masterbuilt cold smoker kit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

julliette

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
South Dakota
hello,

anyone on here that is familiar with the mes cold smoker?????  I am trying to attach my mes cold smoker kit on to my mes unit with dryer venting or stove pipe,  not sure how to do this or what i would need to do this, anyone here that has done this and willing tell me how to do it and how well it works???? could use some suggestion,

Thank you  Jullie

Why are you using dryer venting?

It should attach right up to your MES

A length of pipe is going to cool the smoke, and cause condensation.  The condensation will pool up in the pipe, and if there's a hole, will leak out

reason for not attaching directly to unit is... the rod and hook system they provide is a pain in the kester, if you move it you have to remove attachment,  also would like to figure out away to have complete cold smoking for cheese. I have seen pictures of it with a pipe extention, but no instructions on how or what they actually used.

so just asking if anyone has done it  and how well it worked out.

If it's not too late...I would Return it and get the AMNPS Pellet Smoke Generator from Todd at... http://www.amazenproducts.com ...

It's simple to use, cheaper and will work in the MES Cold, Hot or anywhere between for up to 10 hours. I guarantee Mr. Johnson's Customer Service is better...Hell, " HE " is helping you with Masterbuilt's Box!...Did Macy help Bloomingdale's Customers? What did Masterbuilt tell you to do?...JJ

Reactions: stjoeguy1122
yes I have notice that you have to shake/bang on side of it once in a while to tap down chips.  what are you using? 3" pipe?  can you tell me how you modified it to fit in smoker???

thanks

Thanks for the advise, may just have to get me a AMNPS.  I have used the mes cold smoke with jerky, it did the job really well, temp stayed about 104 degrees, but for cheese it got to be colder than that or will it make cheese sauce. LOL. I am new at this smoking things, am having a ball trying out differents ways and recipes for smoking.

I bought a 3 inch pipe @ Lowes it fit right in the chip loader hole on the smoker and flaired the other end a little and wedged it on the smoke unit

Thank you, that is what I want to know. this will help me out. do you have much problem with condensation?

Thanks for the advise, may just have to get me a AMNPS.  I have used the mes cold smoke with jerky, it did the job really well, temp stayed about 104 degrees, but for cheese it got to be colder than that or will it make cheese sauce. LOL. I am new at this smoking things, am having a ball trying out differents ways and recipes for smoking.
Julliette, If great Cheese is your goal you may wish to pick up some Q-MATZ with the AMNPS. My Bud Dave did some great testing with Cheese and proved that even if the temps get away from you, you can get a good result. I ran a Hot Test with Chinese Spare Ribs, Sticky, Burnt Sauce and nothing stuck! A great tool to save some aggravation...JJ

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/136032/amazen-matz-not-so-cold-smoke-cheese-test

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...ed-rice-and-pork-egg-rolls-q-matz-tested-hard

this is what the cold smoker looks like, inside is a chimney to put wood chips in, it hooks to unit with a rod that has a hook on one end and a wing nut on the other end. insert hook end into mes, hook on inside rim and tighten with wing nut inside cold smoke box.  cold smoker works great, just a real pain getting it attached every time I want to use it.  Since you can use it for hot smoke, it would be nice to just leave it attached. since i move from garage to deck each time  i use it, I have to take off smoke box and reattach it every time.

ok JJ sold me on the Q-MATZ, just went to the site and order me about 4' of it, did not order the AMNPS  ( yet) will play around with my mes cold smoker a little more and see what i come up with. Thanks for  help.

Jullie J (JJ)

Great Choice...And one JJ to another...Welcome to the the SMF Family....JJ

Thank you, that is what I want to know. this will help me out. do you have much problem with condensation?
It depends on the temps and wind. The few times I have used it the temps have not been cold so no condensation. I like the ease of the masterbuild cold smoker for shorter smoke times, no prep time like with the AMNPS but it will not smoke as long. For the long overnight smokes I use the AMNPS and it works great once I get it going properly.

Had to smile at a few of JJ's comments..   Trust me!   He knows his smoking.   I ordered the Q-Matz for my son's smoke and enough for myself about four weeks ago.   Once I saw the posting from JJ, I knew I had to have that stuff .  It sure beats the frog mat.  Also have the AMNPS trays for both smokers.   I did some great cheese when it was -18 below.   Heated the smoker to 100 degrees, let it cool down a little and the AMNPS did the rest.   When I order the AMNPS, Todd sent along two bags of pellets so it was a Win -Win for me...     I just put some sausage in my smoker and the AMNPS is the only way to go with the light blue smoke for sevral hours.        
ok JJ sold me on the Q-MATZ, just went to the site and order me about 4' of it, did not order the AMNPS  ( yet) will play around with my mes cold smoker a little more and see what i come up with. Thanks for  help.

Jullie J (JJ)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky