Masterbuilt 40" Electric smoker with remote $239.99 (1 day only )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a 40" 2.5 gen. Works fine with the only weak spot being the temp prob. I think it's because it's holstered in a metal bracket that shorts out the prob. I have a Weber dual prob that states in the instructions to avoid contact with metal when in use to avoid shorting it out. I drilled a hole in a chunk of wood that it rests in, so far no more issues.
I never bother with the MES built in meat probe.

Now easy way to check it for accuracy anyway. I just leave it in the sheath, and use my Mavericks.

Bear

That's what I was doing when I got a code that indicated a problem with the prob. I have a hang up concerning things that don't work, that code would drive me nuts if I didn't fix it even if I never use it.

That's what I was doing when I got a code that indicated a problem with the prob. I have a hang up concerning things that don't work, that code would drive me nuts if I didn't fix it even if I never use it.
There must be something wrong with yours. Mine stays in that sheath all the time & I never get any messages.

That would bother me too if I got that message.

Bear

When it craped out on me I instatly remembered what I read about metal shorting out probes. To be safe I replaced the faulty prob and holstered it in a block of wood. Question: does your wifi have any range to speak of?

When it craped out on me I instatly remembered what I read about metal shorting out probes. To be safe I replaced the faulty prob and holstered it in a block of wood. Question: does your wifi have any range to speak of?
ROFLMAO! I thought that said, "Question: does your wife have any range to speak of?" I am thinking.... she's got all the range she needs to keep his young butt inline! LOL!!

Yah! Mine to, I thought I had hit the wrong letter on this phone as I often do lol then I have been known to miss spell words. but seriously I am wondering why the wi fi connection on my Masterbuilt is so short? my patio is right off the lower family room, it works fine there, but if go up to the main level family room, or to the front or the house it disconnects. I'm trying to get a comparison from others. I think it should have more range. Oh and thanks to you I made the best gumbo ever the reux was supper dark, I went with chicken, sausage and okra. Thanks

Funny you should ask----My wife (Foamy's reading problem) should have more range soon, as she is at Physical Therapy right now for her back & left leg.
wife.gif

As for my "Wifi", I don't have one. I'm just using the controls on the smoker for now. My Son said he might have an old phone he can hook up for me, but I'm in no hurry, because I can monitor it with my Mavericks, and if I have to change a setting, I go out often to check the smoke anyway.

I have heard that is the only thing some are not happy with about the #2.5 BT, but some say it works pretty good.

I know the range on my Gen #1 remote had much better range than my Mavericks have

Bear.

it sit in that holster for storage. It's the meat probe not the smoker temp probe. So to use it as s smoker probe you'd have to move it and put it through a cork or as you did, a chunk of wood.

That's funny I better watch how and where I use that word[emoji]128527[/emoji]
Your not missing much, by not having a smart phone, the wi fi like I said has a very short range I thought it would be like my home heating system that I can monitor and adjust from anywhere on my phone, or like my truck and my car that I can start, lock unlock and locate from anywhere on my phone. But no the range at best is about 25 feet.My Weber probes have a range of better then 300 feet.

Hi Eral!
I don't use the smoker prob to masure smoker heat I don't use it period because I have Weber probes that are more acetate with a 300 foot range. I stick Weber probes in my large cuts of meat, like bresket and butts and smoke them on my WSM then transfer them to the Masterbuilt for continued regulated heat that I can walk away from. Works like a champ. The only reason I plug te smoker prob into a funk of wood is to avoid a possible short that would cause an anoying error code again.

Question: does your wifi have any range to speak of?

The MES uses bluetooth which is different than wifi. Bluetooth range is usually less than 30 feet.

Maverick probes use wireless like a cordless phone or garage door opener. Range on this is more like 300 ft.

I have an older tablet running Android (ICS) and the masterbuilt app is not compatible and won't even let me install. I use my new android cell phone, but it fails to connect as often as it works. I am glad I went ahead and bought maverick probes.

If I was Masterbuilt I would have chosen wifi over bluetooth. It opens up a lot more possibilities of operating remotely in addition to extended range in the home. My $.02.

Last edited:
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky