Mailbox Mod Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

>I could personally debunk about half of what that guy writes.

>Just because it is on the internet does not make it gospel. 

I can't argue with you there. But foiling seems to shorten the stall for me and many others, so it seems like evaporation is the real culprit. So if we can eliminate the stall and still end up with tender meat, then the stall itself is not "important". 
Whether not not the stall is important and if you foil or not is all personal preference. The end product when you foil is different than not foiled so it all comes down to what you are looking for (try two butts of similar shape and weight at the same time and foil one and you will see/taste the difference).

Last edited:

>I could personally debunk about half of what that guy writes.

>Just because it is on the internet does not make it gospel. 

I can't argue with you there. But foiling seems to shorten the stall for me and many others, so it seems like evaporation is the real culprit. So if we can eliminate the stall and still end up with tender meat, then the stall itself is not "important". 
Well we have one of the oldest smoking meat debates. To foil or not to foil. Few will argue that foiling shortens the stall. There are a number of pit master that believe in HOT & FAST smoking. Myron Mixon is the first that comes to mind. Then there is the other side the LOW & SLOW group. They whole heartily believe in there system. What ever one you use may produce good q My point being not every one does it the same. The joy of smoking meat is producing high quality meat. If you smoke your Butt at 300 degrees for 7 or 8 hours or if it takes 12 or more it is a personal choice. Mo matter what Meathead and the Dr. says The fat and collagen is rendered at the end of the smoke. in a 6 pound Boston butt there is very little fat to pull from the shredding pan,and most6 of that is from the fat cap. Just to admit I don't have the patients to truly smoke at a low 225 I use a set point of 242. Why you might ask. I hedge my bets between low and fast. My smoker likes 242, I also like a butt with hard bark. Once again a personal choice.

When you see a big smoker with a thousand pounds of meat in  it they can't foil all of it. Most don't remove the membrane off the back of ribs. These are techniques  available to backyard pit masters.

Now we could talk about HOT & FAST AND LOW & SLOW or TO STACK OR NOT TO STACK YOU ELECTRIC SMOKER. This is fun. Come on guys lighten up.  Jted

Last edited:
Someone along the way misinterpreted what I said. I didn't mean that everyone foiled and that's the only way to do it. I just mean that when you hit the stall the fastest way to get past it is to foil.

MurderMode,

I think all or most all  agree that foiling slows down the stall. You can replicate the foil by turning up the heat and power through the stall. I don't think everyone agrees that you don't need the stall. I know before I committed to that statement I would have to do a lot of testing. Jted

MurderMode,
I think all or most all  agree that foiling slows down the stall. You can replicate the foil by turning up the heat and power through the stall. I don't think everyone agrees that you don't need the stall. I know before I committed to that statement I would have to do a lot of testing. Jted

Ok well when I hit the stall I'm going to wrap my brisket in foil. I'm not sure why people keep commenting on this when we are all still just going to do it the way we want anyway.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky