Masterbuilt Review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greg downard

Original poster
Apr 30, 2017
Purchasing  30" Masterbuilt deluxe smoker last year about this time, to replace my old Gen 1 30" smoker that I have had for years, I find a great disappointment in today's new Gen 2? 3? smoker.

New smoker has a glass door. After a good smoking, the glass becomes nearly impossible to clean. I clean glass, racks and probe after each use. Walls and the rest of the interior I leave the smokey seasoning on it.

The door seal, still leaks smoke and moister just like the old one.

The light is useless because it only shines inside when the door is open. I tend to like to see through the glass when I can and try not to constantly open the door to let the heat escape so I can see the progress of my smoking job.

My biggest complaint!  The chip pan and loader are half the size as the old smoker. The pan sits too far above the heating element to get the little bit of chips to smolder good. Thus, less smoke and shorter time for smoking. That I have to figure out some re figuring of my own.  

The other complaint is the temp sensor. Doesn't read lower temps for like drying jerky. I think the metal sides are deflecting the heat or something. Cabinet temp according to my thermal infrared thermometer  shows the actual temp is about 15 to 25 degrees off.

Being gone all winter, my new smoker set in my garage waiting for spring. Beings I had only used it maybe 4 times so far, I get it out, Get it ready and the meat probe fails. I contact Masterbuilt and in 6 weeks, I have a whole new probe and controller unit, no questions asked. After installing new controller/probe, had to call their tech support because I couldn't get the remote to synchronize I guess I misread the instructions . Or did I?  Never the less, It works now but the new controller requires you to turn on the unit with the remote if you want to use it.  Either use the remote or the main controller. It won't let you use either/or.

I do like the stand with rollers on it. Makes it easy for this old man to move around. I also like the front drip pan. Real easy to empty. The old smoker had a pan in the back that never seemed to fit right.

I like the removable rack slides too.

This new smoker was a limited addition red unit. I wouldn't spend the extra money on one myself. It was a gift to me.

I have 4 different smoker for various purposes. Of course, the old faithful wood smoker is the greatest but for limited smoking, I thought these little ones would suffice.

Would I get another one? I doubt it.

I think Bearcarver has a thread in here somewhere explaining the differences in all the MES units.

I'm pretty sure he is not to happy with the Gen 2 models either.

I'm sure he will see this & give you the link to that thread.

Al

I hate to keep throwing fuel on this fire regarding Masterbuilts and I wrote a long post with my feelings not so long ago. That being said, a many a newbie like I was once gets their first taste of smoking meats with a Masterbuilt product. Why? Because their a nice looking product at a very good price. They make a great tool to learn Smoking 101 on.

Problem is, the darn things aren`t made that well. This section of the forums is polluted with posts of users who have Masterbuilt issues, A large bulk of them seem to be electrical issues that are either the element or the controller. Masterbuilt would help its cause if they dedicated themselves to make a product that is made better, cut and dry.

What would I suggest? Don`t start with a Masterbuilt. If you really want electric go with a Smokin-it product and spend a little more $$.

Option 2 is to learn on a Weber Smokey Mountain, a product in the same price range as the Masterbuilt but will give you years of service.

Just my 2 cents

One gets what they pay for.  Mostly.  The older units were apparently made with tighter production control.  The newest models were supposed to address many of the problems associated with the intermediate model, which I think was the model 2.  I think Bear identified problems early on and addressed them with Masterbuilt.   I seem to remember reading a post or two that made that regarding fixes between model 2 and 2.5.  But I could be wrong.  Generally, I pass on anything that has iffy issues.  Sometimes it is my loss, sometimes not.

I think Bearcarver has a thread in here somewhere explaining the differences in all the MES units.

I'm pretty sure he is not to happy with the Gen 2 models either.

I'm sure he will see this & give you the link to that thread.

Al

We all learn our lessons sooner or later.  Now I have learned mine. I'll keep the MES around for small batches of cold smoking (Cheese) for awhile.

Building my own multi fuel smoker. Heavy duty, Allen Bradley industrial temp controller, Stainless steel grates and a stainless steel tank that was used for food prepping. I have been researching many sites for ideas.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky