Mango and pulled pork....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Don't be afraid to switch out the mango for guava!

I have some ghost pepper guava bbq sauce at home that a friend gave me... [emoji]128512[/emoji]

Ok.. so it is 1:00am Est.. yeah... i put the pork in the smoker...I couldnt NOT do it...it was calling me.. taunting me...it wanted out of the fridge and into a nice warm place... so being I am a nice person.......
after that.. I decided that what better time than now to make a spray... so i threw into a Dickeys BBQ cup the following...

1/2 C PLUS 1/3 c of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum... minus a sip or two.. had to taste it to make sure it was still good...

1/2 C PLUS 1/3 c Mango Nectar

1/2 C Apple Juice

1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar

stir it a around and dumped into a spray bottle.

I then took another glass and mixed all but the apple cider vinegar and came up with this...
Not too shabby.. a little sweet.. but drinkable..

Pork has been on about an hour or so... runnin between 238 and 241...

Well... We are 3 1/2 hours or so in... Smokin along at 230ish degrees... Internal temp is 134... Just opened to give a quick check and a few sprays with the capt. Morgan mango apple juice stuff...

hard to take a pic ... at night.. no flash... holding a flashlight.. trying to not let heat out...got the dual temp probie thing in it.. have the food prob set for 195* .. smoker set to alert me if temps hit 251* and if it drops to 221*.. I seem to be floating around 230* so.. I think the ol smoker is tuned in ... more to come.... OHHHHHH yeah.. I threw on a couple of small hunks of pork that I trimmed off while trimming the fat and skin off.. coated with Mustard and jeffs rub... O....M.....G .... that is NICE tastin I "think" it was cooked enough.. when I pulled it apart it was pretty easy to peel a hunk of the "spare meat" apart and shove in my pie hole.. yeah.. I am going to use this rub again..

I have to admit.. this smokin at night... I kinda dig it...clear sky ....a nice crisp 34* ....the internet.... SMF.... And
keepin me company....

Last edited:
ok... 8:30am..had dozed off on the sofa.. and my neck and back is killin me. looked over to the coffee table and found that my machine is still holding it together.... was a nice 228*. took a walk outside... to find  the meat sittin at a comfy
open the door to do a spray with the Capt. Morgan Mango Apple mix  and was greeted by this here view...

we are about 9 hours in...and I got nothin but time..and beer today...

Question though.. I was thinkin about putting it into a foil pan now and collect what ever drippings there may be now to help it "baste" itself and collect juices for the pullin so i can put them back into the finished product...also.. I still have the skin... I was going to lay it on top of this now... so it can render the fat down into the shoulder now that there is a good 9 hours of smoke...this will also give me some drippings to mix into it when pulling.....thoughts?

Last edited:

ok... 8:30am..had dozed off on the sofa.. and my neck and back is killin me. looked over to the coffee table and found that my machine is still holding it together.... was a nice 228*. took a walk outside... to find  the meat sittin at a comfy
open the door to do a spray with the Capt. Morgan Mango Apple mix  and was greeted by this here view...

we are about 9 hours in...and I got nothin but time..and beer today...

Question though.. I was thinkin about putting it into a foil pan now and collect what ever drippings there may be now to help it "baste" itself and collect juices for the pullin so i can put them back into the finished product...also.. I still have the skin... I was going to lay it on top of this now... so it can render the fat down into the shoulder now that there is a good 9 hours of smoke...this will also give me some drippings to mix into it when pulling.....thoughts?
If you can put the drip pan on a rack below you would be better off. I just don't like my pork swimming in fat. You want to save that stuff. It is so good.

Looks delicious! Like timberjet says-save those drippings, they'll add so much flavor and moisture to your PP later. Nice job posting-great pics and details. Thanks, David.

Ok.. it seems we are in the home stretch... internal temp is currently 189* at 237*

here is a pic with the skin cap back on

she is wrapped

and i suspect in another hour or so i can pull it and rest it!!!

I have my finishing sauce mixed up ready to go.. along with some kind of apple cinnamon sauce topping stuff that I found in one of the forums here at SMF.

More pics to come.. .I am one tired dude... but I think it will be worth it! 

Be careful to fully cook that pork skin. You just put raw pork onto cooked pork-need to make sure it's cooked thru. Do you have an intant read thrm?

guess what time it is?!?!? That's right... Time to rest... Gonna give it hour and half or so I think... That will put me at 5pm and the wife gets home at 5:30ish...gonna drop a couple potatoes in the smoker and put the heat up a notch with a couple hunks oh apple wood and let them sit until she gets home and ready to eat

Be careful to fully cook that pork skin. You just put raw pork onto cooked pork-need to make sure it's cooked thru. Do you have an intant read thrm?
OYE VEY.... I thought of that about 45 minutes ago...I tested it and it read 165*.. HOWEVER... just because I made such a stupid mistake...I removed the skin... and wrapped the pork back up... and put it back in the smoker.. going to stay there until it read 195* internal again....looks like dinner is gonna be a few minutes late..

can I be forgiven.. i blame lack of sleep.. and I know better than that...I am kinda mad at myself.

Better a late dinner than a sick wife! An hour or so in a hot smoker after you removed the skin should make it safe. Gotta be real careful with stuff like that. Looking good tho. Can't wait for the finish pics! I'll be watching, David.

Last edited:

OYE VEY.... I thought of that about 45 minutes ago...I tested it and it read 165*.. HOWEVER... just because I made such a stupid mistake...I removed the skin... and wrapped the pork back up... and put it back in the smoker.. going to stay there until it read 195* internal again....looks like dinner is gonna be a few minutes late..

can I be forgiven.. i blame lack of sleep.. and I know better than that...I am kinda mad at myself.
I don't know if 195 is something you read somewhere or not but I take mine to 205. It renders much more fat and breaks down more connective tissue. You really need to wrap and rest in a cooler. You don't want to cool it right away. It will stay hot for the 1 to 2 hour rest. Throw a towel in there too to take up airspace. When all that is done it will just fall to pieces for you. I also recommend defating the juices you hopefully saved and adding that back in. That is the good stuff.

I don't know if 195 is something you read somewhere or not but I take mine to 205. It renders much more fat and breaks down more connective tissue. You really need to wrap and rest in a cooler. You don't want to cool it right away. It will stay hot for the 1 to 2 hour rest. Throw a towel in there too to take up airspace. When all that is done it will just fall to pieces for you. I also recommend defating the juices you hopefully saved and adding that back in. That is the good stuff.
^^^THIS!^^^

Last edited:
Yes, like timberjet said, take it to 205 and let it rest wrapped in a cooler for at least an hour-makes a huge difference! A good smoked butt is a time commitment, You've invested this much time, don't cut it short in the end. More  pics please, we want to see this thru to the end, David.

well... it has been almost a week... My wife.. the neighbors and I are all still alive after that STUPID mistake...life has just gotten in the way of the internet for a few days... so here ya go...

This is obviously after I took the skin off... and "re-cooked" it. I only took it to internal of 195 again to "kill" any bad stuff that MIGHT have been left over.. I had it to I think 200-205 before wrapping in towel and putting in ice chest .. which shortly thereafter is when my head said " hey stupid... you do know that you put raw pork on perfectly good cooked pork.. you may wanna make sure it is done right"...

Here I just slid the bone out.. and yeah.. it literally fell out. I am not sure  but I think my Iphone camera is a little wonky with the colors because..I have no idea why it shows as greenish in some spots...

Jeffs rub makes DAMN good bark. even the thicker hunks.. i took my knife and diced them up real small and mixed em im

Mixed up... and again the colors seem off..

annnd the sammich... the topping is a spiced apple recipe I had found in here somewhere...it is rice vinegar paprika, cyan, white pepper,  3 fuji apples diced small anc cooked down a bit.. for a little nice slight crunch I added a 4th  diced apple near the end of the cook down so that it had a nice little crunch ...

And while I have your attention for a brief moment.. .I have a Maverick M ET-73. I am going to be doing two shoulders and probably a London Broil or brisket in about 2 weeks... My thought is I d like to have a probe in each hunk of meat.. so i am going to likely order the Maverick et733. my other thought is...logically I should be able to just stick the ambient probe into the Broil and it should read the temp like a meat probe... right? and then I can utilize the ambient probe on the second maverick to monitor the temp in the smoker which I will have somewhere around the middle of the smoker since I am going to be using 3 of the 4 racks... so here is what I hope to have... 1 meat probe in 1 shoulder.. another meat probe in the other shoulder... the ambient probe of one of the units in the broil or brisket and one ambient probe to keep an eye on the smoker temp...so I can see in real time what each piece of meat is doing at any given time... anyone do something like this before? i plan on using the 4th rack as a drip pan... putting a aluminum foil pan on it to catch the yummy juices from the pork and beef... then use that juice to mix into the pork... I will also be using the  water pan as.... well a water pan with likely apple juice and I am probably going to use the spray that I sprayed on the pictured pork shoulder.. because it was good... and make another batch of Jeffs rub for the shoulders... and likely put it on the beef as well.. ok. sooooo ready... GO!.. what are your thoughts?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky