Love Halibut but it's pricey, any economical substitutes ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
red sled,

When substituting one fish for another I consider 2 main qualities, texture and flavor. I then consider each quality in 3 classifications. With texture, it's delicate, moderate, or firm. With flavor, it's mild, moderate, or full. Using that methodology, I consider halibut a firm and mild fish.

Though I can't think of a fish that would be a direct substitute for halibut, grouper, snapper, walleye, and turbot would be fine alternatives. Also, I wouldn't consider cod a substitute as while it has a mild flavor, the texture is very delicate.
One fish gaining popularity, at least with me and is economical and smokes well and readily available is catfish, it is a relativily high fat fish that is great smoked.A simple brine of equal parts of brown sugar and salt overnight, rinse well in am. dry with paper towels and ready for smoke, If she is finicky about catfish don't tell her untill she is raving about how good it was.

I used to eat catfish all the time, well, whenever I caught some at the lake. Now we are spoiled with fish from the store. I think it's time to try catfish again. Thanks Gwanger !

A man from Siapan once taught me that the strong smell, flavor and taste in salmon was found in the belly fat and black tissue of fish. Once remove the yuck could not spread to the lovely flesh of the fish. Works on other fish also.

This may only be me, but I would not use Tilapia or Cod, unless I plan on cooking it to at least 145°.
Cod seems to be the fish always mentioned when the word "Parasites" comes up.
And Tilapia, if it's foreign raised was likely raised in water closer to a sewer than water you would want fish to be from.

The parasites can also be dealt with by freezing, but it has to be for long times, and/or below the temps many home freezers are capable of.

Just my 2 Piasters,

Bear

I used to eat catfish all the time, well, whenever I caught some at the lake. Now we are spoiled with fish from the store. I think it's time to try catfish again. Thanks Gwanger !

Catfish has always been my Favorite Eating Fish---including Fresh or Saltwater fish. However my favorite are caught in Spring or early Summer, and in the 10" to 16" range.

Bear

I like the rockfish available at Costco for about $5/lb - firm white flesh, it works equally well for fried fish or blackened with cajun spices. The price makes it very attractive for us, as well as the texture. Not really a substitute for halibut, but at 1/3 the price, it is worth it for us.

Catfish has always been my Favorite Eating Fish---including Fresh or Saltwater fish. However my favorite are caught in Spring or early Summer, and in the 10" to 16" range.

Bear
Bear, next time you are going to eat catfish,try putting it the in smoker, you won't be disappointed since it has a high fat content it smokes well.

A man from Siapan once taught me that the strong smell, flavor and taste in salmon was found in the belly fat and black tissue of fish. Once remove the yuck could not spread to the lovely flesh of the fish. Works on other fish also.
any strong tasting flesh on a fish lies in the belly meat and along the lateral lines of the fish removing these two items improves the taste of the fish ten fold

A fish i have smoked with success is called Swai. its a mild fish and really cheap. last time i bought some was about $2.20/# boneless skinless filets. it has a mild flavor and takes on smoke easily and complements it well. it is available at Wal-mart here in 3# boxes. tastes good with like a Weber roasted garlic and herb seasoning or something along those lines and then smoked gently until white all over. ( about 30-45 minutes at 225). try it out if you don't like it it doesn't cost much.

Happy Smoking, (fish)
phatbac (Aaron)

Cant stand just lurking this thread anymore! So if you will please indulge me for a moment and let me hop in here....But please read!

1. No fish is safe from parasites and other nasties, so you should always handle and prepare fish as recommended by food safety standards. Freezing is one and cooking to internal temp is the other. Period. Any less, you are taking a risk. I prefer to do both.

2. The anisakis (worms) found in "groundfish" are VERY normal, and I guarantee every single one of you have eaten them before if you have eaten any kind of fish sticks or fish sandwich etc. See rule #1 above.

3. You can "candle" your fish by holding it up to a light to see through it. This only gets you away from the freaky visuals of a worm, but they will still be infected. Again, see rule #1.

4. Freshwater fish can still carry toxins and parasites. See rule #1

5. Beware of marketing labels. There are many practices all over that inflate prices, and fool consumers that have to do with mislabeling and how certain types of fish are mistakenly grouped together. "COD" is a good example, Rockfish" is another, just like many are aware of how different kinds of "Tuna" has gotten attention. (That is a LING COD in my avatar, and is different from other types of Cod.)

6. Choosing what fish to buy from the market is a VERY important decision! Your dollars in your wallet have the biggest impact on a MUCH BIGGER issues. Whether it is "wild caught" or "farm raised" imported, or not, and from what country of origin as well as the species of fish are important. Much of what is on the market is not in line with sustainable fishing resources, unhealthy or even sometimes illegal farming or fishing practices, etc. Economies are on the balance. My best suggestion is to educate yourself as best as you can so that you are not the typical fooled consumer by marketing labels and especially price! There are a couple of really good resource I recommend to everyone. Please print out the wallet cards or bookmark these on your smartphones when you are standing at the fish isle or fish monger.

https://oceana.org/living-blue/sustainable-seafood-guide
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/conservation-and-science/our-programs/seafood-watch
http://www.seafoodwatch.org/

As you can probably tell, this is an important issue for me and I have been involved with and researched this until my eyes have bled. Please PM or ask if you have any questions.

Erik

A fish i have smoked with success is called Swai. its a mild fish and really cheap. last time i bought some was about $2.20/# boneless skinless filets. it has a mild flavor and takes on smoke easily and complements it well. it is available at Wal-mart here in 3# boxes. tastes good with like a Weber roasted garlic and herb seasoning or something along those lines and then smoked gently until white all over. ( about 30-45 minutes at 225). try it out if you don't like it it doesn't cost much.

Happy Smoking, (fish)
phatbac (Aaron)
I avoid any farm raised fish bc conditions they are raised in overseas, some countries raise chickens above the farm fish to feed them. yuk

Cant stand just lurking this thread anymore! So if you will please indulge me for a moment and let me hop in here....But please read!

1. No fish is safe from parasites and other nasties, so you should always handle and prepare fish as recommended by food safety standards. Freezing is one and cooking to internal temp is the other. Period. Any less, you are taking a risk. I prefer to do both.

Erik

This is true, and if you look at my Smoked Fish Step by Steps, you'll see that I do both Freeze & cook to safe Temp.
However some fish are more susceptible to worms than others, Like Cod.

Bear

You are right Bear. Those type of worms are mostly found in groundfish (bottom fish) Ling cod, Cabezon, Yellow Eye, Canary, China, Coppers, Vermillion, Greenling and the list goes on. So they can be in "Red Snapper, and any "Rockfish" and including Halibut. Its "Cod" that gets the bad wrap for them but there are many more. But even predator fish that live in the pelagic zone that eat those contaminated species carry the worms. So even Salmon can have "Cod Worms" and other types of worms as well for that matter. Farm raised salmon are even more likely to have them. Speaking of Salmon... something else we see around here is known as "tapioca disease". gross, but supposedly harmless. Just keep doing what you are doing, and chose your fish wisely. And mostly for other reasons than risk of worms.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky