Lox not smoked

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

graywolf1936

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Northern California
Would like to make Lox(not smoked). Receipt on web said I can take two pieces of salmon, salt and sugar, coat, press together, wrap tight, and let is "cure" in fridge for 5 days, rinse, slice and eat "raw". Any body do that ? Thanks

[h3]What You Need      This is what  the ingredients are, instruction were given I searched " how to make Lox"[/h3]
Ingredients
Fresh salmon (at least 1 pound, cut into two equal pieces)
1/4 cup brown sugar (per pound of fish)
2 tablespoons kosher salt (per pound of fish)
1 tablespoon smoked salt (per pound of fish)
1 tablespoon fresh cracked

Would like to make Lox(not smoked). Receipt on web said I can take two pieces of salmon, salt and sugar, coat, press together, wrap tight, and let is "cure" in fridge for 5 days, rinse, slice and eat "raw". Any body do that ? Thanks
Yup that's the traditional method for gravlax. You can go 48 hours, no real need for 5 days. I usual put cure#1 in as well since I usually cold smoke, but for plain lox it isn't necessary.

As boatbum said, that is for Gravlax.

They are wonderful.

By memory I use about equal amounts of brown sugar and kosher salt mixed.  Throw a few sprigs of dill on top. It is easier if the salmon is of equal thickness for consistency of result.

Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.

In a cake pan I put on a piece of wood and top that with a brick.

Into the fridge for about three days.

The time in the fridge you will experiment with to get them where you like them.

Rinse, slice thinly on the bias and enjoy what would have been a $25/pound treat!

I only slice what I plan to use and re-wrap the remainder for my next pig out.

Good luck and good smoking.

I'm getting ready to turn a few King Salmon tail pieces into cold smoked lox
banana_smiley.gif
.  Will follow my typical lox recipe, if I can remember where I put it, then if the weather is cool enough cold smoke it using apple wood chips or pellets.  If the weather is pretty warm, I will simply vacuum seal the lox and keep it in the fridge until the weather cools down but the way things are going around here, I'll smoke within 24 hours after I finish to lox recipe.

Once done, it get's vacuumed sealed and into the freezer it goes.  This gives me the ability to serve smoked lox year rounds to all my fishing buddies.

Probably just a wives tale, but yes.  The only meat smoked in both Big Chiefs have been fish (95% Salmon).   Today both the Big Chief boys did some Salmon Jerky for me.  Now they're resting back in the smoking shed until next weekend where they will produce some more Salmon Filet's.  After that, some Salmon Nuggets.  

I use my Masterbuilt gasser for all other meats which typically require a higher temp.  I also use the Masterbuilt without any heat to do some cold smoking for cheese, butter, salt, pepper, Lox.

Made mine tonight. bowl on botton, one covered with foil, salmon rubbed and wrap with plastic wrap, now don't laugh. One site said to cut a corner so the water can run out, well I cut s corner and inserted a straw for the water to run out. oh, yes a brick on top. Looks like
'lunch on Friday.

Made mine tonight. bowl on botton, one covered with foil, salmon rubbed and wrap with plastic wrap, now don't laugh. One site said to cut a corner so the water can run out, well I cut s corner and inserted a straw for the water to run out. oh, yes a brick on top. Looks like

'lunch on Friday.
Explain again what I'm looking at please. Looks like a baking dish then brick then fish then brick. I don't see a bowl. I do however see your straw.

First a long green Pyrax glass dish, then a plastic dish covered with foil to keep fish out of the juice that will run off. then the fish, just about a pound for my first try in plastic wrap, then a clean brick also in foil to weigh it down.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky