Maple Bourbon Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I smoked it on its side the entire time. It was on about 6 hours total with temp varying between 200 and 220, the low end mostly because of recovery time following mopping.

I just followed the method in the original post above. It appeared that he had his laying on the side so I did that also.

I just looked up the page here and I see that he had the ingredients list on second page of posts. When I saw it, iI only saw the ingredients, no quantity so I went with equal amounts of everything. And my chef buddy Kevin was right. I see that I overdid the salt and onion powder. Now, me not having an experienced pallet, it tasted just fine to me!

I also did not do the glaze. Not sure if that was in the original post. I also substituted olive oil for veggie oil. Not sure if that really makes a difference, but I use olive oil for just about everything that calls for oil.

This ham was about 6 pounds if I remember correctly. Friend of mine picked it up at Kroger on sale last week and it was a whopping $9.52! Looked at Publix  a couple days ago and it was almost $20! If some of the ice melts off the roads, I will venture to Kroger to see if they are still on sale.

Oh and leftovers went into a big pot of beans!

This was done on my Royal Oak Electric (looks similar to an MES but has rheostat control). Purchased display model at Walmart for $100. I am happy with this smoker but may watch for MES at Bass during their big sale. Talked to a guy that got one for $130 last year during their Bass Spectacular event..

randy

Last edited:
Picked up a ham yesterday, will be getting it all prepped and in the fridge today for a smoke on sat.  I can hardly wait. 

I have to hurry up and do the prep work before Mossy gets home and sees what I stole out of his stash! LOL  

The Maple Bourbon Ham looks Great and Looks like something worth trying...

OK... no bourbon in the house...

I have everything else I swear but bourbon ...  what would you use?  

Captain Morgan

Windsor

Grande Canadian (really cheap whiskey)

Crown Royal

Bushmills 1608 Irish Whiskey (I have no idea what this stuff is..)

Thanks,
Tanya

Doing another ham for football sunday!

Going to try the recommended blend of ingredients this time. Last time I did equal amounts of ingredients since I only saw the list of ingredients and not the recipe.

And the Bourbon I am using was about the cheapest I could find, Evan Williams

Go GreenBay! Go Jets! Since my Falcons died last week, got to go with Packers and always go against the Steelers!

Pand. - correct it was precooked. It was very moist. I think leaving the fat on helps this as does the mop. It may be the "water added" that is pumped into these things as well. Maybe those with more experience can comment on that.

I don't cook them to a specific internal temp, since it is already cooked, Just enough to get good smoke flavor all the way through. BTW - this was probably a 6-7 lb ham.

SOB - I'll get you ingredient lists tomorrow. I was hesitant to include this since this reciepe was from a copyrighted cookbook, but have since been told that ingredient lists are OK.
I know I am resurrecting a very old post but is this ingredient list available from anyone for the rub/sauce?? 

[h3]No problem. Here is the recipe for the paste, mop, and glaze. Try it, you won't be disappointed. It is still my go to ham recipe.[/h3][h3]  [/h3][h3]Ingredient List for Maple Bourbon Ham[/h3]
A lot of you have asked for ingredient list details, so here they are.

First - credit where credit is due. This is from "Smoke and Spice" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison, 2003 edition. This is a really great book and we cook a lot from it. I would urge you to get Santa to bring you one, if you don't have it.

Maple Bourbon Paste
2 tbs Pure Maple Syrup
2 Tbs freshly grated Black Pepper
2 Tbs Dijon Multatd or Honey Dijon (I use Dijon)
1 Tbs Bourbon
1 Tbs Veg Oil
1 Tbs Parprika
1 Tbs Onion Powder
2 Tsp Coarse Salt - Kosher or Sea Salt

I thought the ham I did earlier this week was a bit salty on the outside - just realized I added 2 Tbs Salt, not 2 Tsp!!! Oops,,,
icon_mad.gif

Per my presentation, do the rub the night before

Maple Bourbon Mop
1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
1/4 cup Bourbon
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 Tbs Veg Oil
2 Tsp Dijon Mustard

I start mopping after about an hour in the smoker.

Maple Bourbon Glaze
3/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
1/4 cup Bourbon
3 Tbs Dijon
2 Tbs Unsalted Butter

You brush this on the ham a couple of times in the last hour the ham is on the smoker. Personallly, I don't bother. I think it is great with just the rub and mop on it.

Let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy!

And thanks for the compliments on the slides....I like to do these. Will keep it

Reactions: noboundaries
Thanks for the recipe. First time trying, Got a 10# fresh ham all rubbed up. With Gentlemen Jack, and to top it off some Jack Daniels wood chips soakin. Ill be sure to get some Q-view. 

No bourbon in the house, but I think some single malt scotch might just serve as a stand in. We will give this approach a try on Friday, with some freshly chipped cherry wood left from last winter's ice storm. Thanks for the presentation!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky