Maple Bourbon Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

john3198

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 2, 2009
Houston, TX
Ok, folks. Here is my first attempt a qview, so hope it works......

Last night we did a Mable Bourbon Ham. The recipe is from "Smoke and Spice" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison. I have been making this for a few years now, so thought I would share it with you folks.

You start with your basic grocery store precooked ham. The rest is majic.

The best thing about this ham was that a couple of friends of mine called right after I took it off the smoker and asked if they could stop by to watch the rest of Monday Night Football last night.

Were they suprised when I laid a couple of plates of this baby on them for game snacks!!!

Also - this smoke was a test of my new Hasty Bake Legacy. This is basically a charcoal grill but claims to have smoking capability. Jeff will know these - they have been made in Tulsa for 60 years and have a kind of cult following there. My family has used them for 50 years.

Thier claim to fame, besides being built like a tank, is that the fire bed can be raised and lowered easily by an external crank to control the heat. Up for searing steaks, down for baking and with a heat deflector for smoking.

My benchmarks for smokers are an ECB which was replaced several years ago by an offset vertical Brinkman. I really liked it, but the box lid has rusted through amd the rest of the fire box is pretty sorry.

Other than not having the capacity of the vertical Brinkman, I think the Hasty Bake does a great smoke. Certinaly comparabile in flavor to the Brinkman and easier to controll the temps.

More later.......doing ABT's and Eggs (yeah eggs) tonight. Fatty tomorrrow I hope.

Make that a "Maple Bourbon Ham"!!!
icon_surprised.gif

That's a great looking ham! The rub sounds very good. Had to go look for a Hasty Bake. I've never heard of those before.
21003_285.jpg
41dLooVnIOL._SL500_.jpg

Interesting qview, how'd you do it like that? Looks like pages you scanned or something.

SCP - I think you can taste the Bourbon - especially when you get the outside bits. I try to do it like pulled pork and make sure everybody gets a bit of bark. Then if I can't taste the Bourbon, I always drink a little of it!
icon_smile.gif

Rivit nailed the slides - they are made with powerpoint and then each slide is saved as a jpg file (easy to do) which are then uploaded to photobucket. It just seemed a way to get more info out with fewer pictures. Besides, I've been doing engineering presentations for 30 years! Comes natural.

Nice ham John and also presentation.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Great looking ham and an excellent step by step tutorial...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Nice lookin ham you got there. I have seen that recipe a million times in the book.....and always wondered what it would be like. After seeing your pics....I might have to do that soon!

looks very tasty!...but Jack D is NOT bourbon...sorry, lol being from Kentucky I dislike Tennessee whiskey very much...jack D is very cheep made and over priced.

next time when cooking save your money(and expensive whiskey)and just use some VOB

Very nice ham and it looks really yummy too. Now I have never done a per-cooked ham but I am seeing more of them in here around the holidays for sure. I like your powerpoint too you have a nack with your prestentation.

Yep,
Technically, Bourbon Whiskey has to be from Kentucky.
JD is Tennessee Sipping Whiskey.

That being said, I like JD, but prefer Knob Creek if I can afford it.

That looks like a good recipe for a ham mop!! So that is a pre cooked ham right? And if so after 6 hours was it moist? I want to do a ham me likes some ham

I dont have a list per say of things to try, but I see this happening in my future. Nice.

Mrs SOB just brought the whole semi-boneless ham that her work gives to their employees home today. 12 pounds or so. Looks like I just found the recipe I will be using on it!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Oh and the bourbon will probably be Makers Mark since I won't make to Indiana before christmas to get me some OLD POGUE........MMMM Makes me all warm inside just saying the name!
icon_mrgreen.gif
If you like bourbon and you've never had OLD POGUE...you are missing out! SOOO SMOOTH!!! OOPS sorry I'm rambling about bourbon again!
Later SOB

Oh yeah ummm Did I miss something or were there no amounts for the ingredients for the recipe?

Pand. - correct it was precooked. It was very moist. I think leaving the fat on helps this as does the mop. It may be the "water added" that is pumped into these things as well. Maybe those with more experience can comment on that.

I don't cook them to a specific internal temp, since it is already cooked, Just enough to get good smoke flavor all the way through. BTW - this was probably a 6-7 lb ham.

SOB - I'll get you ingredient lists tomorrow. I was hesitant to include this since this reciepe was from a copyrighted cookbook, but have since been told that ingredient lists are OK.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky