Masterbuilt 30 inch digital smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ace will have a 30" MES #20071814 on Black Friday for $129.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=68307136&cp=2568443.2568445.2598559.1260385

I'm looking to replace my Masterbuilt 30" propane smoker with an electric one and thought this could maybe fit the bill. Until I read stuff about the different generations and what nots.

Have yet to see this model # to come up anywhere. Any comments from the ones in the know?
That one in your link is an MES 30 Gen#1.

Excellent Smoker!!!

I started out with one just like that, but I needed a 40" a year later.

Bear

Bear are you saying no to the price or no to the gen2? The black friday price on that unit is $200 which is a really good price for a 40". 
Definitely the price, however I personally wouldn't give $100 for the Gen #2.

Ouch Bear. You hit me right where it hurts. Maybe I should start a gen2 support group 
th_crybaby2.gif

Ouch Bear. You hit me right where it hurts. Maybe I should start a gen2 support group 
th_crybaby2.gif
I've seen some guys get good use out of the Gen #2 (including you, I believe).

However the odds are just too high "against" from my experience & the large percentage of ones I've read about. 

I Recommend Gen #1 (All of them), and so far Gen #2.5.

Bear

That one in your link is an MES 30 Gen#1.

Excellent Smoker!!!

I started out with one just like that, but I needed a 40" a year later.

Bear
So it is indeed a Gen 1 even though the part number is not 20070910? Ace also has 20070910 with the square control panel, but that is priced at $229 and I'm not going to pay that much for a 30-incher. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3931663

This is pretty much the only thing I've found about the 20071814 other than Ace's website. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/159828/hello-im-steve-and-i-know-nothing-about-smoking
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

I've been eyeing also 40-inchers, but even though bigger is always better 
biggrin.gif
I really don't need bigger. I've had the 30" propane for a few years and it's always been enough.

I'm sure either one will be fine, as long as it is Masterbuilt, and can't go too wrong with 130 buck, but still wanted to know what that particular one is about. Maybe I'll go in and take a look at it already today... Could even buy it already for $149 with $20 mail-in-rebate. On BF it is straight $129 without any rebate hassle.

Last edited:
I haven't posted here in a long time, just wasting time today. 

I don't know if masterbuilt improved the technology but for the years that I've had the machines, I've always found them to be ineffective.  Sometime it worked, sometime it didn't.  I had so many problems with the unit, that masterbuilt sent me a free replacement.  For the past couple of years, both are sitting in my backyard.  The problems that I remember were: (i) They unit kept displaying error codes.  (ii) It would give off false temperature readings when I used my ET-732.  (iii) Several times, it would shut off in the middle of a cook. Basically, the masterbuilt is just an outdoors electric oven.

Yes, masterbuilt has great customer service because they're fully aware that there are issues with their machines. 

I now only use them for simple things, grilling corn, smoking cheese, etc. 

So it is indeed a Gen 1 even though the part number is not 20070910? Ace also has 20070910 with the square control panel, but that is priced at $229 and I'm not going to pay that much for a 30-incher. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3931663

This is pretty much the only thing I've found about the 20071814 other than Ace's website. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/159828/hello-im-steve-and-i-know-nothing-about-smoking
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

I've been eyeing also 40-inchers, but even though bigger is always better 
biggrin.gif
I really don't need bigger. I've had the 30" propane for a few years and it's always been enough.

I'm sure either one will be fine, as long as it is Masterbuilt, and can't go too wrong with 130 buck, but still wanted to know what that particular one is about. Maybe I'll go in and take a look at it already today... Could even buy it already for $149 with $20 mail-in-rebate. On BF it is straight $129 without any rebate hassle.
The Gen #1 is generally a real good smoker, whether it has the control box with the squared corners, or the one with the rounded over corners. They're both good smokers. I don't pay attention to the serial numbers any more. If somebody asked what the model number of my new one is, I'd have to go out, remove the cover, and read it off the back.

Since you already had a 30", and liked it, you should be fine with the MES 30. I figured it would be OK for me, because there's only two of us, but then I got tired of cutting Rib racks in half, and a few other things. Plus I was not happy when I made a 10 pound batch of unstuffed Beef Sticks & I could only squeeze 7 pounds in.

I paid $169 for my first one---The MES 30 with the square box---And that was 6 years ago!

Bear

Ace will have a 30" MES #20071814 on Black Friday for $129.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=68307136&cp=2568443.2568445.2598559.1260385

I'm looking to replace my Masterbuilt 30" propane smoker with an electric one and thought this could maybe fit the bill. Until I read stuff about the different generations and what nots.

Have yet to see this model # to come up anywhere. Any comments from the ones in the know?
This electric smoker is the best you're ever going to see for $129. I paid $189 three years ago for mine. The only difference is my MES 30 Gen 1 has the rectangular-shaped top controller. It's a great little smoker. It my opinion, it will fit the bill. The pork ribs and briskets I've made in my smoker have garnered raves from friends and family. It's amazing how such high quality Q can come out of that little black box.

Thanks Bearcarver and daRicksta! Probably going to get one as I also think the price is pretty damn good. I think I paid 170 something for my propane one a few years ago. Not going to get rid of the old one, so if the electric one doesn't work, I can always go back to propane.

th_crybaby2.gif
If MB got rid of the slant tray and small water pan of the Gen 2.0 and used the Gen 1 oval pan or Gen 2.5 oval pan, wouldn't that be a Gen 2.5 with rf remote?  I'm asking because my Gen1 40 inch water pan can rest on any level and with the rack on top of it.  Bear, I believe you have a Gen1 30 and 40 and the latest 40 2.5 BT.   Are the 40 inchers capable of holding the oval water pans from the other model on any level?  If all models of the MES 40 are the same width, the Gen 2.5 oval pan should fit the Gen 2.0.  Maybe the regular flat bottom Gen 1 oval pan fits the Gen 2.0 bottom level.  If not, then the next level up!?  Bear got MB to move the hinge to the left side and the side vent to the top left.  You can't stop now!  LOL  Long story short.  Can Gen 2.0 owners buy an oval pan to be a Gen 2.5 with 100 ft+ range rf remote instead of 30 ft. BT range?

-Kurt    

Long story short.  Can Gen 2.0 owners buy an oval pan to be a Gen 2.5 with 100 ft+ range rf remote instead of 30 ft. BT range?

-Kurt    
I don't know if it would be that simple to swap the pans out. The inside of each generation is drastically different from the others. At the end of the day the Gen2 works fine it is just not the preferred model. 

I don't know if it would be that simple to swap the pans out. The inside of each generation is drastically different from the others. At the end of the day the Gen2 works fine it is just not the preferred model. 
I no longer put my oval water pan on the bent wires it was designed to hang from (right on top of the heating element.)  I bring it up and hang it from the second from the bottom level and still use all top three racks.   The rack holders on the side wall aren't centered so the oval pan is much closer to the door when hanging in it's intended location off the bottom bent wires, allowing more heat to go up the back wall.  I can center the oval water pan on any straight wire holders for the racks.  Just another level so the heat has to work it's way around more evenly.  I think sensor locations are different  from generation to generation.  My buddy has an unseasoned  two year old 30 inch Mes Gen 2.   I helped him set it up.  I'm thinking if the slant tray and small water pan assembly came out and putting MB's 30 inch Gen 1 flat bottom oval pan on the second from the bottom rack (not even hanging, if it couldn't, would be better for those that don't like the gen 2.0 heat distribution issue.)  I think it would then be a preferred or acceptable model compared to the Gen 2.5 with the top left vent.  It's got to be pretty close to the Gen 2.5.  I guess a call to MB would solve the oval pan fitting in all generation models.

-Kurt

If MB got rid of the slant tray and small water pan of the Gen 2.0 and used the Gen 1 oval pan or Gen 2.5 oval pan, wouldn't that be a Gen 2.5 with rf remote?  I'm asking because my Gen1 40 inch water pan can rest on any level and with the rack on top of it.  Bear, I believe you have a Gen1 30 and 40 and the latest 40 2.5 BT.   Are the 40 inchers capable of holding the oval water pans from the other model on any level? I never checked, but it might need a change in the wire hangers on the sides, unless you just lay the Pan on the lowest rack.

If all models of the MES 40 are the same width, the Gen 2.5 oval pan should fit the Gen 2.0.  They are all the same width, because all racks fit in all MES 40s.

Maybe the regular flat bottom Gen 1 oval pan fits the Gen 2.0 bottom level.  If not, then the next level up!?  Bear got MB to move the hinge to the left side and the side vent to the top left.  You can't stop now!  LOL  Long story short.  Can Gen 2.0 owners buy an oval pan to be a Gen 2.5 with 100 ft+ range rf remote instead of 30 ft. BT range? I would think if you bought a Gen #1 Water Pan, if it didn't fit in the wire holders of the Gen #2, you could just set it on the bottom rack, and pull the slanted drip plate out completely. That was one of the suggestions I gave them. I said to lose the goofy slanted plate & put the same guts in as is in the Gen #1. And move the top vent from the side wall to the back left corner of the top (which they did).

-Kurt    
Bear

I would think if you bought a Gen #1 Water Pan, if it didn't fit in the wire holders of the Gen #2, you could just set it on the bottom rack, and pull the slanted drip plate out completely. That was one of the suggestions I gave them. I said to lose the goofy slanted plate & put the same guts in as is in the Gen #1. And move the top vent from the side wall to the back left corner of the top (which they did).
Yes!  This is what I just posted a few minutes ago before I got your notification above.  I'm confident the oval water pan of the Gen 1 or 2.5 will hang at any level in the Gen 2.  I guess a call to MB would solve this.  Voila!  A Gen 2.5 with RF remote.

-Kurt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky