Kingsford blue bag vs kingsford competition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
pretty neat test, blue bag burned almost 1.5 hours longer....the way i have my smoker's SFB set up i have 8" from the bottom of my basket to the bottom of the fire box, so ash build up isn't an issue for me anyway over burn time..........bob

Yeah I used competition once.... wasn't very impressed. Definately not worth the extra $1 per bag, most places want to charge for it.

I was not impressed with it either. I've been using Full Circle All Hardwood Lump Charcoal. I really like it. It's ready in no time and lasts a good while too. It is usually around 9.99 a bag, but my local market decided not to carry it anymore so I got 6 bags for 5.00 each. I'm on the last bag now, bummer.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]It appears that Kingsford Competition Briquets light faster, burn hotter, produce less ash, and smell like wood when lighting as compared to "blue bag" Kingsford. However, it also burns faster than "blue bag" Kingsford in an uncontrolled situation as in a chimney starter.[/font]
It should burn faster since there is less filler and more stuff that will actually burn.
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]It will be interesting to see if Competition Briquets can be coaxed into burning as long as "blue bag" Kingsford in the controlled environment of the WSM with good vent control.[/font]
Having used both in a UDS, I can say that the Comp provides cooking temps of 225° to 250° for more time per pound that Blue Bag K.  My basket holds 18 pounds of Blue Bag, but only 12 pounds of Comp.  (That filler stuff weighs quite a bit.)  Both will give me similar burn times but with the Blue Bag, the ash pan is so full I can hardly lift it out without dumping it all over the place.

Makes sense since it burns hotter.  Plus it doesn't stink up the place while it's lighting and makes very little ash.

Probably not as good as really good lump but better than the lump that I can get around here.

Dave

I'd use competition for the mere sake it's more "natural" than blue bag. Or Stubbs - if I am using briquettes for whatever reason. 

"Kingsford charcoal is manufactured from wood charcoal, anthracite coal, mineral charcoal, starch, sodium nitrate, limestone, sawdust and borax."

you guys are talking bout a smell the BB gives off, are you guys using starting fluid
icon_redface.gif
 ....i use my propane trigger torch and just stick it in a hole between some brick and pull the trigger....it starts bout 6 to 8 bricks like the minion method....or i start it with a 3lb coffee can in the bricks when i fill my basket and dump lit brick from my starter chimeny, dump the lit bricks in the coffee can then pull out the can with pliers....two ways to GIT-R-LIT
icon_mrgreen.gif
 ..........bob

Not worth it. I loaded up on blue bag last year when they had them coupons. I'm back to using RO charcoal. I'm stocking up on that. Just got some 16.6#  bags for 4.19 each.

you guys are talking bout a smell the BB gives off, are you guys using starting fluid
icon_redface.gif
 ....i use my propane trigger torch and just stick it in a hole between some brick and pull the trigger....it starts bout 6 to 8 bricks like the minion method....or i start it with a 3lb coffee can in the bricks when i fill my basket and dump lit brick from my starter chimeny, dump the lit bricks in the coffee can then pull out the can with pliers....two ways to GIT-R-LIT
icon_mrgreen.gif
 ..........bob

Me - the smell while the BB coals are ashing over. Once they are ashed over, I can't smell anything. Prior to that - I can. I have 2 bags for emergencies (FL hurricanes - we loose power quite often). Last year you couldn't even buy gas because there wasn't power to turn the pumps on. But I won't won't use it unless we are out of power and I happen to be low on RO. 

icon_redface.gif

Umm . . . no. (sigh)  And it's not Match Light either.  I've clarified that point so many times on so many forums over the years my fingers get tired of typing it.

The Blue Bag stuff, specifically that produced at the West Coast plant has a horrible smell when it is lighting.  Which is why it's a bad idea to use it in a Minion style burn or in a UDS where unlit briquettes are lighting all the time.  For grilling where the coals are fully ashed over before the meat is put on, it's probably less of an issue.

Dave

i must have some east coast stuff then, mine don't smell
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
 ...........bob

Consider yourself lucky.
biggrin.gif

If I recall correctly, it is a raw materials issue.  Lots of pine and fir forests out here.  Not nearly as much hardwood as back East.

BUT then again, probably not an issue if your grilling.  As long as you're upwind of it.  Most people around here wouldn't notice the smell over the stench of the lighter fluid that they used to light their grill anyway.
rolleyes.gif

Dave

Gee, I've been using BB for years.  I haven't noticed any unusual odor.  I'm from Indiana, so it's anyone's  guess what part of the country my charcoal comes from.  I've tried RO several times but still I wait for our Lowe's to do a 2 for 1 sale on the major holidays for Kingsford.  I stock up then.

I havent found any RO charcoal around here in eastern TN.
I think Krogers on Clinton Hwy in Powell has it and also you can order it off ace hardwares website and have it ship to store for free so I'm going to have some shipped to my ace store ever here in Halls

Hey Flyfish what ever happened to all that free apple wood you were going to give away? Did you go get it yet? I'm still available to help out

IMO, I would only use Kingsford, if I had no other choice. It's the most pathetic excuse for charcoal as has ever been made. Having spent time burning every possible charcoal I could find, lump or briquette, I've come to the conclusion that the only redeeming quality of anything with the Kingsford name is that it will burn.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky