Maple Bourbon Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I tried the recipe today.  The ham looked great, it was also tender and moist.  Butttttttt it had way to salty flavor.  I used a smoked shank portion.  Do not remember the brand.  Suggestions?  I served the ham at an office.  Four of the ladies said it had too much smoke flavor.   I am about to order twenty to do for Easter gifts.  Any suggestions?

Yep, of all the things I've smoked, this will be my first ham. I've got a 12-pound, Cook's label, Shank Bone ham. Says it's smoked but I know it will be when I'm done with it. Going to make this for Christmas dinner along with some smoked beans with maybe just a bit of JD, molasses, and other seasonings in 'em for flavor to pair up with the ham. Nothing fancy about my smoker at all! It's a really old Brinkmann square upright, charcoal smoker. It's a little hard to keep temps steady sometimes but I make it work okay. Don't like the way you can't adjust the shelves, so I'm going to have to put the ham lower than the beans, with a bowl of apple juice directly below, and the charcoal directly on the bottom floor. I usually put sand in the bowl to help maintain heat, so we'll see what happens when it's just liquid. Merry Christmas all! We'll be back with QView of course!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky