Lang Smokers vs. other Top of The Line Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm hopping in here just to hopefully calm this discussion down a hair. Some good points from both sides here no doubt. For the record dba1954, if you are not familiar with RibWizzard or his work you might want to check it out. His builds are legendary bro! His position on Lang in particular is correct. They work great, their craftsmanship is not that great. That being said, to each his own. But to anyone who has been on this forum for an extended amount of time to say that RibWizzard has lost all credibility is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read here. The guy is a fabricating genius, master welder, and seems to go above and beyond with advice to any and all who ask. I don't even know him and have never met him.

Reactions: ribwizzard
RibWizzard,

No offence taken by me.
yahoo.gif

I have enjoyed my smoking with a wide variety of items on two Lang smokers and the end results were great. I found the smokers relatively easy to use and maintaing temps was pretty easy.

I do, however, agree with you that the build quality does leave something to be desired. I have seen a Cadillac smoker and a jambo and there is no comparison with the build quality and the fit and finish.

One smoker that looks pretty strong to me on the build quality and design are those offered by ~~Rob Marelli, founder and CEO of Seconn Fabrication located in Waterford, CT. who builds the smokers for Myron Mixon...."The King od Q".

I have not seen one in the flesh as yet but I am impressed with what I have seen and read about how the smokers are built.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts, and comments on these smokers.

The web site is as follows:  http://myronmixonsmokers.com/  

Pig,

Hopefully some feedback will get to Lane and they will step up the quality and update the designs, like stated, they are the first to offer a commercially available reverse flow smoker at a some what reasonable price, they just need to invest some of the fame and profits back into the product and move forward.

Looked at the Mixon smoker briefly, looks like a good quality product. The only down side I see so far is the use of water . I myself don't really like a water smoker, but some prefer it. I'd want to know how the cooker would perform without the water in the pan. I've played around some with cookers with the firebox under the cooking chamber like that and I know that it's hard not to get the baffle to hot from the fire and have too much grease burning up from hitting the hot baffle, might be why they use the water. But if they use a double plated baffle system, it might not be a problem.

As far as advise on a new smoker purchase, I feel that this site has all the information and expertise to help design a better smoker than any of the commercially available cookers on the market ( that I've come across so far ). I would think that someone could take advantage of all the free information and help available here and come up with a design, aquire the materials, and hire a local weld/fab shop to perform the build and end up with a better cooker built exactly for the way they cook.

RW,

I hired a local guy to do my last build and to me (the untrained eye) it looked and performed great. The only reason I got rid of it was because I want a larger one and the backyard is only so big.

My question was more about what, if anything, are some thing I should ask him about on the new build? I see a lot of people say X smoker is better than Y because of the welds. As a non-wleder are there things I should look out for?

If the question is too general, I understand. I don't know what I don't know.

Then start by sitting down and deciding exactly what you want from a cooker.

How much food do you want to be able to prepare

what kind of fuel do you want to use.

Where will it be located. What kind of climate do you have?

Any special cooking characteristics required for your recipes? What temps do you like to cook at? Tell us what you enjoy cooking.

What kind of accesories do you want? Sink, hand wash station, warming boxes, deep fryer? Propane heat?

Tell us everything your looking for so we can figure out what style cooker you need.

OK. My question was too general. To your point above, I've answered all those questions.

Let me be more specific. I hear people beat up on Lang or Bubba and praise Meadow Creek. To me, the untrained welder, the basic difference is one used a matte style paint and doesn't always grind all the welds smooth (Lang and some older Bubbas) while the other uses glossy paint, chrome and smooths the welds (Meadow Creek).

Speaking specifically to the welding, does grinding off the metal/slag provide a more secure or better weld? Are there other quality issues that the average person cannot? Are these actual quality things as opposed to preference or looks things? For instance, I can tell you the difference between using a particular type of RAM in a computer over another. But whether you choose Apple or PC is a personal preference.

Another example, my builder puts square stacks on his smokers. Volume and everything is equal to the round ones (we use the BBQ Builder calulator) but I, and other folks who use him, like the "custom" look of the square stack. If someone tells me that empirically evidence/physics shows the circular stack is better because it draft better due to a lower surface friction and less turbulence, then I will say to him, use a round one on my new build. If people prefer round because it looks better and has no welds, I could care less about that.

In short, are there things that make a reverse flow design better functionally, not cosmetically. Should vents be a certain shape, stacks a particular make up, ends flat vs round, etc. I don't care about shiny paint or chrome.

Yes, there are a lot of details that can make one smoker more of a pleasure to operate and cook on over another.  Vent placement, reverse flow pan design, where the grease collects and drains, all the way down to where moisture in the CC collects and drips on your food. How easy it is to move around. Does the smoker seal up, or just have a rain cap that roaches can climb into. Can food roll of the end of the rack and fall down below the reverse pan. How are the racks made? and of what material?  Is the firegrate flat, angled? Does it have a double plated firebox? Where is the center of the fire located in reference to the CC? Is there a baffle plate or is the reverse flow pan just welded to the firebox lid? Have they engineered out the hot spot or just moved the temp guages so as not to show it?

Those are the details you should be concerned with first, the lay out and design, fit and finish come second. Welds can be touched up and paint can be re shot easy enough, but your going to be stuck with the general design of the smoker unless you cut it up and rebuild it.

That's interesting. The Meadow Creek is similar to the design my builder uses. Never had an issues maintaining a small hot fire.

RB,

I appreciate the info. Like I said, I know how to cook on them but I am no expert in their design.

The more you play around with the design, you start noticing what differences effect how you cook. Then your going to want different cookers for doing different cuts of meat. I tend to build mine more for ribs and chicken, but would make them slightly different for say..brisket, or whole butts. If I was doing comp. or if I ran charcoal instead of wood.

i'm with ya RW.

until people actually build one of these pits they have no idea what goes into them. build one to cook well AND look good and you'll see why they cost more. if you want a pit that cooks good but looks OK appearance wise then GO FOR IT! but if you want a pit that cooks just as good or better AND looks good then step up the money and get one. there are many levels of price as far as appearance and cooking and temps and yada yada yada.

but to truly appreciate the value and construction and QUALITY of a great looking and functioning pit build one yourself and go from there. i can kick out a pit in a weekend that will cook good and look like butt and be on the cheap side. 

for the record i only endorse my pits and the pits i've bought and i have not bought a Lang. i looked at them hard when i was looking to purchase a pit and there were a lot of things i didn't like about the trailer cooker and it had nothing to do with the way it cooked. it had to do with the way it was constructed and the way it looked. their "trailer portion" i don't like at all. i don't like the way they don't buff the corners of the cookers, they look sloppy to me. 

this is just all my .02 cents and not poking at anyone or any cooker manufacturer. i just hate when people DOG on a manufacturer cause they put a higher price tag on a cooker cause it looks nicer in quality and appearance. guess what?! it cost more to make them look that good. buy a new truck in primer paint and half the interior and it'll be cheaper. buy one with some extras added to it and it'll be more pricey. just the way it is.

Not sure about all that but we call them reverse gizmos Georgia Cookers in this part of the world for some reason. Used to be an old guy in Longview who could build a clone for half the money. I think he has now passed but surely his kids are cutting the proverbial fat hawg in the coola on that deal. I can find the number if needed. Let me know thanks.

Last edited:
RW,

I appreciate your comments and thoughts regarding the Myron MIxon Smokers. I have read several comments from an assortment of people who custom build smokers as you do but I have to believe that Seconn Fabricators is a top of the line company when it comes to fabrication, welding, laser etc.

I come from the corporate world and understand well that companies that have an ISO 9000 rating and maintain it says a lot about their processes, build standards and quality end products that are offered to the public. That's in no way to say or imply that individuals and small companies that have people that have extensive welding and fabrication experience cannot design and build a great smoker.

I am impressed, however, that Myron Mixon, the undisputed king of "Q" and in the Bar-B-Que Hall of Fame has selected a very top of the line fabrication company to build his line of smokers to his style of smoking and build quality demands.I just  found out today that Tuffy Stone, two time national "Q" champion and owner of Cool Smoke restaurants owns and uses a Myron Mixon Smoker. Additionally, so does Melissa Cookston, national BBQ competitor, judge and owner of a restaurant in Memphis, TN called Memphis Barbeque Company. These folks in and of themselves have the wherewithal to purchase any smoker available on the market or have one custom built from a fabricator but they haven't and instead chose a Myron Mixon Smoker. Having respect for these people who are some of the top competition BBQ smokers in the country and having won hundreds of thousands of dollars in the business sends a rather positive message to me that the Mixon Smokers are probably a great product to own and use both personally and in competitive or commercial applications.

I am not sure that you agree with me on the above points that I have mentioned and I most certainly have respect for your opinion. I additionally hope that I have not offended you in anyway.

First and last let me say that what I know about welding, laser cutting steel, welding, and fabrication you could put on the tip of a needle.

I make a good deal of my business decisions by doing my due diligence and with extensive research and conversations with people have purchased and utilized products or services that I am considering investing in.

Harv

Pig...,

It looks like a quality product, no doubt!

I only brought up that point because I could not tell from the pics how they designed that part of the cooker. It may or may not be an issue. I just know when I played around building a configuration like that, it was a problem for me. And my design.

I want to add something for people looking to buy a smoker;

There are as many different designs to smokers as there are different techniques of cooking BBQ. If you been cooking for a while and have certain cooking techniques that you use, make sure that the design your thinking of purchasing will still allow you to cook in the way you are used to. Or you will be starting all over from scratch again.

What you like to use for fuel, what temps you cook at, if you use water or not, ..all these should be taken into consideration.

And if your a novice, it's easy enough to sample other cooks BBQ until you find the flavor your looking to achieve, and then snoop around their pit to see what they are using and doing to achieve that.

So you can either buy a pit and learn to cook on it, or pick out a pit that will cook the way you want it to.

Just something to keep in mind.

Rib,

You bring up very excellent points for consideration on a smoker selection and I agree with you. All smoker styles, builds and smoking techniques will not generate the same food taste results.

This may seem somewhat confusing to some people and a little bit scary but as you have so well put........it is the way it is.

I don't know if you would agree, but I believe if most people wanting to purchase a smoker to barbeque a variety of things like chicken, chicken wings, ribs, butts, brisket, sausage and other items do a bit of research on forums, talk with friends and speak with people who have successful barbeque restaurants.....Not the national chains and folks who do barbeque catering for a living they will find a world of good information on who cooks what on what type of smoker, the good and bad results they have had and why they enjoy the smoker that they have purchased.

I personally have learned a wealth of great information from this smoking forum, watching the kingsford BBQ pitmasters competition that is on discovery America channel watching some of the best BBQ competition people smoking a wide variety of products and see what smokers they use and why and look at the results and who wins what. I have also personally contacted several of these top competitors and spoken with them about why they selected the smoker that they have, etc. In Aaron Franklins case, a judge on this program and owner of Franklins BBQ in Austin, TX he designed and built his own 500 gal. smokers that he uses for his restaurant. He as well as a whole host of folks in the BBQ smoking world have all kinds of clips on YouTube that someone can glean a ton of information from.

Now that I have gone through all that rambling on I will be quiet and listen.

Pig

I personally like the jacks ol south cookers (myrons). But the price is up there on them. If i had the cash, id buy one and give it a whirl.

But just as RW has said as well as Pig has, you gotta learn a pit in order to cook good Q with it.

Even on Pitmasters, Tuffy had issues with myrons cooker whereas myron makes it look easy. Tuffy was used to the offset he cooks on and going from one cooking style to another is a big change and just someone doesnt like it or says it dont cook well doesnt always mean its a bad cooker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky