Just Bought a Masterbuilt Model 20051214, Propane Smoker from Sam's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Try a thin SS pan for the chip pan...  I think W-M has the pans that fit the Big Chief smoker...  The thin SS heats fast and transfers the heat to the chips...   If you use chunks, use 1 chunk only...   2 chunks will burn and flame burns up the smoke...   Anyway, that's what I have found....

DaveOmak,

I like your recommendation, are you still using this set-up?  Also, do you place a lid on the pan?

Thanks in advance....

joe

I ended up removing most of the innards and put a cast iron skillet directly over a burner. Two chunks every couple hours works pretty good.

Pictures to follow.

JD

I ended up removing most of the innards and put a cast iron skillet directly over a burner. Two chunks every couple hours works pretty good.

Pictures to follow.

JD
I like that set-up JD, at what temperature will the chunks start smoking?  Do you have to turn up the heat a bunch to get it?

Thanks,

joe

Joe, With the lack of insulation, it really depends. Last week, I did 20# of chicken [emoji]127831[/emoji]. I kept one burner on high and the other one on low. If you pre-heat your smoker, you can get the smoke started and it should stay smoking, but...
This weekend is supposed to be low to mid 80's here. I'll let you know what I do.

JD

I like that set-up JD, at what temperature will the chunks start smoking?  Do you have to turn up the heat a bunch to get it?

Thanks,
joe
[/quote]

Reactions: flgolfer29
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky