Jelepeno, Cheddar summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle_lar

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 4, 2009
Hennepin, Illinois
I did up a batch of Jalapeno and cheddar venison summer sausage last night. I was kind of beat and didnt get any pics of the prep, but here they are over hickory in the GOSM. they are running about 160* now after 2 hrs @ 140* will pull them T 152* the small one will be done first Im sure. the other 6 will take longer as they are larger diameter.
I will post more Qview of the finished product after they cool over night
thanks for looking.

Tis the season for some wonderful SS..
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Those are lookin real good!!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
But no pics of the prep?????
eek.gif
icon_sad.gif

We need a tutorial, complete with pics.......
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Looks really good. You say after 2 hours smoking @ 160* they are already up to 140*?

I'm currently smoking 10# of SS and started out at 6 AM this morning @ 125* for the first 4 hours, then kicked up to 160-165. After 8 hours smoking, they are stuck on 133* (smoker at 165* +/-). They have been for 2 hours. Tested with a different thermometer and got the same reading.

I am keeping a set of time lines to chart this. (homemade drum smoker.....a gasser).

They look good really good. I wish you would have taken some prep Qview but thats alright this time the next time we will...........

After 2 hrs of 140* smoker temp I ramped the smoker to 160*
no, the sausage is not at 140*
In fact right now after 7.5 hrs they are sitting at about 138*
have to be patient and not turn up the smoker they will come up.
Im using a GOSM and temps are holding steady in the smoker
I have not added any more chips I had good smoke for 5+ hrs now its just cooking.
I will post when they are done.
good luck with yours

they were finally done at about 9:30 last night
they took about 13 hrs.
I cooled and refrigerated. I will take some shots of it sliced up later today after church stay tuned!

ok, here it is, the final product after cooling overnight.
It turned out great. just the right hint of jalapeno taste and little to any heat.
I used regular shreaded sharp cheddar and some of it melted a little but still turned out good. think I will try crumbled or cubed cheddar next time.
I still dont think its worth the expense of the high temp cheese.
I am also going to always make the larger diameter from now on.
I will save the smaller casings for salami or pepperoni.
thanks for looking!

Well it's about time!!!!! LMAO
biggrin.gif

Lookin good!!!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Are those air pockets I see???? If so, were they do to the cheese melting???

Great looking SS there. I'm glad to hear regular cheese works pretty good. I will probably cube my own as well.

yes, a few little air pockets due to cheese melt.
I will cube the cheese next time instead of using course shreded

How about the receipe, I have some ground venison that I need to thaw out and use pretty soon. How long did it take for those to get to temp?

summer sausage recipe out of Rytek's book
then I added the cheese and jalepanos
I have a 30# batch total 20# venison, 10# pork butt
I used 12 fresh jalepanos, seeds removed an chopped
and 4 cups of course shredded sharp cheddar cheese

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky