Kimchi - Quick Hot Pickled

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr t 59874

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 9, 2011
Trout Creek, Montana
Quick Hot Pickled Kimchi

This is an easy and wonderful side dish

Servings 4     Prep time 20 minutes

Ingredients:

1 large cucumber (about 2 cups) thinly sliced

1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp. canning salt

1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

1 Tbs. rice or white vinegar

1 tsp. sesame oil

1 tsp. sugar

2 cloves garlic, minced (2tsp.)

Preparation:

In a bowl, toss the cucumber with the salt, let stand for 20 minutes, drain.

Add the all the other ingredients, and toss to combine.  May be consumed immediately or refrigerated for further use.  Consume within two days for best results.

Enjoy,

Tom

Thx....I'm on it...will do today. Thinking a little crispy radish would be good in there too....either daikon or regular
I use the pickle press to hurry the process along and it pushes more liquid from the cucumber. 

You know, dirtsailor may have something there.

Tom

Tom Thanks for the recipe. I just happen to have everything needed to make this, including two 3# pickle presses in my tool box! There's a five pound one in the wood shed too
laugh1.gif

Tom Thanks for the recipe. I just happen to have everything needed to make this, including two 3# pickle presses in my tool box! There's a five pound one in the wood shed too
laugh1.gif
dirtsailor, I'm sure yours will work, but this is more like what I use.

https://www.google.com/search?q=japanese+pickle+press&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cC2RUZnrJOediAKLoIDgDA&sqi=2&ved=0CF0QsAQ&biw=1066&bih=511

You will find this recipe good for the ones who have heard bad things about Kimchi and refuse to even try it.  Just don't tell them the name of it.

Mine is ready for the refrigerator already.

Tom

dirtsailor, I'm sure yours will work, but this is more like what I use.

https://www.google.com/search?q=japanese+pickle+press&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cC2RUZnrJOediAKLoIDgDA&sqi=2&ved=0CF0QsAQ&biw=1066&bih=511

You will find this recipe good for the ones who have heard bad things about Kimchi and refuse to even try it.  Just don't tell them the name of it.

Mine is ready for the refrigerator already.

Tom
those are sweet.....leave it to the Japanese

Awright...got me some kimchi done for a side with tonights sandwich. Added some store radish, no daikons in, and bumped the heat up to 1 full tsp of Korean red chili flakes plus the 1/2 tsp of cayenne. I had a quick taste and thought maybe even more heat on the next batch or try the more common crushed red pepper flakes instead of the Korean flakes. I felt my first batch of Kim Chi was lacking some Zip, could be the chili flakes are just not hot enough. Thanks for posting Mr. T.....tasty so far.

You've got it Willie, looking good. You are correct in adding more Korean pepper as it is completely different from what is generally used in the States.  If you think it is good now, wait until supper.   A few drops of fish sauce won't hurt it either.

Tom

You've got it Willie, looking good. You are correct in adding more Korean pepper as it is completely different from what is generally used in the States.  If you think it is good now, wait until supper.   A few drops of fish sauce won't hurt it either.

Tom
Hmmm, forgot about the fish juice...I will add some now. And I thought there might be some difference in the peppers...the color of the Korean chili makes things beautiful but it is lacking in heat. I may throw in a half tsp of crushed red with the fish juice. Later.....thx again

Looks a lot like the cukes and onions we have during the garden season....  Never added sesame oil though...  I will now, and I just received my bottle of Red Boat....   Good Stuff.....   And I thought your "pickle press" was a 12# sledge hammer....  Boy was I wrong..... 
biggrin.gif

Dave

Awright...got me some kimchi done for a side with tonights sandwich. Added some store radish, no daikons in, and bumped the heat up to 1 full tsp of Korean red chili flakes plus the 1/2 tsp of cayenne. I had a quick taste and thought maybe even more heat on the next batch or try the more common crushed red pepper flakes instead of the Korean flakes. I felt my first batch of Kim Chi was lacking some Zip, could be the chili flakes are just not hot enough. Thanks for posting Mr. T.....tasty so far.

Looks great Chef Willie, and here I sit at work waiting for the clock to move faster!

This recipe looks real good. One question i have, is the pickle press used in this or do i follow it as is? Thanks, Reinhard
The exact press that I have is on the top row, second from left.  It is used in the recipe when the salted cucumber is resting.  Although the press is not required, the longer it rest under pressure the more water is extracted, allowing the finish mixture to be reabsorbed back into the cucumber.

Yes, I agree with you. It's my opinion that a "Fermentation" forum under "Preserving Foods" would be a very active thread.  When kimchi was mentioned as a side dish with pulled pork on another BBQ forum, it took off with many questions.  I was not so politely reminded by the moderator that it was a BBQ forum and such things were not welcomed.  Should have called it Korean coleslaw.

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks Tom [i should have said that earlier instead of Mr. T]. Ya, i guess it should stay in the veggie forum. I have been a moderator in a outdoor forum and i can understand what you are saying. Reinhard

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky