Masterbuilt/SMF Contest - MES-40 Up for Grabs!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Roger of Oz, how much to ship a Roo loin to Connecticut??    

Seriously though, some real great recipes here have been big hits at the Sunday Poker / Football get togethers and a couple of other events.  Neighbors are starting to hang around a lot too.  (Have to find a way to put an end to that.)

All the best to everyone.
G'day Geerock,

Actually that could be possible as my wife just happens to be from Manchester CT and is going back to see family next July. A good mate of mine (a United 747 captain now retired) always took our lamb and roo back to Portland OR with him every monthly trip he did to Sydney, no problems with quarantine in the US, just need to pack it right.  Will be heading to Portland OR next Feb myself for some skiing in the Cascades and of course some smoked Sockeye and ribs, OR style.

Roger Of Oz

Hi to Skycam,

I have been Downunder 12 times and I love the place. I taught an engraving class in Tamworth. I had kangaroo and it was excellent. I have loved smoked foods for years but now I will start doing my very own for the first time. I bought an MES 30, a meat grinder and a stuffer. Next weekend, I hope to start.
G'day Tommerr,

Yes, good old Tamworth, the country music capital of Oz. I plan on heading up there for a few days in January again for the Annual Country Music Festival.  Unfortunately it's not a smokin' town, it's a b-b-q town, probably due to the heat.  No shortage of roos up there though.

Is there a 13th trip planned?

Roger Of Oz

Venison Rolls

Pack of Cubed Venison meat (must be cubed so that it want be as tough) 

Pack of Cream cheese 

Green bell pepper

Onion

Pack of Bacon

Tooth picks

Lawry's Mesquite Marinade

1) Place meat in bowl with Lawry's Marinade at least 24 hours in advance

2) Cut bell pepper and onion in slices 

3) Place one slice of onion and bell pepper in the middle or cube venison steak

4) Also place a slice of cream cheese (equivalent to the size of the bell pepper and onion together, can not over do the cream cheese)

5) Bring ends of the steak together in a roll like manner 

6) Wrap the whole thing in bacon and place tooth picks through to hold it all together. It's best to cover the ends so that the cream cheese doesn't come out when it starts to melt. 

Smoke with mesquite wood at about 275-300 until internal temp is 190 (make sure you measure the meat internal and not the onion and bell pepper. Should take about 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours. 

I am not a fan of venison because of the gamey taste but I have never tasted it with these. 

2_36132_1469644496676_1100506730_1381897_7104319_n.jpg

G'day yourself Skycam,

Wow, what are the chances??  I am about 30 minutes south of Manchester.  If you ever decide to ski some fine New England ski resorts, we'll try some of that roo.........and some other smokes - Connecticut style.

All the best.

Let me know what you think of my brisket when you try it out.  It would be nice to hear from someone other than family..
icon_biggrin.gif

I've been trying out a few of these recipes in the last couple of weeks with the intention of trying every one of them sooner or later.  And I have done real well so far............. now I have to go find conversion charts for grams to ounces, Celsius to Fahrenheit, AND go hunting for Kangaroo.   Hey Roger of Oz, how much to ship a Roo loin to Connecticut??    

Seriously though, some real great recipes here have been big hits at the Sunday Poker / Football get togethers and a couple of other events.  Neighbors are starting to hang around a lot too.  (Have to find a way to put an end to that.)

All the best to everyone.

Mike,

Brisket is my favorite to smoke and yours sounds great.  Your intricate sauce and rub recipes sure have my interest so I will be doing it on Saturday and let you know.  I think it only fair to post my humble opinion AFTER the contest, (not that my palate is special).  I smoke brisket at a higher temp (around 240 to 250) and simply shorten the time to get to correct internal temp.  I also tend to leave it wrapped for about an hour after removing from the smoker, but your recipe will remain as is. 

All the best.

PS   It will be smoked in my MES 40.

I have a MES-40 (I think...) My wife found it for me at a garage sale, still new in the box but the box was damaged and subsequently so was the smoker... Only damage was the top door hinge and a dent in the side.  She called me to ask if I wanted it and told me the price... $45... I immediately said yes...LOL  It works great, but still a hassle with the door hinge.

I agree with you about posting your opinion, but the wait is gonna kill me... LOL 

Good luck with the smoke this weekend, I hope it turns out as well for you as it does for me ;D

Best Regards,

Mike

Venison Rolls

Pack of Cubed Venison meat (must be cubed so that it want be as tough) 

Pack of Cream cheese 

Green bell pepper

Onion

Pack of Bacon

Tooth picks

Lawry's Mesquite Marinade

1) Place meat in bowl with Lawry's Marinade at least 24 hours in advance

2) Cut bell pepper and onion in slices 

3) Place one slice of onion and bell pepper in the middle or cube venison steak

4) Also place a slice of cream cheese (equivalent to the size of the bell pepper and onion together, can not over do the cream cheese)

5) Bring ends of the steak together in a roll like manner 

6) Wrap the whole thing in bacon and place tooth picks through to hold it all together. It's best to cover the ends so that the cream cheese doesn't come out when it starts to melt. 

Smoke with mesquite wood at about 250-275 until internal temp is 160 (make sure you measure the meat internal and not the onion and bell pepper. Should take about 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours. 

I am not a fan of venison because of the gamey taste but I have never tasted it with these. 

2_36132_1469644496676_1100506730_1381897_7104319_n.jpg

Last edited:
Jalepeno Bacon Cheeseburger Fattie

Full disclosure here: I have not made this yet but it is on my short list. Pretty basic and would no doubt get me "chopped" but what the hey.  

It is adapted from the Jalepeno Cheeseburgers we have made for years for tailgating at Bucs games. Should be good.

1# of lean ground beef

1/4 cup of diced jalepeno's (adjust to taste, I like a little zing but not overpowering)

2 cups of grated cheese of choice (on the only fattie I ever made I used about that  much)

1# of thin bacon

Other "burger" ingredients to taste

Mix the beef, jalepenos and some of the cheese well and then roll out flat in a gallon ziplock.

Remove bag, spread cheese over 2/3 of the beef and roll up.

Prepare a bacon weave and roll up around the beef log.

Refrigerate overnight.

Smoke at 225 - 240* to an internal temp of 165*, this should take about 3 to 4 beers.

Slice and serve on rolls with your favorite burger toppings.

Do I get extra points for the excellent fattie tutorial?
icon_lol.gif

Now I have to figure out this facebook thing.

Edit

Or not. Just went back to the OP and saw the rules had been updated. That was my original question. Don't need to worry about facebook but I'm still going to make it. That's what I get for not reading all the posts.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Bearcarver's "Perfect Smoked Prime Rib"

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I have been consuming "Prime Rib" at every restaurant I could find, all of my life, and I have never tasted one this good (Home or Away).[/color]

That might sound like bragging, but it is entirely TRUE! 

Try It, You'll see !

Bought a 5 pound "Choice" standing rib roast (with rib bones intact) for $5.99 per pound, on sale.

This should serve anywhere from 2 to 4 people, without any problem.

This one was actually "Choice", but please excuse me for calling it "Prime Rib"  (Habit).
Prime Rib has always been my favorite meal.
This one was by far the best "Prime Rib" I have ever eaten!

From My Notes:
Day #1:

Score the exterior fat.
Coat with Worcestershire Sauce (Thick).

Then rub all over with a mixture of:

2 tsp of Crushed Black Pepper 

1 tsp of Sea Salt

1 tsp of Garlic Powder

1 tsp of Onion Powder

Double wrap roast in plastic cling wrap.
Put in fridge over night at 37˚/38˚.

Day #2:

Would like to have Dinner at 5:00 PM Today.

11:30--Pre-heat Smoker to 260˚. Put boiling water in water pan.

Also put a small drip pan on third shelf (right under the roast) to catch juices for "Au Jus" (if needed).

Add Cherry wood chips and/or chunks as needed throughout the following 4 hour process.
12:30--Put roast on second shelf. Reset heat to 230˚.

2:00---Sterilize meat probe, and insert into center of roast. Internal Temp at this point was 75˚.
3:00---Roast Internal Temp--101˚.
3:30---Roast Internal Temp--118˚.
4:00---Roast Internal Temp--130˚.
4:30---Roast Internal Temp--137˚.  

Continue smoking a few more minutes, if you want it done more than Medium Rare.(Why ruin it?)

Turn off smoker & open the door for a few minutes, to cool outer surface just a bit.

Move roast to a plate, and cover with foil to rest.

4:50 PM---Standing Rib Roast had Coasted from 137˚ to 142˚ Internal Temp---Just the way I like it!

I then use a fillet knife to carve the whole set of rib bones off of the roast in one piece.

Try to stay right along the inner "meat side" of the bones (save rib bones for later---"Chef's snack").

Once rib bones have been removed, it will be very easy to slice this Choice Standing Rib Roast to whatever size slices needed.

The juices saved for "Au Jus" were not needed due to an overabundant amount of juices still in the roast at carving time.

This unbelievable roast goes good with nearly any potato & veggie, but I chose:

Roasted Red Skinned Potatoes and Corn.

Enjoy your meal,

Bearcarver

PS: Below are some pictures with notes:  

Five pound Choice Standing Rib Roast (with the fat scored):

9384e3e7_DSC01528.jpg

Seasonings listed above are mixed well in a bowl:

4b9d5272_DSC01522.jpg

Seasoned & rubbed:

a9a8db5c_DSC01532.jpg

Wrapped in cling wrap before overnight rest in fridge:

0d3f3fab_DSC01535.jpg

On Smoker rack, ready for smoking:

9133c2e9_DSC01557.jpg

After smoking:

659aab61_DSC01570.jpg

Slicing into Beauty:

aad91a7c_DSC01572.jpg

Dinner Is Served:

f6e31fd8_DSC01577.jpg

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]  [/color]

Last edited:
Dam, now that hamburger I going to make for lunch, doesn't seem good enough, I'm going to be thinking I wish this was the prime rib
a697772d_drool.gif

This sounds great I'm gonna try it but substituting jalapenos for the bell pepper.

Did this at deer camp

2 7 lbs pork shoulders

trim any excess fat leave a 1/4 inch..

Heavily rub with McCormicks Montreal Steak, And Cavenders greek seasoning

Marinade;;

1 gallon pure apple juice

2 cans bud light Cheloda,,( clam juice makes the differnce )

marinade for 8-10 hours..

Brinkman vertical water smoker,, ( first smoker,, I know )

preheat to 225 degrees with charcoal..

Place shoulders on top 2 racks, probe in lower shoulder

2 bud lights and cup of water in water pan..

add 1 chunk apple to charcoal 2 to water pan..

(Move chucks from water pan to charcoal as needed, and add new chucks to water pan,,Slows the smoke, beer does something to the apple wood)..

Let smoke for 4 hours 120- 125 degrees..time varies with outdoor conditions..

swap meat racks leave probe in , now upper shoulder..Cook until probe reaches 160 degrees..

check lower shoulder,, mine was around 165 degrees,, there will be a time when temp holds around 140 degrees give it time it will start rising again..

remove from smoker,,

place in electric roaster with a half inch of apple juice,, I have grates for roaster to keep from sticking to bottom of roaster..

roaster set a 200 degrees,, when it reaches 170 degrees,, remove and slice,, place back in roaster for serving...

Hope you like it, we did

Last edited:
ABT’S

1 - Pound Jalapeno peppers

2 - Pounds softened cream cheese

2 - Bunches green onions chopped fine

½ - Cup real bacon bits

1 – Tablespoon chopped garlic

Couple twists of fresh cracked black pepper

Pinch sea salt

2 - Cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1 to 2 – Pounds maple bacon

IMPORTANT!

Wear gloves while preparing and stuffing peppers to prevent your hands from burning. Also do not touch any part of your body with the gloves for same reason.

Remove stems from peppers, slice peppers length wise to make a boat, remove seeds, remove veins if you desire a less hot pepper (I don’t but I like them hot), wash and let drain.

In large mixing bowl combine cream cheese, onions, bacon bits, garlic, pepper, and salt. Stir till well mixed. Mix in cheddar cheese.

Stuff pepper boats with cheese mixture. Cut bacon into strips long enough to cover stuffed peppers, and cover.

Place peppers on rack and place in 225 to 250 degree smoker, or with whatever you are smoking. Smoke till bacon on top is crisp usually around 2 ½ to 3 hours.

Enjoy these are oooooooo so good they will not last long. I make a batch of these every time the smoker is going and they do not usually last a day. I have used apple, cherry, hickory, mesquite and combinations thereof. All have been good.

a2a75340_ABT.jpg

This is my favorite way to smoke turkeys. I have smoked both fresh and up to 8% enhanced turkeys with good results, anything more the 8% you get minimal results. The enhanced turkeys have never come out overly salty. The turkeys are not overly sweet either; it’s a well balanced flavor that produces a moist and flavorful turkey. My wood I most generally use is a mix of hickory and apple. I have used hickory and cherry with no great deference. However if you use all hickory there is a stronger smoke flavor. I do not recommend Mesquite as you get an over powering smoke flavor. With that said here is how to do it.

Smoked Apple Honey brined Turkey  

4 1/2 quarts filtered water (18 cups)
4 - 12 oz cans frozen apple juice         

NOTE:  1 ½ gal bottled apple juice may be substituted for water and frozen apple juice                                                                                  

1 1/2 cup Morton kosher salt 

1/2 cup white sugar 
3/4 cup honey 
1/2 cup brown sugar 
4 oranges zested, juiced, and pulp saved 
4 oz of fresh ginger chopped 
15 large whole cloves crushed
3 bay leaves crushed 
6 large garlic cloves chopped 
2 Tablespoons pickling spice crushed                                                                                                   

1/3 cup Morton’s tender quick (optional)

The tender quick was added on the advice of a professional meat inspector and smoker. He stated it will help reduce bacteria growth while in the brine and smoker with minimal change in flavor.

Directions  
At least 1 day before brining  
1. In a large stock pot, bring 6 cups water to a boil, add salt, and sugar. Stirring  frequently to be sure salt and sugar is dissolved. 
2. Reduce heat and add orange zest juice and pulp, ginger, cloves, bay leaves, garlic, pickling spice, and tender quick, simmer for 15-20 min partly covered. 
3. Remove from heat and place pan in ice bath in sink.                                                                                         

4. After liquid has cooled below 150 deg. Mix in honey. 
5. Cover and refrigerate

6. Chill remaining water or apple juice                               

Day of brining  
1. Wash turkey inside and out, making sure you have removed the innards, and tail. 
2. Loosen skin on turkey  
3. In clean 5 gal bucket or large stock pot add remaining water, and apple juice,  stir till apple juice is dissolved, add  seasoned water, stir to combine. 
5. Place turkey in turkey roasting bag neck down.
6. Place turkey in cooler large enough to hold turkey and pack ice around turkey roasting bag.

7. Pore brine  into turkey roasting bag                                                                                                                                   

8. Remove as much air as possible from turkey roasting bag and tie off                                                          

9. Let turkey soak for 24-36 hours.

After brining  
1. Remove turkey from brine 
2. Rinse turkey well inside and out in cold running water, making sure you get under loosened skin  
3. Let turkey drain 10 to 15 min.

4. Pat dry.                                                                                                                                  

5.. Place turkey uncovered in refrigerator for at least 12 hours   

Day of cooking                                                                                                                                                    

1.  Remove turkey a bought 1 hour before smoking time.                                                                  

2.  Mix the following together and rub under skin of turkey                                                           

1 stick no slat butter                                                                                                                                     

1/8 teaspoon ground ginger                                                                                                                      

pinch ground cloves                                                                                                                         

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder                                                                                                                    

1 1/2 teaspoon pickling spice crushed fine                                                                                                      

1 teaspoon poultry seasoning                                                                                                                             

1 teaspoon white sugar                                                                                                                           

3. Smoke turkey in 275 -300 degree smoker with wood of your choice till turkey reaches 165- 170 in the thickest part of thigh and breast.  

4. Remove from smoker wrap in double layer of foil and let rest for 30 min before carving.                                                     

If you like Margaritas you will love this chicken.  The skin is semi crisp and chicken is packed full of flavor and is as moist as can be. The best woods I have found to smoke this with are either apple or cherry.  I have used whole chickens as well as parts.  This is soooooooo good I have to make at least 4 chickens every time I do it or there is no left over’s.  The mayo does not add any flavor what so ever.  I have tested this by making some with the mayo and some without. The only difference was the ones without had less rub.

Margareta chicken

Injection

1/3 cup extra virgin Olive oil  
2/3 cup margarita mix
¼ cup tequila

Dry rub

4 tablespoons lemon pepper
2 tablespoons dehydrated chopped onion 
3 tablespoons southwest chipotle  seasoning
2 tablespoons roasted garlic with bell peppers seasoning mix
1 tablespoon white sugar 

Directions

Mix injection and inject chicken, 1 once in each leg quarter and 4 once in each breast. Place injected chicken in zip lock bag and place in refrigerator for 8 to 24 hours.

Mix dry rub. Remove chicken from refrigerator and cover with a coat of mayonnaise this helps hold rub on. Coat chicken well with dry rub, and let sit while you get smoker ready.   

Place chicken in 225 to 250 degree smoker and smoke with wood of choice, till an internal temperatureof 170 is reached in thickest part of thigh. Remove from smoker and double foil wrap and rest for at least 30 minutes.

Last edited:
I do these ribs quite often epically when packers are on sale. I always do 2 racks and they do not last long. A friend of mine used this recipe in an amateur cook off several years ago and took first place. The ribs are not falling apart as you might think there is a slight pull to them when you bite into them. If you want fall off the bone ribs up the juice in the foil and leave them in the foil a bit longer. There is a nice bark on the ribs from the rub and in my opinion they need no sauce. I normally smoke these with a combo of hickory and apple. I have used other woods with great success so use the wood of your choice.

OUT OF THIS WORLD RIBS

Rub

1 1/2 Tablespoons packed dark brown sugar

1 1/2 Tablespoons white sugar

1 Tablespoons paprika

1 1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt

1 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder

3/4 Teaspoon black pepper

3/4 Teaspoon ground ginger

3/4 Teaspoon onion powder

3/4 Teaspoon mustard powder

3/4 Teaspoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon rosemary powder (3/4 teaspoon rosemary leaves ground)

Directions

Remove ribs from package and wash. Remove the membrane from back of ribs, and pat dry. Apply a light coat of extra virgin olive oil to both sides of ribs. Coat ribs with dry rub.  Wrap ribs in saran wrap and put in refrigerator for 8 to 24 hours.  Remove ribs from refrigerator, allow to warm up while you get smoker ready. Remove ribs from saran wrap and place in 225 degree smoker with wood of choice.  Fill spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of apple juice and Jack Daniels.   Lightly spray the ribs every hour for the first 2 hours, the 3[sup]rd[/sup] hour remove ribs from smoker.  Wrap ribs in double layer of foil with approximately 4 tablespoons of spray mixture return to smoker for 2 hours.  After the 2 hours remove ribs from foil and return to smoker for 1 hour. After 1 hour check ribs if there is  approximately 1/4 inch of bone showing on ends of ribs remove the ribs from smoker and allow to rest for 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky