Jelly like blood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lehmeow

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 23, 2015
Northeast PA
Hi, is it normal to have a strawberry jelly like blood coming out of the bacon?
While slicing, I had some oozing out. I hot smoked.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

It's probably myoglobin and not blood.  Myoglobin and nitrites assist in keeping the "red" in meats.  Myoglobins turns reddish when exposed to oxygen and nitrites.

What temp did you hot smoke to?

Animals are bled out as part of processing, so other than a clot in bruised muscle, there is no blood in commercial meat. That said, if the meat was cold when sliced, it is possible to have some pooled meat juices that gelatinized ooze out...JJ 

Yes the meat was cold. Looked like a hole through the meat where it was coming out. Definitely looked just like jelly if that helps. Myoglobin sounds right.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I would agree that without curing, it is definitely not bacon - its half cooked pork belly.  I'm not sure of the food safety ramifications of not curing it, but I'm sure others can chime in.

Edit:   Nevermind - I see you asked about this on another post and got your answers.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky