Jesus I just had a situation!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newflame

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Holdrege, NE
A little back story first, my partner and I started a catering business and we've been kicking a$$ to put it mildly, not a whole lot of good que in this town so people have been going crazy over it...we've been selling sandwiches at the farmer's market on thursday nights, and we also did an event recently for a golf tournament banquet and served about 300 people..things are going well....on to my situation.  We need to do a couple shoulders and a couple brisket flats for tomorrow night, so we rubbed everything down and I just ran home from work quick to start the MES and throw in the pork butts (my assignment), well I hadn't used the MES for awhile because we've been cooking on our big custom rig, anyways, I start it, get it to about 230, pour some water in the pan and get the wood chips going, then I go in the house to grab the butts..come back out and open the door and JESUS CHRIST THE WHOLE DAMN THING IS ABLAZE!! It seems that there was a bit of rendered animal fat that dripped down and caught the heating element, and that in turn caught everything else on fire..picture if you will, me in a business suit, holding a cookie pan with two rubbed down pork butts, throwing things that are currently on fire into my yard and screaming every curse word I could think of at the time..long story short I got it under control, got everything out and washed off, and now we're cooking...what a way to start a smoke :P

Sorry to hear you story. My wife must be related to yours because she is also laughing... She is from Riverdale...  Glad you salvaged all the goodies and were back in the swing of things...

Where was the drip pan with water to stop this from happening..

Keep up the good work on smoking...

When we talk about doing "high heat" brisket and butts, that is NOT what we are talking about!
biggrin.gif

Glad to hear no permanent damage was done, and everything turned out good. Nothing like a little fire to get the old heart rate going!

OH my Gawd this tread made me laugh out loud !!!!

Guess I might be related to your wife as well !!! Poor woman ! LMFAO !!!!!

Glad it all worked out for ya. Selling Que at the farmers market sounds like a sweet deal...........I'm going to have to look into that. Do tell more !

What kind of sides do you sell if any ?

How many lbs do you normaly go through in a day ?

How is it sold by the pound or per unit / sandwiches ?

Do you stick with pulled pork and brisket or do you do chickens or ribs also ?

haha, I would have laughed at you too.

Reminded me of the time I had the daughter to grab the ground round and didn't check after her... she got the high fat stuff.  Wife pattied it up I slapped it on the grill walked in to get a beverage and walked out and every patty on the grill was aflame.  Was a good laugh for everyone at the house, ended up having Mc'Donalds instead. :(

Now I only smoke my burgers!

OH my Gawd this tread made me laugh out loud !!!!

Guess I might be related to your wife as well !!! Poor woman ! LMFAO !!!!!

Glad it all worked out for ya. Selling Que at the farmers market sounds like a sweet deal...........I'm going to have to look into that. Do tell more !

What kind of sides do you sell if any ?

How many lbs do you normaly go through in a day ?

How is it sold by the pound or per unit / sandwiches ?

Do you stick with pulled pork and brisket or do you do chickens or ribs also ?
Yea, I live in a town of about 5000 so it's not too big, we only sell sandwiches as of right now, though we might try cole slaw tomorrow. Don't sell drinks as the ladies who run the market get the monopoly on lemonade and tea...lol, this will be our third week doing it, the first week was rainy and we sold about 40 sandwiches, the 2nd week was very nice out and word had started to get around that they had bbq at the farmer's market and we sold about 100 or so, last week we did pulled pork, smoked turkey breast (left over from the golf tournament) and brisket, this week we'll be doing the same, though we're almost out of turkey..the turkey seems to be the best selling so far, we sell the pp for 4.00 and the other two for 4.50..the gals who are in charge say we'll more than likely be selling 200-300 by the 5th week or so as word gets around..looking forward to it, though it's a lot of work. 

I figure I ought to get some qview up for everyone after that long story..stay tuned.

WOW  !!!!!!Those  butt's look killer !

After seeing your que view I can see why you are doing so well.

Hell I'd be standing in your line for sure.

Sounds like you got a good deal going there.

Best of luck to you.

Oh and thank you for the help .

Dan

thanks dan, the butts were just about done this morning so they're resting in the foil and cooler right now, more pics to come!

I can just hear your neighbors...

... Honey, the neighbor next door is throwing meat in the yard again, go over and see what were having for dinner.

Sorry Couldn't resist.

Glad no one was hurt by any UFFM's

Unidentified Flaming Flying Meats.

Man that is funny and upsetting too-did you have to get any permits for food sales or be inspected? Is there some point when that will be necessary (over so many sandwiches or butts, lbs of meat, etc.) I had a friend in Iowa that did that, had a trailer and everything.

Just curious about the process, we have a farmer market here too. It sounds like a great time and profitable too! Good luck in the future smoking!

did you have to get any permits for food sales or be inspected?
Yea, we have to have a couple of things in our district, our health inspector is pretty easy to get along with if you stay in the same region, like..we can sell at our local farmer's market getting by with the bare minimum..basically we have 3 plastic tubs, a bottle of dish soap, and an old coffee percolator that is filled with water..sounds stupid but that's what he said we need to have.  Now, if next year we decide that we'd like to do some festivals or things of that sort, that we'd have to travel out of our respective region for, we would need to have an enclosed system (trailer) with 3 sinks, a hand sink, hot water heater, waste water, drain boards, etc..of course all that stuff costs money to get/build so we're just saving everything we can to get to the point where we can buy/build a concession trailer free and clear.

Quote:
I can just hear your neighbors...

... Honey, the neighbor next door is throwing meat in the yard again, go over and see what were having for dinner.

Sorry Couldn't resist.

Glad no one was hurt by any UFFM's

Unidentified Flaming Flying Meats.
 lol yea pretty much, my neighbors are about 80 years old, I mow their lawn and take care of their garden for them for free, so they pretty much let me throw whatever flaming objects i like.

Sounds like you guys got a greats start! Having to much business is always a good problem to have!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky