Making smoked lox in the summer heat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

miamited

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Miami, FL.
I want to try my hand at both lox and nova. But since nova is cold smoked, do I have any other options in the 90+ heat we are getting in south Florida? How much difference will it make in the finished product if I hot smoke it? Or should I force myself to wait until November when it really cools down?

Thanks

How much difference will it make in the finished product if I hot smoke it?

Hot smoked salmon does not resemble cold smoked at all - the texture is completely different. Both good, but very different. But as Holly2015 stated, you might be able to get the temps down with ice.

Reactions: buzzy
Sorry, I should have said that I have a vertical smoker. No mods like the mailbox. I can do bags of ice, but will that be enough? I can freeze ziplock bags to make ice blocks.

Smoke at night with gallon jugs frozen, if your smoker isn't big enough use big cardboard boxes in the garage, don't forget to vent it.

Though not traditionally used, I recommend adding some Cure #1 to the mix. No major impact on flavor but protects against Listeria and CBotulinum that can occur at temps above 50°F. 1/4 teaspoon per pound is good...JJ

I agree with Richie, freeze a few water bottles or large soda bottles instead of using open ice. Less moisture in the smoker.

Chris

I live in Fl too, and my advice would be to just wait until this winter, then make enough to last for a year. It freezes very well. I slice mine up & vac pack it in 6 oz batches. Enough for one nice bagel.
I just ate my last batch last week & am waiting on the cooler weather too.
And as JJ said I would use cure #1 too. I have always done my lox with cure in it.
Just click on lox in my signature line for a step by step.
Al

Sorry I didn't get back sooner with the results. I passed on the smoker. I have to say I will never buy the stuff again. Even my neighbor the chef approved. I got the salmon at BJ's and cured with 50/50 salt and sugar. I used sugar in the raw as that is what I have. Two days and then several half hour rinses in ice water and the last with pink salt. Sliced and then vacuum Sealed.
DSCF1574.JPG DSCF1573.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF1577.JPG
    DSCF1577.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF1584.JPG
    DSCF1584.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF1585.JPG
    DSCF1585.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 7
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky