Louisiana Grills LG900 Pellet Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The best way I can think of is to check with Savannah Stoker https://www.savannahstoker.com/ and see if their P.I.D controller will work with your Louisiana grill. This would a huge improvement to your grill by itself and then they are supposed to launch a remote control for their controller early next year. The other option would be to get the upgrade kit from Smoke Daddy https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/pellet-pro-pid-controller-complete-pellet-grill-upgrade-kit/ and then add their remote control. It's not an inexpensive upgrade to add remote control to a grill.

Hi, I would like to resurrect this thread.

Does any one know of a pellet smoker/grill with dimensions similar to the Louisiana Grill LG900 32 1/2" X 19 1/2" that has an approximate consistent temperature across the grilling area?

The LG900 consistently has about a 30F difference in cooking area temperature from right to left. This makes cooking multiple items a real challenge as the right gets done far earlier than the left. I either need to swap everything in mid cook or take items off at markedly different times. If this is normal for the larger grills, just let me know.

I have a nice place to roll the LG into and would like to find something that was not much higher.

Open to suggestions. I figure to sell the LG to someone locally next spring and replace it.

Their customer service is interesting. They are happy to send parts as long as the customer is willing to disassemble the grill to install them. Replacing the temperature probe is essentially impossible since one has to remove the hopper from the end of the barrel and the screws that need to be loosened are on the inside of the cooking chamber. They are pretty much welded to the end plate due to heat and corrosion. No amount of Mouse Milk or other thread loosener allows the screws to be broken loose before stripping the Philips head. I have always thought that engineers should have to service things in the field they design so they will understand the consequences of their work. I found this to be true from Lockheed onwards in my career.

Hi, I would like to resurrect this thread.

Does any one know of a pellet smoker/grill with dimensions similar to the Louisiana Grill LG900 32 1/2" X 19 1/2" that has an approximate consistent temperature across the grilling area?

The LG900 consistently has about a 30F difference in cooking area temperature from right to left. This makes cooking multiple items a real challenge as the right gets done far earlier than the left. I either need to swap everything in mid cook or take items off at markedly different times. If this is normal for the larger grills, just let me know.

I have a nice place to roll the LG into and would like to find something that was not much higher.

Open to suggestions. I figure to sell the LG to someone locally next spring and replace it.

Their customer service is interesting. They are happy to send parts as long as the customer is willing to disassemble the grill to install them. Replacing the temperature probe is essentially impossible since one has to remove the hopper from the end of the barrel and the screws that need to be loosened are on the inside of the cooking chamber. They are pretty much welded to the end plate due to heat and corrosion. No amount of Mouse Milk or other thread loosener allows the screws to be broken loose before stripping the Philips head. I have always thought that engineers should have to service things in the field they design so they will understand the consequences of their work. I found this to be true from Lockheed onwards in my career.
I have upgraded to the Traeger Timberline. It has been great for temperature control but it is higher than the LG due to the use of 3 trays that give a lot of cooking space but have an oval chamber.

I have upgraded to the Traeger Timberline. It has been great for temperature control but it is higher than the LG due to the use of 3 trays that give a lot of cooking space but have an oval chamber.

What is there about the Traeger that warrants the big price increase over the LG? The latest, LG Black Label 1200 w/WiFi, PID, 14 gauge steel. Is $999, compared to $1999 for the Timberline 1300. BTW, I'm still looking, was set on a KUMA Platinum, then they stopped production...JJ

Well, I thought about this a minute and went and Got your answer without the wait...I went and watched your two Videos and Subscribed as well. I now can see the difference with the double wall construction and some of the bells and whistles Thanks and great job on the videos...JJ

What is there about the Traeger that warrants the big price increase over the LG? The latest, LG Black Label 1200 w/WiFi, PID, 14 gauge steel. Is $999, compared to $1999 for the Timberline 1300. BTW, I'm still looking, was set on a KUMA Platinum, then they stopped production...JJ

Well, I thought about this a minute and went and Got your answer without the wait...I went and watched your two Videos and Subscribed as well. I now can see the difference with the double wall construction and some of the bells and whistles Thanks and great job on the videos...JJ
Chef Jimmyj, I went for the lower priced LG900 at Costco due to the larger size and the huge price difference with Traeger. My major gripe is the temperature differential from one end of the grate to the other, which I think is a basic design flaw. It also is a bit of a pellet hog which I think is due to the forced air system coupled with the numerous vent holes along the top rear and the single wall construction. I have not dealt w/ Traeger's customer service much since the dotcom guy bought the company and moved it to Salt Lake City. It is looking more like a app that happens to sell grills rather than a grill company that happens to have an app.

Reactions: chef jimmyj

There is no doubt the Timberline is substantially a better smoker than the LG900 but you pay for that. However, I did a lot of great food on the LG! Thanks for the kind words.

Chef Jimmyj, I went for the lower priced LG900 at Costco due to the larger size and the huge price difference with Traeger. My major gripe is the temperature differential from one end of the grate to the other, which I think is a basic design flaw. It also is a bit of a pellet hog which I think is due to the forced air system coupled with the numerous vent holes along the top rear and the single wall construction. I have not dealt w/ Traeger's customer service much since the dotcom guy bought the company and moved it to Salt Lake City. It is looking more like a app that happens to sell grills rather than a grill company that happens to have an app.

You are right about the higher temperature variations on the LG. Also, the Timberline definitely uses less pellets. However, it is a price/benefit comparison each person has to make.

As for the customer service, it has been the weakest part of the experiment but they did solve my problem eventually.

Basically, both units did what they were supposed to while the Traeger Timberline is more consistent and makes it easier.

Update: I found a home for the LG-900 and sold it.

After much looking reading I decided on a RecTeq RT-590 which arrived this week. First impressions are good. The quality of construction is excellent and the ability to hold temperature looks very good. More at home R&D to come.

Great to hear you got a new toy. Best of luck with it...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky