Masterbuilt/SMF Contest - MES-40 Up for Grabs!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bacon weave pork loin

2 lb weave of thick sliced bacon sprinkle rub to your liking.
4 lb boneless pork loin rubbed down the night before with your rub.
Roll loin onto rub side of bacon weave leaving loin ends open.
Sprinkle rub to your liking on bacon weave outside.
Smoke at temps of 225-230, basting every half hour with apple juice.
Smoke until inner temp reaches 145-150 degrees.  Wrap tightly in foil for an hour.  Slice and serve.

Simple?  Yes, simply delicious.

ETA: I'm having trouble adding photos whether from a file on my computer or parked on the web.  Will try again later.  :(

ETA: Three separate times I have tried to add photos, each time I receive this response: 
body, td, input{font-family:arial;font-size:16px;}#container{padding:5px 20px;}#header h2{font-size:27px;color:#d0d0d0;margin: 22px 0 10px;}#searchform{width:470px;margin:0;}#searchform input{font-size:18px;border: 1px solid #aaa;color:#aaa;}#searchform input:hover, #searchform input:focus, #searchform input:active{border: 1px solid #888;color:#000;} #searchform input.searchbox{padding:4px;width:300px;}#searchform input.searchbutton{padding: 3px 10px;color:#000;}#searchform div.poweredby{float:right;width:80px;text-align:center;}#searchform div.poweredby span{font-size:10px;}#searchform div.poweredby img{width:60px
A temporary error occurred. Please retry your request.  I give up. 
icon_neutral.gif

body, td, input{font-family:arial;font-size:16px;}#container{padding:5px 20px;}#header h2{font-size:27px;color:#d0d0d0;margin: 22px 0 10px;}#searchform{width:470px;margin:0;}#searchform input{font-size:18px;border: 1px solid #aaa;color:#aaa;}#searchform input:hover, #searchform input:focus, #searchform input:active{border: 1px solid #888;color:#000;} #searchform input.searchbox{padding:4px;width:300px;}#searchform input.searchbutton{padding: 3px 10px;color:#000;}#searchform div.poweredby{float:right;width:80px;text-align:center;}#searchform div.poweredby span{font-size:10px;}#searchform div.poweredby img{width:60px;}
[h2] [/h2]

Last edited:
smoked ribs

To make the easiest go of it, buy the pork spareribs already trimmed. A St. Louis style slab is perfect for this recipe. Season the slab with a bit of salt and pepper, and if you have it a little onion powder and garlic powder, too.

Use your smoker or prepare your gas grill for smoking. The temperature needs to be close to 225 degrees Fahrenheit for about 5 hours.

When the ribs are almost done (140-145 degrees internal temperature), brush on a 50/50 mixture of your favorite bbq sauce and water (or beer), and cook for another 10 minutes. Repeat the "brush and cook for 10" routine until the ribs are tender.

Remove the barbecued pork spareribs from the cooker and allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving with a big pile of smoky baked beans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fool Proof Smoked Chicken Wings 

Well since I can't complete with the complexity of some of these other recipes (although I've already subscribed to this thread for future reference), I'll put up a sure-fire crowd pleaser. BBQs, Birthdays, Football, you name it... These wings have become a mandatory item at all gatherings!

Ingredients:

4Lbs Chicken wings

1 Bottle Italian dressing

Your favorite dry rub

The day before:

1. Clean and separate the wings into wingettes and drumettes

2. Put them all into a freezer bag or plastic container of your choice

3. Dump in the italian dressing

4. Toss in the fridge for the night

The day of:

1. Dump the wings into a colendar and give them a quick rinse to remove excess dressing

2. Move the wings into a clean bag

3. Add a liberal amount of your favorite rub and toss to coat

Cooking:

1. Get your heat up - a high quick smoke will reduce the chances of leathery chicken skin

2. Put the wings in the smoke (I personally prefer hickory, but taster's choice)

3. Cook for 1 - 1.5 hours at 300 - 325

Remove from smoke and get creative:

From here, if they last long enough, you can sauce them and throw them on a grill, or just consume... Speaking from personal experience, they usually don't last long enough to worry about so grab what you can and enjoy!

Going into the smoker:

292cf6c7_wings20004w.jpg

After 30 minutes:

917e21a9_wings20005w.jpg

Ready to enjoy:

c7635cbf_wings20006w.jpg

Everytime I make these, they fall off the bone, the sliced onion brings out the flavor.

Baby Back Ribs

2 racks of Baby Back Pork Ribs

Spicy Brown Mustard

Basic Rub

1 - Thinly sliced onion

Remove membrane from the backside of the ribs

Slather ribs with the spicy brown mustard

Cover with basic rub

Top with thinly sliced onions

Smoke with your favorite hardwood, I prefer Hickory at 225 degrees for 3-4 hours

Top with your favorite BBQ sauce of eat plain.

Basic Rub

1/4 cup of brown sugar
4 Tbs garlic powder

2 Tbs ground black pepper
1 Tbs  Kosher salt

1 Tbs celery salt
 1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbs paprika

Smoked Turkey Breast

This is basically the same recipe that Jeff sent out in last months newsletter.

I like to find a small bone in turkey breast around 4 pounds.

Brine with your favorite brining mixture, I use kosher salt and a little brown sugar, overnight.

Rub generously with your favorite rub.

Smoke with your favorite wood at about 240 degrees, I like Apple or cherry for poultry.

At about the 1.5 hr mark insert temp probe and continue to smoke until the breast reaches 161 degrees at it's thickest point.

Wrap in double foil, towel and place in cooler for about a half hour.

Take out, carve and enjoy.

This recipe is simple but tasty.  I am new to the smoking game but LOVE IT!!  I am from Kentucky and I grew up calling the sausage I am using gut sausage because it is stuffed in gut.  You will need to look for stuffed sausage or maybe make your own!!  That's what we do! 

"Smoked Gut Sausage"

I make a sauce that we use on all kinds of meat either during cooking or after that is just 8 oz honey, a bottle of hot sauce(your choice) and garlic and cayenne to taste.  Combine in a sauce pan and simmer for about an hour.  It is just good and can be adapted any way.  I make mine pretty spicy.

I have a Traeger smoker(I know...I know... I get ribbed about it all the time by purists about it not being a real smoker but I sure enjoy my smoking experience using it!!) I set it on medium heat and have used just about any wood but I like apple the best.

I usually use about two pounds of the "hot" if I buy it and it is all "hot" if it is what we make.  When you coil it just place it right on the grate and don't put any sauce on it yet.  I let it cook for about 45 minutes or til it starts looking like it is really starting to cook.  With gut sausage you can tell by the way it looks because it will start drawing up.  At this point you can start saucing it, turning it over to get both sides.  Make sure your sauce has cooled down before you use it or it will be to runny.

Continue this until the sausage has really started looking drawn( You will know what I mean when you actually do it)  It stays pretty moist because it has so much fat and the sauce helps the skin stay intact. You can always check the internal temp with a probe thermometer, which is the best thing since sliced bread!

Remove it from the smoker and slice it small for appetizers or the appropriate size for whatever type bread or bun or biscuit you are putting it on and enjoy!!

Cajun Style Smoked Chicken Rub Recipe

For the chicken rub, you'll need...

INGREDIENTS:

4 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon (or to taste) of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried sage

Combine all of the ingredients well. If the herbs are whole, break them up in a mortar and pestle, or rub them vigorously between your hands. Season the chicken on all sides. Let it rest in the fridge for an hour before smoking to give the flavors time to absorb. For more flavorful breast meat, put the chicken dry rub under the skin, right against the flesh.

If you like it spicy, you'll love this smoked chicken rub recipe. A blend of several spices along with a bit of good ol' cayenne pepper gives this one an unforgettable kick of flavor.

I usually prepare chickens spatchcock style for smoking. It makes it easy to season all surfaces of the bird for maximum flavor.

How to Spatchcock a Chicken

1.With a sturdy pair of kitchen shears, cut along each side of the backbone and remove it
2.Spread the ribcage open and press the chicken flat

That's all there is to prepping a chicken spatchcock style. In this form the seasonings and smoke easily reach all sides of the chicken. It also decreases the cooking time a bit to boot.

RWGNsmoke...

Bacon

Ingredients

Pork Belly

Use the belly meat from the back of the belly (closest to the loin). This is the meatiest part of the belly as opposed to the meat that comes off the front of the belly, which is a little skimpy as it has to be pulled off of the ribs.

Begin with fresh bellies that have been chilled to about 42 degrees F within 24 to 30 hours after slaughter. If the fresh bellies are purchased from a commercial source, they will have been properly chilled. If the source is farm slaughter, take care to chill them rapidly. Do not stack warm bellies during the chilling process, and begin curing within 48 hours after slaughter.

Trim the bellies to the desired shape. This is typically square or rectangular, and will enable you to cut uniform slices of bacon from the belly once it has been cured and smoked.

Brine (Wet-cure)

A brine has 2 main ingredients: Salt and Sugar. Salt is the primary ingredient, with sugar added to offset some of the salt's harshness, and to keep the meat more moist and soft during aging. One of the reasons that bacon keeps so long is that it's been both brined and smoked. The salt in the brine is used to pull moisture out of the meat. The less moisture that's in the meat, the more inhospitable it is to bacteria, that cause spoilage. Brining also prepares the meat for smoking, which has preservative powers of its own. Smoke also brings a lot of flavor, aroma, and color to your bacon. Nitrates and nitrites are often included as anti-bacterial agents as they are particularly effective against the deadly botulism organism. They also ensure a nice pink color on the meat.

Whereas there are many brine recipes out there, there are also several commercially prepared brines available for purchase. These brines have your basic salt and sugar and some have added spices and flavoring to give a characteristic flavor, aroma or appearance.

We use a Maple cure, that is available from ‘The SausageMaker’ (www.sausagemaker.com). We do not follow the instructions that come with this cure, but rather use 10 ounces of cure to 2 gallons of water. Make enough brine to fill a non-reactive container that allows you to completely submerse your pork bellies. (2 Gallons of brine is about right for 2 x 3-pound pork bellies)

Curing

Place the container with the submerged pork bellies (use plates to weigh down the bellies if they float to the top of the water) in the refrigerator for 4 days. Overhaul the meat in the container each day.

It is important that the temperature of the refrigerator is kept at a constant 38F. Temperatures lower than 36F will cause the curing action to stop. Temperatures above 40F will cause the meat to spoil.

Preparation for Smoking

Rinse the pork bellies with fresh water, and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Before you smoke the bellies, you must further dry them so that a pellicle forms on the outside of the meat. A pellicle forms as a result of the cure pulling water soluble proteins up to the surface of the meat. When these proteins dry, they form a shiny, sticky coating over the meat, which will absorb the smoke much better. The meat will not take smoke until the surface is dry. If the meat is smoked when still damp, it will be smudgy, not rich in color and not taste as good.

To achieve this, elevate the meat on cooling racks and set up a household fan to blow over it and help speed up the drying process. Turn the meat over halfway through the drying process. The length of time it takes to dry depends on the meat, the relative humidity and the speed of the fan. As a guideline about 30 minutes on each side should do it. You should notice the meat take on a surface sheen which is an indication that the pellicle has formed.

Source of Wood for Smoke

Use only hardwood sawdust or chips for smoking. Resinous evergreen wood will impart an undesirable flavor. Here are a few wood options that we like:

Wood

Characteristics

Apple

Slightly sweet, fruity smoke that is mild , but capable of flavoring bacon
CherrySlightly sweet, fruity smoke that is mild , but capable of flavoring bacon
Hickory Strong hearty taste

Oak

Strong, earthy smoke for a robust bacon

Maple

Sweet smoke – good for bacon you will eat with pancakes
Smoking

Hang the pork bellies on bacon hangers in the smoker. Bacon hangers can also be purchased from ‘The Sausagemaker’ (www.sausagemaker.com). Alternatively you can make your own, using a piece of non-resinous wood material about 2-inches wide, 1/2-inch thick, and 12-inches long. Space four or five No. 6 galvanized nails along the board. Make a hanger from No. 9 galvanized wire and fasten the one end to the middle of the piece of wood.

We like to cold-smoke the meat at a low temperature over a long period of time. This ensures that you get the maximum smoke penetration and gives you a rich color on the meat. Try to keep the temperature of the smoker between 80F and 100F. When you start going above this the surface of the meat will start to seal and the smoke will no longer penetrate the meat. Smoke the meat for about 8 hours, or until you are happy with the color.  

Handling the Finished Product

Remove the rind if it was not already removed when you got the meat. This is made easier if you allow the bacon to sit in the refrigerator overnight and firm up.

Slice the bacon to your desired thickness. We use an electric meat slicer to yield uniform pieces, but if you have a lot of time and patience on your hands you can do this manually. This is made easier by slightly freezing the bacon first.

Bacon cured and smoked in this fashion is perishable and needs to be frozen or stored in a refrigerator until eaten.

Loose slices of uncooked bacon should be vacuum-packed or wrapped very tightly in cling film so that no air can get in. Do not use greaseproof paper, as the bacon will dry out. Loose bacon can be stored in the refrigerator for up to eight days and in the freezer for 3 months. If you plan on freezing the bacon, it will keep it’s fresh flavor a lot longer if it is not sliced.

Keep it simple Pork Butt

Take a 8 pound pork butt and cut it in half.

Take each 4 pound side and tye up with cotton bakers string to make a tight ball.

Rub down with wet style yellow mustard and then add a dry rub of paprika and oregano. Be liberal to coat with dry ingredients.

Place on smoker rack level with thermometer. On rack below place water pan with two cups of Apple Cider Vinegar.

Hickory Smoke for 4 hours at 220 degrees and then turn meats over. Continue to smoke for 4 more hours and turn meat over, replenish vinegar as needed.

Now monitor internal temps on the meat for an additional two hours until the meat temps rise to 170 degrees,  Pull meat and Eat!!!

Best of luck to all who entered! Cheers!

fired up ROSE -   thats my     royal  oak smoker  electric     SUN AM...
after getting up to 220f--- loaded with--3 LB BONELESS LEG OF LAMB...
i put 5 slits in roast and put small amount of powdered garlic in slits---

other than this it was right out of refrigerator 1 hr...

i use hickory saw dust for smoke.........

i filled water pan ...........

i took the lamb out of rose at 145 f  internal lamb temp.
and put in covered tupperware bowl for a hour...

when i sliced--it was still a little pink .........

cut into 1/2 inch slices ---served  on kaiser roll-- --used spicy mustard as condiment ..

OMG _ OMG _OMG

simple***simple---simple
this is great
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

in fact--now is time to thaw my last one in freezer--its been there since easter.....

Last edited:
Baby back ribs: If using vac-pac ribs, no brining neede, if using fresh cut, use a basic brine for 12-18 hours.

My recipe for rub : (adjust to taste as necessary)

Brown sugar - 2 tbsp

Sea salt - 2 tbsp

Chili powder - 2 tbsp

Paprika - 2 tbsp

Ground cumin and coriander - 1 tbsp each

onion, garlic, and mustard podwers - 1 tbsp each

Unsweetened baking cocoa powder - 1 tbsp

MSG - 1 tbsp (optional, but I like it)

podwered thyme and oregano - 1 &1/2 tsp each

Chipotle chili pepper - 1 tsp

Allspice - 1 tsp

Celery seed - 1 tsp

White sugar - 1 tsp

Sift mixture through tea strainer several times to break up any lumps and insure even blend then place in large spice bottle with shaker top.

After removing the membrane from ribs, cut in half and apply generous amount of rub to both sides, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 12 hours. Remove from refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Meanwhile, start coals in charcoal grill and soak chips and/or chunks of preferred smoking wood. Place aluminum pie pan with water directly over coals.

Using indirect grilling, smoke ribs for 1 & 1/2 hours. Flip and turn and rotate ribs occasionally to ensure even cooking. After 30 minutes, begin spraying ribs every 15 minutes with rib spray:

In spray bottle mix:

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1/2 cup cranberry juice

2 -3 tbsp yellow mustard

1 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp chipotle Tobasco sauce

1/4 tsp liquid smoke

Shake well

Remove ribs from grill and double wrap in heavy-duty aluminum foil and finish cooking in 275 degree oven for 1- 1&1/2 hours or until ribs have pulled back from bone 1/2 inch. Unwrap and tent for 15 minutes. Enjoy

Smoked Apple Ribs

2 full racks of ribs

2 bags of Brown Sugar

1 Handful of Nature Seasoning

1 Handful of Montreal Steak Seasoning

1 Small bottle or can of Apple Juice

Start by rinsing your racks of ribs under cold water and removing any unwanted bone chips or other bits.

Remove thin membrane from back side of ribs.

Mix both seasonings together with the brown sugar.

Pack mixture on top of ribs so that entire top is covered.

Wrap ribs in Aluminum Foil and place in fridge overnight.

Start up smoker and let reach a temperature of 220.

When temp is attained add your wood ( I prefer apple wood for this but if you want something stronger go for it).

Place ribs seasoned side up in your smoker and close lid.

Every 30 minutes spray apple juice on your ribs with a spray bottle.

After 4 - 5 hours remove ribs and wrap them in foil again.

Return them to the smoker for another 3 hours.

After 3 hours open foil packs but do not discard.

Add your favorite BBQ sauce and recover the foil.

Place back in smoker for 1 additional hour.

Remover from smoker after 1 hour and serve to hungry guests!

Or eat them all yourself and don't share with anyone!

grabbed the recipe off of food network about 5 years ago then modified to my own liking! Not sure who the original author was!

Last edited:
[h2] [/h2][h2]Smoked Scallops[/h2]
  • Mesquite wood chips
  • 6  cups  water
  • 1/3  cup  kosher salt
  • 1/4  cup  sugar
  • 36  sea scallops
  • 2/3  pound  thinly sliced prosciutto
  • 6  green onions, sliced

end class="rcpdetail"

[h2]Preparation[/h2]
Soak wood chips in water to cover at least 30 minutes.

Combine 6 cups water, salt, and sugar in a bowl, stirring to dissolve. Rinse scallops, and stir into brine. Cover and chill 1 hour; drain.

Arrange scallops in a single layer on a wire rack; chill 1 hour.

Prepare charcoal fire in smoker; let burn 15 to 20 minutes. Drain chips, and place on coals. Place water pan in smoker; add water to fill line.

Wrap strips of prosciutto around scallops, securing with wooden picks. Place scallops on upper rack. Place rack in smoker. Sprinkle green onions over scallops (most will drop into water); cover with smoker lid. Cook 20 minutes or until done

Coastal Living, SEPTEMBER 2001

Last edited:
Cody'z Killer Citrus Salmon

2 Salmon fillets from a silver or King salmon. double the  recipe if you were lucky enough to catch 2 . I live here in Washington state and regularly fish for Salmon, Sturgeon and Steelhead.  My wife will only eat salmon if it is citrusy ,so i modified my old recipe and this is what i came up with . This brine is also good with Red Snapper, Yellow Tail, Ling Cod and most other rock fish caught off the coast

Dry ingredients:

1 C. Brown Sugar

1 C. White Sugar

1 C. Kosher Salt

2 TBS. Lemon Pepper

2 TBS. McCormicks 'It's a Dilly' ( hard to find -they dont make it any more but Mrs. Dash will work )

1 TBS. Crushed Red Pepper

1 tsp. rosemary

2 bay leaves

wet ingredients: 

1 Gallon Water or White Wine

2. TBS crushed Garlic

4. TBS E.V,O,O.  (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)

2. TBS.Apple Cider Vinegar  

juice,pulp and rind of

3 Lemons

2 Oranges

1 Lime

1 Onion

4 dashes of 'Tabasco' or 'Franks Red Hot' sauce 

Prep:

Cut Salmon Fillets into 3  or 4 inch pieces set in fridge .

Put dry  ingredients in a bowl and mix well 

Put White Wine/Water, Apple Cider Vinegar,  E.V,O,O   In a coated metal (  roasting pan) or non metallic container (large glass bowl). I use a 4 gallon enamel coated  canning pot.

Add chopped Onion, Tabasco and Garlic.

Cut fruit in half . Using a fork ,squeeze and work most of the pulp out , then cut the rinds into chunks.

Add dry ingredients and mix for 2  to 3 minutes or until dissolved. 

Add salmon chunks to brine and put the container into the fridge. ( I put mine in an ice chest, with the bottom filled with ice ) let the Salmon soak for 18 to 24 hours. 

After they have been in the pool long enough, take Salmon out of the fridge, lay them skin side down and pat dry with a paper towel (DO NOT RINSE!)  . You can add additional brown sugar to them @ this time. Let them air dry for 2 hours until they have a nice glossy sticky coating .

Smoke:

I have a Brinkman charcoal smoker and a NB 'Bandera' with a vertical smoke vault and an off set fire boix,  I have modified both smokers so i get even temps and longer smoke times .

I have found it best to smoke the fish on the top 3 shelves of the Bandera sense they are nearest the smoke stack the temp ranges from 165* to 185*. 

Place hardwood  briquette's   in fire box using the 'Minion Method' then add your 'Alder Wood Chunks'. I put mine in an old 10 inch cast iron pot with holes in the lid. 

smoke @ 165 for 5 to 8 hours depending on how you like your smoke.

a88d2030_SALMON.4.jpg

Smoked Dried Venison (or any lean meat)

The Meat:

Any lean cut will work.  I use the loins cut in 6-8” lengths, the Sirloin, and Rump cuts,  and any portion of the hind quarters.  Remove as much fat and Silverskin as possible.  Cut into uniform pieces for uniform cooking times. Try to have the maximum thickness of no more than 4” for uniform curing without having to inject the meat.

The Brine:

1 Gallon Water

1.25 cups of Morton’s Tenderquik

1.25 cups brown sugar

3 bay leaves

3 cloves garlic crushed (or 1 Tablespoon granulated garlic)

1 Tablespoon Onion Powder 

1 Tablespoon Juniper Berries, slightly crushed (or 1-½ shots of gin)

½ Tablespoon Black Peppercorns, slightly crushed

Put all ingredients in a pan and stir to dissolve the salt & sugar while brining to a boil.  Hard boil for 10 minutes to get everything all happy.  The brine must be cooled to around 38-40 degrees before you can add the meat. I usually set the pan in the sink with some Ice and water to cool it down and then put it in the fridge overnight.

If you have pieces of meat thicker than 4” it is best to inject some brine into the centers before putting in bags. Divide your meat up into a few gallon sized  Ziplock bags so it is not overcrowded and then divide the brine up between all the bags.  Squeeze out any air and seal the bags up.  You can also use a plastic container but you will have to weigh the meat down to keep it submerged. Put in the coldest part of the fridge and let them set for 5-7 days, turning and kneading the bags (or stirring if in plastic container) every day or so.

The Smoke:

Take the meat out of the brine and rinse the pieces off and pat dry.  If you are concerned about the meat being too salty, cut a piece off and fry it up to taste test. Do not be concerned with the texture of the meat….only the taste. If it is too salty you can soak it in cold water for about an hour and try it again. Make a mental note if you have to do this as you can shorten the brine time by a couple of days on future batches.

Set your smoker up to run at about 225 degrees and put the meat in.  If you have a water pan for your smoker….use it…it will help to keep the meat moist. Keep smoke on it for the first 3-4 hours, after that you can just use heat.  I’ve used apple, cherry, hickory, and pecan wood and it is all good…just pick one you like and use it. Keep Meat in smoker until the internal temp reaches 155-160 degrees. This can take anywhere from 4-8 Hrs. At this point the meat is done and can come out.  Let the meat rest on the counter or shut the smoker off, open it up, and let it cool.  When cool put it in the fridge overnight as it will be easier to slice when it is cold. Slice the meat up and put in Ziploc bags if you are going to use it within a week, or vacuum pack if you plan on freezing it for later.

Try This:

Chipped Venison Dip 

1 Cup finely minced dried venison
2 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 Cup sour cream
1/2 med. green pepper, chopped fine
¼  Cup minced onion
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
3/4 c. chopped Walnuts or Pecans (optional)

Combine all ingredients but nuts and place in small casserole dish (about 3-4 cup size). Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Sauté nuts in 1 tablespoon butter with a dash of garlic salt until nuts are slightly browned. When dip is heated through, remove from oven and top with sautéed nuts. Serve with crackers. Good cold as well.

bacon wrapped water chestnuts

cut bacon into 1/3

2-8oz cans of water chestnuts

2 T lemon juice

1T worcestershire

1T season salt

soak water chestnuts for about 4 hours wrap in 1/3 bacon strips smoke for about 2 hours at 225 then pour on sauce

1/2 c ketchup

1/4 c white sugar

1/4 c brown sugar

Add some Jim Beam to taste

Last edited:
I originally got this recipe from this website:

http://barbecuerecipescookbook.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=36

I have added a few things to it though to make it my own, understanding I need to give credit where credit is due the original recipe was posted by Jerry Berwanger on the link above.  I dont know if this would still qualify as my own recipe or not.  Like I said I have made a couple changes to the original recipe above.  I like a little heat so I added in Jalapenos and I thought since I use Jeff's Rub on just about everything it would be a nice addition as well and it really ties it together with your BBQ if you use the same rub in both dishes.

I would also like to offer up my humble apologies to this forum, I did copy and paste this base recipe and added the ingredients that I feel make it better.  I was unaware of the policies of this forum at the time and was in a rush to go hunting for the weekend, not an excuse just an explanation.  This is one of my favorite recipes, and the changes that I made to it I feel make it a better dish.  I have always enjoyed this forum and the members of it and the exchanges of ideas and information on here.  If I have offended you by adding a recipe that I truely do love (its in some of my old Qviews) then I am very sorry and offer you my humble apologies.  Hopefully this will put me back in the good graces of the smoking gods.  If this recipe is to close to the orignal then I can just delete this post or a mod can do it for me, but my question to you is how many ingredients make a recipe your own?  We all got an idea or inspiration from somewhere and built on it from there.

Smoked Baked Beans

2 - 16-oz cans of beans (I use Bush Baked Beans)
Drain sauce out of can and discard.
3/4 cup BBQ sauce
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped smoked pork or brisket (or use bacon)

1 chopped jalapeno pepper (remove seeds and membrane for milder taste)
2 tablespoons honey
3/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon Jeff’s Naked Rib Rub (or your rub of preference)

Serves 6
Fold together all ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer to an aluminum baking pan. Place in smoker uncovered at medium heat (225 F.- 275 F.) for about 90 minutes or until heated though.

Next time you smoke a pork shoulder or brisket put some away in a freezer bag for use in your beans. I use hickory wood but other woods would add a nice flavor as well. 

Last edited:
Man, this thread is making my mouth water! Looking forward to what you guys come up with over the weekend...

As a newbie smoker, I can not WAIT to try some of these recipes.

Man, this thread is making my mouth water! Looking forward to what you guys come up with over the weekend...

As a newbie smoker, I can not WAIT to try some of these recipes.
I was just thinking the same thing............   the pictures alone had me wanting to chew on my monitor!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky