Masterbuilt 30 inch digital smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redrocker65200

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
South San Francisco, ca
My local Lowe's has it on sale for 155.00. The item number on the box is 0673791. Is this a decent deal for a brand new guy trying to get into smoking meat? Is this the one that has all the problems with the heating element? Any input would be awesome.

The Model # 20070915 looks like it may be a Lowes only model. The " 15 " at the end means it was released this year and should be the redesigned unit which should be fine. Model #'s ending in 12 had issues. That looks like a good price. It is $199 in my local NJ Lowes...JJ

Thanks JJ. My brother just made some ribs that were a bit fatty and my wife hated them. Not sure a smoker is in my future now. Lol.

That's not the fault of the smoker... fat is flavor.... after smoking the ribs can be finished cooking in the oven .... I do that very often.....

Reactions: stayhot
That's not the fault of the smoker... fat is flavor.... after smoking the ribs can be finished cooking in the oven .... I do that very often.....
That's not the fault of the smoker... fat is flavor.... after smoking the ribs can be finished cooking in the oven .... I do that

Sorry, I think I may have not wrote that very well. The ribs were very fatty and he used a wet rub. So that made them very wet. I have a buddy that smoked ribs and they were dry and very tasty. I think if I can get to a more dry finish I might be able to sell it. Lol

My local Lowe's has it on sale for 155.00. The item number on the box is 0673791. Is this a decent deal for a brand new guy trying to get into smoking meat? Is this the one that has all the problems with the heating element? Any input would be awesome.
This is a  slightly improved version of the original problem-plagued MES Gen 2. It's slightly bigger and has the vent back on the top (left) instead of on the side--which was a big improvement.

Don't know much else about it. I'd look for a MES 30 Gen 1 (which is what I own) if you can find one locally or online near that price. The Gen 2.5 models--Bluetooth and non--are looking really good but are much more expensive.

[quote name="redrocker65200" url="/t/236711/masterbuilt-30-inch-digital-smoker#post_1478203

This is the Gen 1 ..... Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Top Controller[/quote]

Cool. So this is the better one of the two as far as performance and reliability[/quote]

Some of the models have problems... I can't remember for sure... The gen 2 was a PITA... The Gen 2.5 seemed to work OK... I really haven't kept up on how all the different models fare as far as reliability....

It's best that others tell of their experiences... I have the gen 1 and have modified it severely.... It works very well but is sometimes too small for what I want to do.....

Last edited:
[/B]
Some of the models have problems... I can't remember for sure... The gen 2 was a PITA... The Gen 2.5 seemed to work OK... I really haven't kept up on how all the different models fare as far as reliability....

It's best that others tell of their experiences... I have the gen 1 and have modified it severely.... It works very well but is sometimes too small for what I want to do.....

Ok. Thanks for the info. Just getting into this because my bro and bro in law have thrown out so.e quality grub with their smokers but have paid a lot more

Cool. So this is the better one of the two as far as performance and reliability
I bought mine off Amazon 3+ years ago for $189. Two months ago saw a Gen 1 with the redesigned top controller on sale at Tractor Supply Co. for $169. If I was in the market for a new Gen 1 I would've jumped on that deal since there's a TSC in town.

I think the original is the dome shaped and the updated is the slanted one. you have it backwards.​

I don't think so. All the gen 1 I see for sale have the slanted controller. The only place I see the oval buttons on is on masterbuilt site.

Hi Gen 1 models all have the door hinges on the right. All others are on the left. The MES 20070910 is the Gen 1 30 'to own if you want a good introductory smoker. It is normally found from 160 ---!80.00 dollars it is not large and you won't be feeding large groups with it but it works very good. Just remember a nice large smoker with lots of volum is twice to 3 times as expensive. Do you want all the bells and whistles or do you want a good all around smoker that has it's space limitations to learn on. IT'S up to you.  Jted

Last edited:
Hi Gen 1 models all have the door hinges on the right. All others are on the left. The MES 20070910 is the Gen 1 30 'to own if you want a good introductory smoker. It is normally found from 160 ---!80.00 dollars it is not large and you won't be feeding large groups with it but it works very good. Just remember a nice large smoker with lots of volum is twice to 3 times as expensive. Do you want all the bells and whistles or do you want a good all around smoker that has it's space limitations to learn on. IT'S up to you.  Jted

Just looking to get something to start to learn on. Most of the time it will be me, my son, my daughter and my wife. So something inexpensive and easy to use is key.

Thanks for the info. Seems like the Amazon one is the way to go.

Thanks JJ. My brother just made some ribs that were a bit fatty and my wife hated them. Not sure a smoker is in my future now. Lol.
Redrocker, It's hard to critique someones food from the Internet. and I would not do that . There are a lot of variables. The 20070910 will cook ribs very easily. Using the  3-2-1 method one is all but guaranteed great ribs the first time.. Do some research on the AMNPS smoke generator. After your first smoke with chips you will know why 8 out of 10 use the AMNPS and pellets. Just food for thought.

If you have more questions just ask.  Jted

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky