Just Bought a Masterbuilt Model 20051214, Propane Smoker from Sam's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So I have the XL44 gas 2 burner. I am getting pissed! I can't get smoke!! I have removed the wood box and have a cast iron pan sitting on the defuser and the wood, hickory, barely chars!!!
I guess the defuser goes bye bye, and I put a rack over the hole...

Grrrrr

JD

Try a thin SS pan for the chip pan...  I think W-M has the pans that fit the Big Chief smoker...  The thin SS heats fast and transfers the heat to the chips...   If you use chunks, use 1 chunk only...   2 chunks will burn and flame burns up the smoke...   Anyway, that's what I have found....

The thin SS heats fast and transfers the heat to the chips...   If you use chunks, use 1 chunk only...   2 chunks will burn and flame burns up the smoke...   Anyway, that's what I have found....
-------------------

Thanks. I guess I can try the thin steel box that came with it or maybe some leftover Boy Scout pots & pans.

JD

I don't own the kind of smoker you are messing with but I almost bought a used one that is the electric version not the propane version.  While searching for mods I would do I ran across this inexpensive insulation solution

$25 on Amazon -

If you want to spend a little more money on insulation there is a vendor on ebay that sells stove/oven insulation that can handle any temps you would throw at it with your propane cooker (1000F). 

His prices were the best I could find online.  Basically 2ft X 1ft sheets for $8, BUT he cuts it from a roll so if you make two orders you get a 2ft x 2ft sheet, if you make three orders you get a 2ft x 3ft sheet, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302012622929?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I bought a 2ft x 2ft sheet so I could replace any foam insulation I removed and will remove from my two MES rewire jobs.

I'm also curious about the AMNPS route you may take.  It was going to be my approach for smoke generation.

Best of luck solving your issues and I hope some of this info helps you out  :)

Thanks TallBM!
I'll check both out. The cover is listed as 24" x 62". I can't tell how it is a cover with top and sides. Is there a third dimension I'm missing? Also, the 44XL is 24"w x 16"d x 35"h (from the top of the vents).

Thanks.

JD

Thanks TallBM!
I'll check both out. The cover is listed as 24" x 62". I can't tell how it is a cover with top and sides. Is there a third dimension I'm missing? Also, the 44XL is 24"w x 16"d x 35"h (from the top of the vents).

Thanks.

JD
This looks to be just one long sheet of mylar covered bubble wrap insulation, according to one of the amazon reviews.  It wraps around and velcros together. A number of the reviews state you can buy the same stuff at home depot for less and then just make yourself for much less money.

With that info it looks like it does not cover the top or bottom of the smoker and it wouldn't exactly meet your smokers 35" H requirement. 

I looked at reflective bubble insulation that Home depot carries and it is not rated for temperatures that would work for a smoker so I'm not sure the claims of doing it yourself with stuff at Home Depot are accurate.

My guess is that your insulation (as long as it can hold up to the temps) and a mylar sheet or a something like this welding blanket (1000F working temp)

You can get the job don building a cover like RJ Builder's or one like the Amazon item.

So this is what I did so far with the foil covered fiber glass.
The foil is VERY thin and tore VERY easily! I have the feeling it will become dumpster fodder very quickly.

JD

This looks to be just one long sheet of mylar covered bubble wrap insulation, according to one of the amazon reviews.  It wraps around and velcros together. A number of the reviews state you can buy the same stuff at home depot for less and then just make yourself for much less money.

With that info it looks like it does not cover the top or bottom of the smoker and it wouldn't exactly meet your smokers 35" H requirement. 
I looked at reflective bubble insulation that Home depot carries and it is not rated for temperatures that would work for a smoker so I'm not sure the claims of doing it yourself with stuff at Home Depot are accurate.

My guess is that your insulation (as long as it can hold up to the temps) and a mylar sheet or a something like this welding blanket (1000F working temp)
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10908A-Fiberglass-Welding-Grommets/dp/B0057RJD0E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486574962&sr=8-3&keywords=welding+blanket

You can get the job don building a cover like RJ Builder's or one like the Amazon item.

I'm not sure how much insulating this will do, but it's damn sure MUCH stronger. Maybe I can lay it over and tape it down.

JD

I use the bubble wrap stuff that was mentioned above(from home depot)without problems. No melting or foul odors. I have a smoke vault 24 propane fired.

Cool. How thick is the foil covering? The stuff I put on is thinner than paper! Does the smoke vault
have insulated walls?

Thanks

JD

The smoke vault is not insulated. I use the bubble wrap stuff with the mylar coating. Makes a big difference.

Not sure what the Mylar can do, but I'll sure check it out. I have a Lowe's close and a HD about 40 miles from me. I know Lowe's has something in stock, but how do I know what's what?

JD

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky