Live-updates: setting up first smoker and smoking a pulled pork shoulder!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ah yeah good shout on that. I do have the grate + ring that you mentioned. Might have to get some wire to do as you show.

Shaken up the coals and there were about 1/4 at the back that weren't even lit it seems. Gave it a good move with a spoon and a lot of the excess ash fell through.

Don't use the charcoal grate that came with the WSM! You'll need a charcoal grate from the same size of a weber kettle. This also helps in that you can set up the two grates so that they run 90* from each other and you'll not have the smaller lump and briquettes fall thru and be wasted.

You probably have not even reached the stall yet. Most of the time 165 is where that happens on Butts. There is no shame in bringing it in the house. You got a good smoke in on your new smoker and learned a lot of stuff. Next time plan for at least 2 hours per pound and a 2 hour rest and have extra fuel on hand just in case, also see what the best charcoal that you can get is over there and get that, I think I remember something about aussie heat beads of something like that. I use kingsford over here and it works the best for me but I don't know if you can get that over there. I still want to see the end result! I would regard this as a success unless you oversleep the pork and it gets burnt in the oven. lol. I doubt that will happen. I plan 24 hours for Butts and Beef Chuck roasts, Briskets etc. these days. Hey, if it is done early, fine. Happy smoking. Timber.

Well I am on nights tomorrow night so I'll be up another 6 hours+ easily. No worries there.

Currently risen to 162 in the oven so looking hopeful, but as I say, let's see :)

Definitely need to sort out the charcoal situation though, I had a good look round for the Kingsford brand but couldn't see anything and kinda just settled on this one as it was the only store I could find today that had briquettes in store. Will be planning ahead better for the next cook instead of just doing it last minute.

I'll for sure be around until the end and share pics to make you all (at least partially) jealous! :)

The charcoal grate for a WSM is larger so the ring sits on it; the charcoal grate for the same size kettle will fit inside the ring.
Yes, I see what you mean now. The WSM grate has about a cm (1/2 inch) circle around it bare, because the ring is too small for it in comparison. Will have to see if i can get a second hand grate from ebay or something then. Thanks for the heads up.

It just bumped up to 167!

Last edited:
I know you mentioned weather was against you on this smoke. Cold - and especially windy - weather can almost double your fuel consumption compared to summer time smokes. One way around that is to either place your smoker inside of a vented enclosure or wrap it with something. I wrap my 22.5" WSM with a 6ft. x 8 ft. welding blanket and some heave spring clamps, this lets me run in below freezing and windy conditions with almost the same fuel consumption as in the middle of summer. In the summer I get 22+ hrs. of burn at 250° out of 20 lbs. of charcoal, in the winter with it wrapped in the welding blanket I can get approx. 20+ hrs. at 250° with one vent open and the other two closed. Just try to open the smoker as little as possible.

Also make sure the top is arranged so you are not blocking the exhaust vent or the lid therm. Probe wires can be ran out the side at the seam where you gather the two ends together. Like you I live in a damp environment (Oregon) so I always store my charcoal indoors - charcoal is like a sponge and it can soak up moisture from the air even if not directly in the rain - especially lump charcoal. You will know if your charcoal got damp, it will have a slightly skunky smell when lit.

Damn that seems very involved!

Meat is currently pushing through and climbing... It's now at 183 F. Would you recommend I pull it out at 195 or 205? It's well wrapped with some cola as I had no apple juice lol.

Pulled it off at 200 F. Ramped up extremely quickly at the end.

Total cook time: 5 hr 56 min

Currently resting on my hob for the two hours you suggested then we are going to get some nice pictures!!!
yahoo.gif

I used to work with quite a few Aussies and kiwi's, even a couple of Cockney Brits quite a few years ago and I am a little familiar with the speak but that one doesn't ring a bell.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky