Liehs and Steigerwald

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Have to make a trip to Syracuse next Wednesday.

Going to stop at Liehs and Steigerwald.

I'm thinking Kielbasa, Bratwurst, Knockwurst and whatever else catches my eye.

If you're close enough to Syracuse and have never been, do yourself a favor and go.

the last old school German butcher in town.
I really like their landjaeger and pepperettes, not a big fan of their hot dogs.
I haven't been there in a while, but might have to make a trip this week. Thanks for the suggestion.

the last old school German butcher in town.
I really like their landjaeger and pepperettes, not a big fan of their hot dogs.
I haven't been there in a while, but might have to make a trip this week. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll give the landjaeger a try.

Been to Heid's in Liverpool many times in the 70's while working @ the Miller Brewery. They severed Hofmann products. Which was owned by a German family, if I recall correctly. Not sure if either is still open. Decent hot dog at the time. Think they also did sausage.

Yeah heid's is still there, but can't tell ya what they serve for hot dogs now, Late 70's early 80's they had a battle with Hofmann's and ended up switching suppliers, which was a disaster for Heid's.
Hofmann's is still around and even went national, they tweaked their recipe and are not the same product anymore. Oddly enough, I can buy their old recipe coney and franks at the local butcher shop, so it might be the local plant is still producing the original and others are using the new recipe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky