Maple Coffee Dry Aged Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ddrian

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 13, 2017
My First Step by Step
Coffee Maple flavor Bacon Dry Aged
This recipe was inspired by my son who is a chef at the Hilton hotel in Columbus Ohio. He said they had a House dry rub that they use on their in house bacon that they make for the menu. He could not let me know the recipe, so I looked around, and decided to try one of my own.
A shout out to Dave Omak also. I believe he said it was from another recipe. So speak up if I need to pay homage! He posted a DRY AGED BACON post that was a memory I cherish from my childhood at my grandmother's house in Southern Ohio. GM and GP cured all of their own meat, canned, gardened, along with GP being a trapper by trade so we ate some cool stuff that city kids didn't eat often!! They were Pennsylvania Dutch so it was part of our heritage.
The total of the meat was very close to 11 pounds. Six of it was Pork Loin and three of each were Beef chuck roast, and Pork shoulder roast.
Rub
I rounded to 5000 grams for this session.
I always waste a little here and there.
Base Cure Approx
Salt 1.5 percent 66 Grams Kosher Salt
Sugar 1.5 percent 75 grams Brown Sugar
Cure #1 120 ppm 10 grams Rounded up
Spices
Dark roast coffee 25 grams
Garlic Granules 10 Grams
Mace ground 10 Grams
Fenugreek Seeds 10 Grams Ground
Nutmeg 10 Grams
Cayenne 10 Grams. To taste
2 cups extra dark #1 maple syrup cold (Sub Maple Sugar)
MIX all cure ingredients thoroughly accept Maple Syrup.

1. Cut the meat in 1-1.5 pound strips that accommodate good slicing at the end of the process.
2. In a pan large enough to dip the meat pour in the Syrup.
3. Roll the meat in the syrup one pc. at a time and then add the rub to cover. The syrup is used like glue.
4. Put on a holding rack and finish the rest of the meat.
5. Vac-pack the meat. The setting on the chamber were set to 40 seconds - very hard draw. I feel that open air dry rub, or glad bags will work for this process.
6. Store in fridge on racks for 7 days - optionally turn and massage the meat. I don't know if it is necessary in a vac bag. It is in a glad bag.
7. After 7 days cut the bags open, wash in cold water.
8. Samples were cut from each kind of meat to verify flavor and salt
density. I let the BOSS (you know who that is) "THE BOSS" taste each
meat in a blind taste test. The last batch of bacon we made pork shoulder. It was her favorite. She picked it out of a blind taste test again so.... more pork shoulder .....less loin!!!
It is amazing that they were all acceptable this time. YES! The salt was right, and the flavor of the meat and spices were balanced.
9. The meat was put on racks with a tray under them after drying, to allow the meat to dry (age) for 7 days.
10. I will Cold smoke the meat for 4-6 hours a day for 7 days to build flavor - putting the meat back in the fridge in-between smokes.
11. Back in the fridge for on a open rack for 14 days to age and let the smoke permeate the meat for excellence flavor.

Ill post the pictures after the week of dry aging and them as I smoke them.
I want to thanks Dave Omak for showing me the dry aging cure link, and others here for there advice.
I thought that coffee would work well in a bacon recipe. Adding maple and other spices really made a huge difference. The pre cut samples were delicious.
In the cure vac bags
Pork loin
Beef chuck roast
Pork shoulder roast
Samples GUESS WHICH IS WHICH!
Samples all done and ready for THE BOSS
On the rack in the fridge for 7 more days
I'll report more as it developes!!
DDR

Last edited:
[thread="265043"]​[/thread]
Code:

Sounds Good DDR !! 
icon14.gif

Don't know if I'd like the coffee part---Lost my taste for coffee Nov 8, 2012, and it never came back.

Be back for money shots.

popcorn.gif

Bear

Added the Maple Sugar .. back in the fridge for another 7 days.
Bear
The coffee surprised me. It is not the prevelant flavor! I thought it would be strange when my son told me about it, but it's good!!

Added the Maple Sugar .. back in the fridge for another 7 days.
Bear
The coffee surprised me. It is not the prevelant flavor! I thought it would be strange when my son told me about it, but it's good!!
I drank black coffee from age 15 until my open-heart fiasco.

Then everything thing I ate or drank tasted terrible for over 7 months, at which time everything began to taste like it used to, except coffee still tastes terrible to me. Even coffee ice cream!!

Now Mrs Bear quit drinking coffee too, because she didn't want to drink it alone.

Bear

UPDATE::
These are pictures of the Bacon after one week of drying before smoking. The maple sugar has disappeared and the meat has become translucent.

After a week in the fridge the bacon has become translucent, and the maple sugar has disappeared into the meat!

Test before smoking!! Had to do it! The Boss said it was great!

After smoking at less that 100 degrees twice for 8 hrs with Apple wood. Now mahogany color.

Back in the fridge for a week to let the smoke melt into the meat and finish up the final flavor.

I'll post the fry and taste test later.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky