1 Teaspoon dry sage

1 Teaspoon cumin powder

1 Teaspoon mustard powder

1 Teaspoon Chinese 5 spice

1/ 2 Teaspoon Cayenne pepper

1/2 Teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 Teaspoon ground coriander

1/2 Teaspoon ground rosemary (1 1/2teaspoon rosemary leafs ground)

Directions

Mix dry rub and divide in ½. Wash 1 8-12 pound bone in pork butt, pat dry. Lightly coat butt with extra virgin olive oil, and coat with ½ the dry rub. Wrap butt in saran wrap place in roasting pan, and place in refrigerator for 8- 24hours. Remove butt from refrigerator and unwrap. Mix 1/2cup yellow mustard with remaining dry rub. Coat butt with mustard rub mix. Allow to rest while you prepare smoker. Place in 225 degree smoker with wood of choice. In a spray bottle mix a 50/50 mixture of apple juice and Jack Daniels, and lightly spray butt every hour after 3 hours.  Smoke till internal temperature of butt reaches 200 degrees (approximately 1 ¼ - 1 ½ hours per pound). Remove from smoker spray butt and wrap in double layer of foil and allow a resting period of 1 hour. After the rest period unwrap butt and remove bone and pull pork apart, mixing juices from foil back into pork.

Method allowing you to get sleep

Prepare butt as above and place in 225 degree smoker with heavy smoke. Smoke till internal temperature of butt reaches 140 degrees. Remove from smoker and wrap in double layer of foil add ¼ cup spray juice to foil and seal tightly. Place in roasting pan and place in 225 degree oven for remainder of calculated time of 1 1/4 hour per pound. Temperature should be 200 – 210 degrees, if not leave in oven till it reaches this temperature. After butt reaches the temperature turn off oven and allow butt to remain there for 2 hours. After rest remove butt and unwrap and pull mixing juices from foil back into the pork.

Reactions: bdubnpaw
this is my favorite rib recipe that I use

RUB:

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup white sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1/3 cup granulated garlic

1/3 cup kosher salt

1 tbs chili powder

1 tsp oregano

2 tsp cayenne

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp black pepper

Sauce:

1 1/2 cups ketchup

1 medium onion, chopped

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 tablespoons Jack Daniel's Whiskey

2 clove garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

1/4 cup molasses

Preparation:

Saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add Jack Daniels and light on fire let it burn out then add other ingredients and mix well. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 45 minutes.  then put in a blender and liquefy all left over chunks of onion.

Ribs

coat ribs with yellow mustard and then rub.  Wrap in plastic wrap and let sit for an hour or more ideally overnight.

cook for 3 hours at 225 then wrap foil with honey and yellow mustard on the ribs cook for another 2 hours, then unfoil and cook for one last hour.

I have made this brisket several times. I have smoked briskets other ways and by far this is the best brisket I have done. I use a mix of hickory and mesquite, mostly hickory when I smoke briskets. This will produce a very flavorful, super moist, and tender brisket hence the name melt in your mouth brisket. I always figure 1 hour per pound for the smoke.  But in reality it usually ends up somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 1/2 hours per pound on the average. 

MELT IN YOUR MOUTH BRISKET

MARINADE

12 Ounces of Beer

1 Cup Worcestershire sauce

1/2 Cup A1 Steak Sauce

1/2 Cup Cider Vinegar

1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1/4 Cup Brown Sugar

2 Tablespoons Bottled Lemon Juice

2 Tablespoons Dry Rub

DRY RUB

1/4 Cup Brown Sugar

3 Tablespoons Black Pepper

2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt

2 Tablespoons Paprika

2 Tablespoons Chili Powder

2 Tablespoons Onion Powder

2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder

2 Tablespoons Oregano

2 Teaspoons Coriander Powder

2 Teaspoons Cayenne Pepper

2 Teaspoons Chinese 5 Spice Powder

2 Teaspoons Mustard Powder

1 Teaspoon Cumin Powder

1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger

Directions

Mix dry rub ingredients together well and place in air tight container. Mix marinade ingredients together well and let stand while you prepare brisket. Remove packer brisket from bag, wash well and pat dry.  Trim fat cap to approximately 1/4 inch, and trim off any loose meat. Place brisket on a cutting board and pierce brisket with meat squire or cooking fork a bought 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart all over. Slice fat cap down to meat in approximately 1 inch squares. Place brisket in large zip lock bag and pour in marinade, remove as much air as possible and seal. Place brisket in refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.  

Remove brisket from marinade and reserve. Rub brisket down with approximately 1/3 of dry rub mix, rub in well. Next mix 1 cup of mustard with the remaining dry rub mix, and slather all over the brisket. Allow brisket to rest while you get smoker ready.

Place reserved marinade in a pan with enough water to make approximately 1 gallon, place in smoker preferably under the brisket. Place brisket in a 225 degree smoker with wood of choice fat cap up. Smoke brisket for 3 hours. In a spray bottle mix a 50/50 solution of apple cider and apple juice. Spray brisket every hour on the hour with this mix till brisket reaches an internal temperatureof 175 degrees.

Remove from smoker and wrap in double layer of heavy duty foil with 1/2 cup of the spray mix seal tightly. At this point you can either place in a 225 degree oven and finish or place back in smoker it makes no difference.  Continue to cook till temperature reaches 190 to 200 degrees.

Remove and place in a towel lined cooler to rest for around 2 hours. Remove brisket from foil and reserve the juice. Slice brisket, I usually try for across the grain but it really does not matter with this brisket as it is so tender. Drizzle reserved juice over sliced brisket and serve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky