Live-updates: setting up first smoker and smoking a pulled pork shoulder!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ewanjackson

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 21, 2015
Oxford, England
OK so after asking for advice on this forum, and unboxing (thread link) my WSM 18.5" (47cm) yesterday - the day has come to smoke my first joint of meat.

I'm basically following the below starter guide, minus the injection part as I haven't got one yet!

I'm going to cook a relatively small 2kg (4.5lb) shoulder as I have no idea how it is going to turn out...

Just about to set up the Maverick 733 - hopefully it's fairly easy.

And just like that, the great British weather just went from sunny skies to hailstones in less than 10 minutes! Great
th_crybaby2.gif

Search on here for the "minion method". It's a tried and true way to load you basket and get the charcoal up to temp. As far as the chimney watch for to much wind I find that starting it and resting it in my drum while it does its thing helps when is windy. Look into the weber fire starters they are 1 inch square waxy cubes and they stay lit for about 5 minutes. Only need to light 6 to 10 pieces of charcoal using the minion method.

I'm using the minion method in the smoker itself, just the chimney was a ball ache! Second attempt about 8 of the coals were lit, and a few others were turning white. Currently put it all together and the heat is rising according to my Maverick 733!! Happy for now

Looks like you got it going. I would venture to guess your charcoal might have been a little damp. As someone mentioned a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil helps quite a bit. Do you have temperature probes so you can dial in the smoker temp. and meat temp. as those are the two most important things to have nailed down to get perfect pulled pork. That looks like a pretty good piece of meat there.

Reactions: ewanjackson
Oh ok I see the wires now. Remember, if your looking you aint cooking. It will take 2 hours per pound or a little over 4 per KG at 225 F. Then a couple hours rest wrapped up in foil with some liquid of your choice. Apple juice is my goto for this.

Yeah I have the Maverick 733 currently set up. Just put the meat on the smoker and I'm now just going to leave it be. Rub is literally just a basic jerk rub, paprika, chilli etc - literally just want to test the smoker out, not go for world championship flavouring right now!

Maverick 733 doing its job nicely. Top temp for the meat and bottom for the smoker itself. The smoker temp probe is about 2 inch from the meat and 3 inch from the side - I've read up about the cold air around the meat that can negatively affect the probe.

Hopefully all should be good for now!

Last edited:
This is a very good tutorial that will give you excellent pulled pork every time. I don't like that recipe that weber has there. Pork Butt needs more time to rest and I don't trim much fat off as that is where the moisture and flavor comes from. Plus I don't find you get enough fat rendering at 190 F. internal. I take mine to 205 and most times I will foil at 165 to help it get through the stall a little quicker. Anyway here is Bear's step by step and it is very popular on this site. Foolproof!http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/140055/boston-butt-pulled-pork-step-by-step

One more thing. If you let your smoker get up to temp before you put the meat in you will get less undesirable white smoke flavor at the start of your cook. It takes 45 minutes to an hour to accomplish this. Happy smoking and congrats on your new smoker!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky